Jason Williams "White chocolate" Appreciation thread!

Ah, Brett Nelson. I remember reading about him in Prep Stars back in the day. They always said he was the 2nd coming.

I have a co-worker from Charleston that says Brett was some trash though. 

Your co worker sounds like a clown, dude was a top 15 prospect coming out high school with Jay Willams and Jason Gardner being the only points ranked higher. Made first team SEC his first year starting as a sophomore. He fell off hard after that however.

I remember. I have the 1999 McDonald's All American game on Tape around here somewhere. He had a few highlights. Saw him work down Florida with Ted Dupay.

My guy Jason woulda flourished with the vine clips

That sac 55 n his Memphis jersey still some of my all time faves

Last edited:
Every White PG for the next while after gave him credit as an inspiration

Mike Nardi
Luke Ridnour
Dan Dickau
Brett Nelson

Just to name a few

[QUOTE name="TheGoldenChild"]
Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

good player.. fun to watch.. only going to memphis put shackles on his game... still dont like the name "white chocolate".. like white people cant have a flashy game.. either way...i remember paul pierce, vince carter and jason williams fighting for rookie of the year

Yeah Memphis did put shackles on his game...and the thing about white dudes being flashy is Pistol Pete was one of the best to ever do it in terms of ball handling and passing so I wouldn't say white people couldn't have a flashy game by giving him that nickname. I just think Jason was doing it in an era where it was mostly black dudes being flashy, and had Pistol Pete come on the scene later the perception probably would have been different.

[/quote]

I wouldn't say "shackles" on his game but I would say Coach Brown taught Jason how to be a legit point guard in the League and not a novelty. You don't have Hubie's tutelage in Memphis, I don't think Jason goes on to win a ring in Miami.

Man, Hubie Brown was great for Jason Williams. It helped him mature into better point guard. He still had flashes, but as he got older, he couldn't do that same stuff he did before.

Don't disrespect Hubie man

Jason excelled under Hubie in Memphis he even lead the league in assist to turnover ratio who would gave predicted that?

He fed Gasol and Swift and ran an offense precisely he was an upgraded JWill.

What killed his time in Memphis was them hiring Mike Fratello he hated him n wanted out.

JWill in Miami was no accident Shaq begged GMs to get him n Pat finaly did its also said that Pat Riley was amazed that Jason memorized the Heats entire playbook for every guy he wasnt just flash he had a bball brain.

Even his later days with Orlando he still had it all

My favourite player ever there will never be another guy like him with that impact so glad I saw the entirety of his career and he earned a Ring

Definitely a unique talent, hope we see another sort of this player again...

The number of times he got me in trouble for either trying some of that stuff in a game or even working on it in practice was unbelievable. When I was a kid, growing up the midwest it was tough with him playing on the west coast. I used to wake up early just to watch SportsCenter to see what he had done the night before.

Those Jazz-Kings Series were epic!

Back
Top Bottom