JAVA PROGRAMMERS OR ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH JAVA HELP!!!! I literally need to learn it overnight :-0

The worst thing you can do is not give yourself a chance! This is an internship. They're not expecting you to be a lead developer! Go freaken torrent abook and learn as much as you can. Be honest when they ask you, work problems through from what little you have learned, and see where it goes.

Jesus. The worst is that you don't get the position that you don't even currently have right now. What's the harm?

Originally Posted by In3gra

java sucks. language has a huge library. I rather program in C# or vb
lol I do this stuff professionally (well not pro but I do get paid lol).. so what are you talking about? Microsoft = king of bloat.

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

The worst thing you can do is not give yourself a chance! This is an internship. They're not expecting you to be a lead developer! Go freaken torrent a book and learn as much as you can. Be honest when they ask you, work problems through from what little you have learned, and see where it goes.

Jesus. The worst is that you don't get the position that you don't even currently have right now. What's the harm?
Naw, I`m a slick talker, but I`m talking about stressing over learning the stuff, I`m going to try to read up on the stuff still though

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

The worst thing you can do is not give yourself a chance! This is an internship. They're not expecting you to be a lead developer! Go freaken torrent a book and learn as much as you can. Be honest when they ask you, work problems through from what little you have learned, and see where it goes.

Naw, I`m a slick talker, but I`m talking about stressing over learning the stuff, I`m going to try to read up on the stuff still though
Sure.. Learn the very very basic fundamentals..
And learn how to write / manipulate a linked list (always a popular thing to ask during an entry level interview)..

Anyways good luck.. And for anyone who says that you can't learn enough overnight.. they have no idea what they're talking about lol..
Oh, and if it helps at all.. I am a lead developer.. and there are co-ops (interns) at my work so I know what we're looking for and what they know..

Listen to this man. you already told the chick you don't know it. Just learn as much as you can, show some initiative...they liekd you for areason and they know a lot of people inflate their programming experience (not on purpose...but by lack of programming experience... people abuse"familiar with" on their resume and everyone thinks they're proficient @ excel...but they're not..)

And besides...is this a strict programming job? your responsibilities might not be even that in depth...my last gig required it...I didn't touch it once

roll.gif
roll.gif
I took an entire semester of Java and I didnt get it. At first it was easymaking classes, creating programs to add numbers and sorting lists. Then we got to methods and I was okay thats it I'll stick to using computers instead ofmaking software for computers. You can learn the terms but good luck getting everything to work. Debugging was a pain...looking for a period that was missingor added
mad.gif

Originally Posted by LeftyJeenyus

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

haha If only I used torrents

freak I know its more cats who can help or at least give insight man
frown.gif

you tryna do java but don't know torrents?
might as well continue being mr.bowtie
roll.gif
roll.gif

For my internship at RIM, they asked me if I had any experience with databases. I hadn't taken any of those courses yet so I was just honest and I toldthen no, but I could pick it up really quick. The manager told me it wasn't a big deal and that I could learn it as I go. As long as programming isn'ta huge part of the position, it could be alright. Definitely give it a go anyways. The worst that could happen is you don't get the job and gain someexperience with interviews.

Definitely don't try to bull **** your way through an interview though. It never works. My best advice is to be honest and answer the best way you knowhow.

Originally Posted by torontoRaptor15

For my internship at RIM, they asked me if I had any experience with databases. I hadn't taken any of those courses yet so I was just honest and I told then no, but I could pick it up really quick. The manager told me it wasn't a big deal and that I could learn it as I go. As long as programming isn't a huge part of the position, it could be alright. Definitely give it a go anyways. The worst that could happen is you don't get the job and gain some experience with interviews.

Definitely don't try to bull **** your way through an interview though. It never works. My best advice is to be honest and answer the best way you know how.
pimp.gif

Comp Sci major here.

You're S.O.L. if you really need to know Java by tomorrow. If you know any other languages, there's some similarities in programming methods (as in,ways of implementing stuff), but as far as syntax/declarations/ADTs/etc goes, it's pretty hard to get even the basics down in a week, let alone one night.

EDIT: Actually, the syntax is kind of easy to get as you go along, but knowing everything that happens behind it and getting everything to work together ispretty hard.

Back
Top Bottom