Jay Electronica Disguised His Voice To Avoid Hip-Hop Prejudice [ Once Ashamed To Be From The South]

Originally Posted by JOSH4523

sounds like some people are really trying to find something to hate jay electronica on. So many hypocrites on this board, people say "who cares that rick rossifer was a correctional officer, he makes good music", i dont see why it wouldnt apply to this. As far as things being said of who this guy is and giving long interviews, well he is a emcee and he has things to say and i dont see why he isnt allowed to speak for an hour just because he dosnt have enought material out, completely irrelevant in music period. Music isnt about having tons of material or how many records you sell, its only about quality and always is about creating music for the pure fact for the love of making it and expressing your voice through song.
rappin for 3 minutes aint a song... tell that !@*%! write some hooks...

but yea his @#@! and ross' is different... ross got found out and he STILL puttin on for his city... this dude was a fraud from jump street... how u not rep where u from? i just cant picture that @#@!...

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

sounds like some people are really trying to find something to hate jay electronica on. So many hypocrites on this board, people say "who cares that rick rossifer was a correctional officer, he makes good music", i dont see why it wouldnt apply to this. As far as things being said of who this guy is and giving long interviews, well he is a emcee and he has things to say and i dont see why he isnt allowed to speak for an hour just because he dosnt have enought material out, completely irrelevant in music period. Music isnt about having tons of material or how many records you sell, its only about quality and always is about creating music for the pure fact for the love of making it and expressing your voice through song.

but yea his @#@! and ross' is different... ross got found out and he STILL puttin on for his city... this dude was a fraud from jump street... how u not rep where u from? i just cant picture that @#@!...
But he does rep where he's from in like almost all his songs, there are even some songs where he gets at NY for bitting off Southern rapper slang and overall their overall music
he is just saying that type of music he makes people wouldn't expect that from a southern rapper and would treat him some type of way for not making that "gucci or waka flaka" type of music. just the fact that some of ya don't believe he's from N.O shows that

MoneyMike703 wrote:
get that " THATS WACK" talk outta here, hes not saying hes embarrassed cause of where hes from, just that the rappers that come from the south are wack and he didnt want his name to be associated with theirs , there are gems but the majority are stones.

Thats like Nas disguising his voice so he wont be associated with all the wack rappers from New York

"F This figga....I dont even know him" - J Dawg  

That cleared some things up on his accent.
As for the argument, I see it as him switchin
his accent up to get him into more doors. Who
knows, maybe if he didnt, we wouldnt be having
this discussion, or wouldnt have checked for his
music kuz we woulda brushed him off as another
CMB/NL type of NO rapper.

how u not rep where u from? i just cant picture that @#@!...
So is Pac a fraud cause he was more mixed up than any other rapper about his origins???

As you said, you mention Cleveland all the time.  Dude spent a year out in LA and started repping the city like he founded it.

Wow, if you really believe that putting a hook is what makes a song a song. You dont have to have a hook, there are no rules in music fool, the song is the subject matter(and of course the one and only main factor which is the musical part of it whether it being a beat or sound) of what the artist is trying to convey or what they are wanting to express.

as far as the rossifer situation, like you said he didnt admit it and STILL got a pass because "who cares, he makes music i like". Jay admitted of something he did in the past, not from lying and it being later revealed. He makes good music so "who cares, he makes good music" also applies (hopefully that put us on the same page with what i was meaning with above statement) So theres no reason for the crucifixion of jay. Your point of him not repping his city is void, because obviously if you listened to his music, he reps New orleans many times through out his catalog, so therefore all your statements are void towards jay.

Yall some of the most backwards N's in the world fareal....yall condemning this minor a$s **** here, and in the same breath co-signing Ross situation?

I dont even see the problem. Rap or no rap, you know how many people are raised in one place, but move somewhere else & have their accent chances, whether purposely or not? The N' (as the story goes) moved around Philly & VA, was homeless in Detroit before he got put on there, moved to Brooklyn, adopted Five Percenter knowledge. He's not about to come out of those life experiences sounding like Juvenile & B.G.

On the rap side, being around all Detroit/NY rappers & producers for pretty much your whole recording career, over Mr Porter & Dilla beats & being in that circle, its gonna wear off on you whether you force it or not. And with all that being said, damn near every song and interview I've heard, he shouts the $$+* out all the time. How is that not "reppin"? Family got old bounce records with Lil Flip and $$+* lol.

Chill Ez you're making sense you know thats frowned upon around these parts
smh.gif

laugh.gif
$%@%%@ been doing this tho but I can understand even more so being from the South with the stereotype of most of the rappers from the area.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

how u not rep where u from? i just cant picture that @#@!...
So is Pac a fraud cause he was more mixed up than any other rapper about his origins???

As you said, you mention Cleveland all the time.  Dude spent a year out in LA and started repping the city like he founded it.
it dont make u a fraud... it makes u somethin else... it just makes ur way of thinkin wack... "they not gone accept me for me let me be from somewhere else." that sounds stupid... do you...

Thats like a NY producer trying to hide his east coast accent so southerners would respect him as a musician

Originally Posted by MoneyMike703

get that " THATS WACK" talk outta here, hes not saying hes embarrassed cause of where hes from, just that the rappers that come from the south are wack and he didnt want his name to be associated with theirs , there are gems but the majority are stones.

that %%$* is WACK... IM FROM WACK *%# CLEVELAND... i say that %%$* in damn near every song... i dont give a #%@%... that %%$* is corny... he still sound like a east coast %@@$! anyway... how the #%@% u gone b ashamed of yo region? that is ******ed... u sposed to rep and change how they think of yall...
cuz once i hear "oh he's from da south" i'll usually never play you again....you gotta holla at NYC cats to see any kind of shine
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

that %%$* is WACK... IM FROM WACK *%# CLEVELAND... i say that %%$* in damn near every song... i dont give a #%@%... that %%$* is corny... he still sound like a east coast %@@$! anyway... how the #%@% u gone b ashamed of yo region? that is ******ed... u sposed to rep and change how they think of yall...
cuz once i hear "oh he's from da south" i'll usually never play you again....you gotta holla at NYC cats to see any kind of shine
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
u dont really believe that...

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
not since the turn of the century

so he basically groomed his voice to sound like he could be from anywhere...anywhere but the south lol

pretty lame

actors do it too tho, which is perfect since rap is the new act

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

Yall some of the most backwards N's in the world fareal....yall condemning this minor a$s **** here, and in the same breath co-signing Ross situation?

I dont even see the problem. Rap or no rap, you know how many people are raised in one place, but move somewhere else & have their accent chances, whether purposely or not? The N' (as the story goes) moved around Philly & VA, was homeless in Detroit before he got put on there, moved to Brooklyn, adopted Five Percenter knowledge. He's not about to come out of those life experiences sounding like Juvenile & B.G.

On the rap side, being around all Detroit/NY rappers & producers for pretty much your whole recording career, over Mr Porter & Dilla beats & being in that circle, its gonna wear off on you whether you force it or not. And with all that being said, damn near every song and interview I've heard, he shouts the $$+* out all the time. How is that not "reppin"? Family got old bounce records with Lil Flip and $$+* lol.
/thread

i see we have some humans with common sense on this board
smh.gif

Originally Posted by cartune

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
not since the turn of the century

Word.
laugh.gif

Where this dude been at for the last few years?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
u dont really believe that...
oh really? i can pretty much guarantee that if your not being played on hot97 and your from da south your career isn't doing anything.....

oh really? i can pretty much guarantee that if your not being played on hot97 and your from da south your career isn't doing anything.....
tired.gif

hot 97 been late with southern trends...
Unk, trick daddy (you know nan days), wayne, were big before hot97 played them once

Back
Top Bottom