Jay Electronica Disguised His Voice To Avoid Hip-Hop Prejudice [ Once Ashamed To Be From The South]

Yeah Hot 97 has definitely been behind the curve on the South for quite some time
laugh.gif
...I dunno what you're talking about

That %%%$ is WACK.
Hes ashamed to be from the south, because we have wack rappers?

Andre 3k

Big Boi

Scarface

Cee Lo

Bun B

Pimp C

just to name a few are wack now??

And for people saying the south has a majority of wack rappers, with a few gems, why couldnt he be one of the gems?

Why couldnt he try and change the way the south is viewed?

!%*# Jay Electronica...Dude got like 3 songs anyway...lazy %*# %%@%#.

Does this *$##@ ever shutup? and him being "ashamed" of being from the south doesn't make alot of since to me since wack rappers from the south have been getting in the game at a way more alarming rate than good rappers from anywhere else. This dude got wild skills but he is a odee cornball and his mouth is too big to ever make it "big time"

Originally Posted by jupiterjaywall

That %%%$ is WACK.
Hes ashamed to be from the south, because we have wack rappers?

Andre 3k

Big Boi

Scarface

Cee Lo

Bun B

Pimp C

just to name a few are wack now??

And for people saying the south has a majority of wack rappers, with a few gems, why couldnt he be one of the gems?

Why couldnt he try and change the way the south is viewed?

!%*# Jay Electronica...Dude got like 3 songs anyway...lazy %*# %%@%#.
Try 40 songs

i honestly dont want to hear another interview from him untl act2 drops. its been more than 2 months since it was promised to drop

But 50 sounded southern & he was rappin over west coast production for the most part...

Then Game came, he sounded like he was from the east...

Its BEEN goin on for sometime...

As I said before, it was more of a business move then ANYthing, I've only heard 2 songs from this cat, and that vid EZ posted was my first time seeing dude...

We as hip hop fans pigeonhole EVERYthing, no matter where you're from, when you hear a cat is from a certain place the FIRST thing you wanna do is compare him to the last guy you heard from said city...

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

That cleared some things up on his accent.
As for the argument, I see it as him switchin
his accent up to get him into more doors. Who
knows, maybe if he didnt, we wouldnt be having
this discussion, or wouldnt have checked for his
music kuz we woulda brushed him off as another
CMB/NL type of NO rapper.
/thread

some of yall are reading way too much into this.

Yea ya'll damn right that *#% is wack. I lost a little respect for him with this. I'm still a fan but he should've never came out with this *#%. This is the type of N I HATE. Whether he be from the South, East or Midwest wherever. I hate cats who are ashamed where they're from. Because of the perception that the South is slow? That's some ol' self hatred type talk right there.

some of yall dudes trippin like for real for real...he never said ASHAMED ONCE IN THAT ARTICLE....HE SAID EMBARRASSED AND FURTHER SAID THAT WASNT EVEN THE RIGHT WORD TO USE

how old are some of yall that u cant realize or foresee when you bout to get played or not walking into a situation....especially if its happening repeatedly

so yall tellin me, its "ASHAMED "  "EMBARRASSED"  "tryin to find a way in the game and dont wanna get played cuz im from the south, or boxed in cuz im from the south"= WACK?????

Originally Posted by IKnowRap

some of yall dudes trippin like for real for real...he never said ASHAMED ONCE IN THAT ARTICLE....HE SAID EMBARRASSED AND FURTHER SAID THAT WASNT EVEN THE RIGHT WORD TO USE

how old are some of yall that u cant realize or foresee when you bout to get played or not walking into a situation....especially if its happening repeatedly

so yall tellin me, its "ASHAMED "  "EMBARRASSED"  "tryin to find a way in the game and dont wanna get played cuz im from the south, or boxed in cuz im from the south"= WACK?????
Yea it is wack. You're probably speaking from a fans perspective. And i'm a fan of his too but its wack. He shouldn't be condemnded for it. He went and snagged up some NY cats along the way. But he only did it because the thought he was from the East.
laugh.gif
I personally think its wack. Ashamed or Embarrassed what's the difference? Both are attributed of a self hatin' N.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

WHO CARES?! DUDE DROPS 3 SONGS A YEAR AND THINKS HES GOT ENOUGH CHIPS TO START DOING 1.5HR LONG INTERVIEWS...WHO IS THIS KID? AT LEAST OTHER ARTISTS WITH HYPE HAVE A CATALOG TO MATCH....

I think dudes music, of it thats out, is dope...no hate there...but who cares man...This guy is playing himself if you ask me...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i agree

these suburb dudes don't get that if u from a bama town in Nowhere's vile USA or from da south da rap fans is already gonna draw conclusions

to how nice you are.....all of ya do that subconsciencely anyways...

if i compared 2 rappers, 1 from NYC & one from ATL you AUTOMATICALLY gonna assume da cat from NYC got nicer bars without

ever hearing they music.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

these suburb dudes don't get that if u from a bama town in Nowhere's vile USA or from da south da rap fans is already gonna draw conclusions

if i compared 2 rappers, 1 from NYC & one from ATL you AUTOMATICALLY gonna assume da cat from NYC got nicer bars without

ever hearing they music.

only east coast rap fans are gonna do that tho... and we know yall aint the end all be all of %*++... bunch of punchline loving bastards...

All dukes was saying that in the beginning he wasn't given a fair shot because of what the south was known for at that time, and added to that he had a thick southern accent, so not only were people initially prejudice against him, they also wasn't trying to understand what he was saying. When you couple that with his insecurities it made him feel small and not so much not claim his roots but he wasn't openly representing it, almost as if he was "ashamed" of it.

ever hearing they music.

Surburbia? Man you the one over here thinking like an elitist N. That elitist attitude with your head held up and lookin' down on everyone who don't look or sound like you. That's how you sounding right now. And that's why what Jay said is wack to me. Why try to appease these idiot elitists? Ain't no money in appeasing these idiots anyway. One day you dudes gonna realize that we all are on the same team. Ya'll keep trying to segregate the rap game but we're all playing for the same team. Hip hop.

ever hearing they music. 
Cats won't admit it, but THATs true..

& it doesn't really matter where you're from, its more of where do YOU sound like you're from...

Someone like Jay Elect or a J Cole their sound is closer to what we've heard from traditional east coast artists, with Cole he said he was a fan of East Coast music for years so its no surprise that his music has those same elements...

I think their sound is more accepted on the east, more so then they would be in their homestates, they seen that too and its prolly part if the reason they relocated...

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

ever hearing they music. 

& it doesn't really matter where you're from, its more of where do YOU sound like you're from...

Someone like Jay Elect or a J Cole their sound is closer to what we've heard from traditional east coast artists, with Cole he said he was a fan of East Coast music for years so its no surprise that his music has those same elements...

I think their sound is more accepted on the east, more so then they would be in their homestates, they seen that too and its prolly part if the reason they relocated...

who cares about u assuming their albility tho?

u listen to maino... aint *#*% lyrical about that *!!%%... it aint all about lyrics... ny cats seem to love jeezy...

yall keep typin the reasoning behind it... #@+$ the reasons... its wack regardless... it was a %$$#% move...

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Yea it is wack. You're probably speaking from a fans perspective. And i'm a fan of his too but its wack. He shouldn't be condemnded for it. He went and snagged up some NY cats along the way. But he only did it because the thought he was from the East.
laugh.gif
I personally think its wack. Ashamed or Embarrassed what's the difference? Both are attributed of a self hatin' N.

Not really a fans persepective....Consider yaself a rapper from Louisiana, home of No Limit, Cash Money, Trill whatever you know the background, you know after u say "Dirty South" theres one thought after u say "Louisiana" there will be another thought....

if your style is nothing similiar to the cats u getting grouped with and people not taking your word for it....what would u do? (keep in mind u not down South no more where its all love unless u just wack)

A cat can peep a NO cat off slang alone and have it made up in ur mind that he prolly gon rap just like he talk. BOOM door close...so what would u do?

Or say the label wants to sign u but got a twisted view of you and wanna ride the down south wave and tell u to spit the best rhymes bout broads rims and drugs, what would u do?

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

ever hearing they music. 

*%% ..do yall ny %%%%*% know that nobody thinks your artists are hot anymore
smh.gif
.. the average joe will say wayne is the best rapper alive... so why the %%@# would anybody care where jay elect is from ... cali's not know for BARS as yall like to put it. and you dont judge nipsey or wack !+@ Game ... jay elect was a $*#!# for that ... and yall act like it matters, he prolly would of had a better chance to go mainstream with his accent.

bottomline is if da east rocks with you (which includes A TON OF MEDIA OUTLETS & PRESS) so will everyone else....its not always true da other way around.

bottomline is if da east rocks with you (which includes A TON OF MEDIA OUTLETS & PRESS) so will everyone else....its not always true da other way around.
so thats why jada sells all them copies?

thats why papoose is poppin?

jae millz anybody?

oh i forgot u a freck billionaire fan

^ Yea Time just kilt that statement....but I think there is another side to that I agree with

NY cats thats not on cant sound like they from anywhere and cant rap like they have ever been anywhere which leaves them right in New York and never getting on

like Lil Boosie gon get played all over cuz overall the hoods outside of NYC which yall consider "country" are more intune with wut he talkin bout than dudes spitting bout stuff in NYC

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

so thats why jada sells all them copies?

thats why papoose is poppin?

jae millz anybody?

oh i forgot u a freck billionaire fan
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Ny's hottest artist right now is nicki minaj and who she signed to ... hmmm ... the real bottomline rap how you want, but there was no purpose of coming out saying that in an interview
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom