Jay Electronica Disguised His Voice To Avoid Hip-Hop Prejudice [ Once Ashamed To Be From The South]

Originally Posted by iLLscan

The funny thing is I'm anticipating Jay's eventual retail release more than any release from an East Coast artist.

given dude's work ethic i think ull be waiting awhile...

I think we'll get a Andre 3000 solo album, Detox and a Mack Maine album before we see a Jay Electronica release.

Wow!

Yall dudes are getting real 'crabs in a bucket', 'inferiority complex' about your man's comments.

That's your issue, not mine.................... My curiosity still remains.

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Originally Posted by Master Zik

This is what people don't agree with......

""I have to admit, you know, a few years ago, I wouldn't haveadmitted this — or maybe I wouldn't have been conscious of it in a wayto admit or be embarrassed — but in my earlier years from when I firstleft home, I was embarrassed from being from the South," he added. "Notin general, but as a rapper because all of the negative things thatpeople in the States put on the South."
If I was a rapper from the South not on the shh the majority of them were doing at that time(and currently now) I'd be embarrassed of them and distance myself as much as I could. I'm not even from the South and just as a hip hop fan I'm embarrassed for a lot of them.

But they trappin and makin money AYE!!!!!!!!!

Right?
smh.gif
That's fine if you'd be embarrassed.  I wouldn't change my accent up to distance myself from the region that birthed me. That's where me and Jay differ at.

BTW, why are you embarassed? Or why would you be embarrassed that is? And who is it that would make you feel embarassed about how some people make music?
Meh I wouldn't make an effort to change my accent but I know how those things naturally change when you stay in a certain spot long enough.

I'm embarrassed cuz I feel some of the music and videos and the way they portray themselves are a joke. Any rapper that purposely makes ##%% music is embarassing to me even if it is funny.

Originally Posted by iLLscan

Wow!

Yall dudes are getting real 'crabs in a bucket', 'inferiority complex' about your man's comments.

That's your issue, not mine.................... My curiosity still remains.

him not releasing any material has nothing to do with the comments... im still waitin on the mixtape i was supposed to get on new years
ohwell.gif

""I have to admit, you know, a few years ago, I wouldn't haveadmitted this — or maybe I wouldn't have been conscious of it in a wayto admit or be embarrassed — but in my earlier years from when I firstleft home, I was embarrassed from being from the South," he added. "Notin general, but as a rapper because all of the negative things thatpeople in the States put on the South."
If I was a rapper from the South not on the shh the majority of them were doing at that time(and currently now) I'd be embarrassed of them and distance myself as much as I could. I'm not even from the South and just as a hip hop fan I'm embarrassed for a lot of them.

Right?
smh.gif
That's fine if you'd be embarrassed.  I wouldn't change my accent up to distance myself from the region that birthed me. That's where me and Jay differ at.

BTW, why are you embarassed? Or why would you be embarrassed that is? And who is it that would make you feel embarassed about how some people make music?
Meh I wouldn't make an effort to change my accent but I know how those things naturally change when you stay in a certain spot long enough.

I'm embarrassed cuz I feel some of the music and videos and the way they portray themselves are a joke. Any rapper that purposely makes ##%% music is embarassing to me even if it is funny.
He said he disguised his accent so its not just some natural change. He put forth the effort to change it.

But doesn't being embarassed come from insecurities within yourself? Ever since when did we become "embarassed" to do what we do? To make our music? There's no right way to live. There's no right way to make music. Yet, you dudes feel that there is. We do us in the South. And I have more respect for us doing US than I would someone who's ashamed to be who they are in fear of not being accepted by another region or class of people.

Right?
smh.gif

He said he disguised his accent so its not just some natural change. He put forth the effort to change it.

But doesn't being embarassed come from insecurities within yourself? Ever since when did we become "embarassed" to do what we do? To make our music? There's no right way to live. There's no right way to make music. Yet, you dudes feel that there is. We do us in the South. And I have more respect for us doing US than I would someone who's ashamed to be who they are in fear of not being accepted by another region or class of people.
It was his choice can't fault him for it. I did say if I was in his shoes I'd distance myself as much as I could. Listening to homey voice now tho I would've never guessed he from the South let alone NO. The fact that he made an effort to shows how much he abhorred that #*@% and wanted no parts of it. Probably felt he couldn't get a fair shake with the accent. People have discriminated for less.

I don't see how being embarrassed and recognizing when something is embarrassing as a hip hop fan has to do with my insecurities or lack thereof. I mean I'm sure that definition may have some meaning in other situations but not in this one for me.

I don't know where you going with this we talk either. I wish we could straight up tell @#%*%! stop it but unfortunately that's not the case. I never said anything about right or wrong either but if if an individual or a group of them can see something as a joke then it's a joke to them. Go ahead and do you but I'm not surprised when one of your own don't wanna be grouped in that shh yall seem to be proud of...

I like how he turned the accent on when that lady came
laugh.gif
and o yea yall dudes is buggin niketalk is the only place that thinks that highly of Andre 3000 if u was to ask any of the rappers out right now who inspired them to rap and who are in they opinion are the greatest of all time none of them Ns is sayin andre 3000 cut it out with that already you'll hear (krs, rakim, kane, jay-z, big, pac, nas, cube) artist that shook up the music industry and impacted with their style of lyrics as for GROUPS are concerned (run dmc, nwa, wu, mobb, p.e, de la) come on b yall got selective memory ?

I still think its mad confusion going on, on dude comments tho.....is this any different from talking professional in front of a future employer on a job interview or for a future opportunity???

If the future employer knows just a lil bit about u, where ur from your area and things associated with it and he feels its negative, wouldn’t you try to disguise that at first so he could move past what he thought and focus on you the individual?

I understand the viewpoint of turning ur back on ya hood but I dont think this is a case of that

Back
Top Bottom