Jay Electronica Disguised His Voice To Avoid Hip-Hop Prejudice [ Once Ashamed To Be From The South]

http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/jay-electronica-disguised-his

Jay Electronica experienced some hip-hop prejudice when people heard the Southern twang in his voice — so he started disguising it.

"I would go somewhere — I would go to an open mic and when theyheard my accent and not understand what I'm saying, it would just be adoor-closer," Jay told MTV UK on a recent trip to Europe. "I made apoint in being able to speak in a certain way that I wouldn't get thedoor closed on me. All of these things make me who I am now, you know.

"I have to admit, you know, a few years ago, I wouldn't haveadmitted this — or maybe I wouldn't have been conscious of it in a wayto admit or be embarrassed — but in my earlier years from when I firstleft home, I was embarrassed from being from the South," he added. "Notin general, but as a rapper because all of the negative things thatpeople in the States put on the South. Like, 'The South, they're slow.They move slow, they think slow, they're less intelligent. They're lessexposed, they're underexposed, they're more sheltered.' So as a rapper— I've been rapping since I was 10 years old — I always had a feelingof 'I'm gonna show you' because we down here doing it. Not that I wasembarrassed necessarily — I don't know if that's the correct word — butI know that when I left home, if someone had heard my accent and heardwhere I was from, the door was immediately closed."

Electronica said he had to adapt and become a chameleon on the mic.While trying to break into the music industry, he moved betweendifferent cities such as New York, Atlanta and Chicago.

"I kind of stiff-armed my roots for a couple of years," the Brooklyntransplant continued of his journey. "Then my sister told me one day,'You know, you act like you're ashamed of being from home.' It was likea reality check. I checked myself. I mean, this is years ago, but nowI'm at a place where I understand where I'm from. I understand myculture and I'm more proud to be from there than associate withsomewhere else."

Despite trying to hide his roots early on, Jay thinks back to the early days of New Orleans hip-hop with a smile.

"I'm from New Orleans and there's a certain type of music," heexplained. "I come from a bounce culture — bounce music. You been toNew Orleans a couple times, you probably heard of the bounce music.It's a part of me; I grew up with bounce music. It's call-and-response,it's trance, it's tribal, it's communal, it's African, it's based inAfrica ... the energy of it."

that is WHACK
laugh.gif
. Don't know why he ever came out with that

I wouldn't say he was trying to cater its just that his type of flow is usually expected from a east coast artist to the ignorant, so if some one was to hear "down south lyricist" their quick to judge so i can see where he's coming from..

I don't know if I'm buying that. There were MANY successful southern rappers before him. No one is given anything in hip hop. You have to make them respect you. Speaking of respect, I just lost a little for dude. This isn't any different from being white or female trying to rap. You may get booed just for stepping on the stage but if you spit that $+*# people will feel you.

At least he being for real tho and honest ...I think that move benefitted him and us as fans as well

If it was anybody else I wud have kinda looked side ways but he on a different steez...and he said embarrassed wasn't the right word anyway...it wasn't even "ashamed" Op

get that " THATS WACK" talk outta here, hes not saying hes embarrassed cause of where hes from, just that the rappers that come from the south are wack and he didnt want his name to be associated with theirs , there are gems but the majority are stones.

Originally Posted by MoneyMike703

get that " THATS WACK" talk outta here, hes not saying hes embarrassed cause of where hes from, just that the rappers that come from the south are wack and he didnt want his name to be associated with theirs , there are gems but the majority are stones.

that %%$* is WACK... IM FROM WACK *%# CLEVELAND... i say that %%$* in damn near every song... i dont give a #%@%... that %%$* is corny... he still sound like a east coast %@@$! anyway... how the #%@% u gone b ashamed of yo region? that is ******ed... u sposed to rep and change how they think of yall...

But it wasn't like his brand of music was gonna be excepted in the south...

The knife cuts both ways...

For the brand of music he makes, that's more of a business decision then him being ashamed of where he's from...

But I STILL don't believe he's from N.O. so I don't really know what's goin on...

I'm saying tho why is it wack?

when if he wud have got signed his story wud be no different than another run of the mill rapper who got dropped cuz he wasn't following what the label wanted him to create or was just viewed as trash or a victim of the industry climate changing

Agreed its wack but understandable...He produces music with east coast sound so the prejudice I'm sure was there regardless.

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

that %%$* is WACK... IM FROM WACK *%# CLEVELAND... i say that %%$* in damn near every song... i dont give a #%@%... that %%$* is corny... he still sound like a east coast %@@$! anyway... how the #%@% u gone b ashamed of yo region? that is ******ed... u sposed to rep and change how they think of yall...
i get what ya saying man, but  like harlem On The said, its more of a business decision than anything, i mean he does still  talk about new orleans in his music if you listen

WHO CARES?! DUDE DROPS 3 SONGS A YEAR AND THINKS HES GOT ENOUGH CHIPS TO START DOING 1.5HR LONG INTERVIEWS...WHO IS THIS KID? AT LEAST OTHER ARTISTS WITH HYPE HAVE A CATALOG TO MATCH....

I think dudes music, of it thats out, is dope...no hate there...but who cares man...This guy is playing himself if you ask me...

i get what ya saying man, but  like harlem On The said, its more of a business decision than anything, i mean he does still  talk about new orleans in his music if you listen
its not like he's goin mainstream... i dont really get how it helped him out...

its not like he's goin mainstream... i dont really get how it helped him out...

idk, well just have to wait & see until this dude finally drops 1 album

::

Why do most of the folks who posted before me misinterpret this article as if that is how Jay still feels and views the situation??

Idjyets.

::

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

But it wasn't like his brand of music was gonna be excepted in the south...

The knife cuts both ways...

For the brand of music he makes, that's more of a business decision then him being ashamed of where he's from...
True. In the interview tho, he's saying when he first moved up north, not now. He stated that this was years ago, and his sis checked him. If he was on that tip now, it would be somethin to have an opinion on....if you listen to his music, he's reps that !$%% hard.

But I STILL don't believe he's from N.O. so I don't really know what's goin on...

what the hell is there not to believe about him being from N.O? F' would be the point of just randomly reppin a city?

http://music.vtechphones.com/wp-content/plugins/foxyvideo/player/foxyvideo-0.5.swfhttp://music.vtechphones.com/wp-content/plugins/foxyvideo/player/foxyvideo-0.5.swf
FULL SCREEN
The Sounds of VTech / jay_elec_3rdward_v5b

How his accent switch once homegirl showed up tho...

He sounds like a Brooklyn N to me...

Then halfway through the vid N.O. came out...

Yall REALLY OD'ing...

Jay just saying he felt " too shy" to drop songs and stuff because of his background.. That's all..

sounds like some people are really trying to find something to hate jay electronica on. So many hypocrites on this board, people say "who cares that rick rossifer was a correctional officer, he makes good music", i dont see why it wouldnt apply to this. As far as things being said of who this guy is and giving long interviews, well he is a emcee and he has things to say and i dont see why he isnt allowed to speak for an hour just because he dosnt have enought material out, completely irrelevant in music period. Music isnt about having tons of material or how many records you sell, its only about quality and always is about creating music for the pure fact for the love of making it and expressing your voice through song.

Back
Top Bottom