JB Forum TABOO posts...NEW MEMBER ORIENTATION!

We're always discussing about how we can make this forum better. And as I was contemplating this, I decided that a good idea would be to start a list andget people's opinions....

It seems like everyday we get people posting topics which generate alot of hate. This is usually due to the posts being:

a) Pointless
b) Asked often/repeatedly
c) Uninformed/late

These are topics that are not totally against the Niketalk R.O.C. however, are quite frowned upon because of the lack of creativity and because we've seenthem a MILLION times. Theres nothing new about it. It's the same thing over and over.

So I figured why not come up with a list of post topics which are deemed "taboo" within our Jordan Brand Forum community. I think this can be a veryuseful list to those "newer" members who are excited about unleashing a bunch of topics in which they think has never been posted before...

Here's some that seem to come up often and really hold no value:

"What's your FAVORITE Air Jordan of all time?" (These create only one-word replies, andreally hold no value. Everybody has different favorites...WE KNOW THAT. But why do we need this post to come up every two weeks?? We don't.) These alsoinclude Ranking posts and Specific Jordan posts (i.e. What's your favorite AJ IV? or what color combo is your favorite??). **edit: We've created anofficial post which can be found here: Official "What's your FAVORITE Jordan of all time?

"What's your LEAST FAVORITE Air Jordan of all time?" (Most people will say theXV's...But do we really need a 100 reply topic stating this?). Basically the same as above but showing your unappreciation instead.

"Whats your Holy Grail? (One-word answers...No discussion, unless people are hating on why you'drather pick the Air Jordan XVI as your grail rather than OG Carmines). Niketalk has been around since 1999, and this post comes up more often than not.

"When did you start collecting J's" or "What shoe started it out for you?" or "How manyJ's you got? Sometimes it's interesting to see what or how people got into the shoe game, but these just come up way to often. Thismight be some good ones we can archive and let it grow in the JB Archive section.

"Quality" topics. Yes, we know many of us are frustrated with the lack of quality coming out inrecent Jordans, but as I mentioned before...It's been posted waaaaaaaaaaay to many times. This includes topics on shoes creasing! Here's a tip: If youwear your shoes, properly, the shoes WILL eventually crease. Get over it...THEY'RE SHOES! Unless you have a NEW and exciting idea, please don't postyour blog on why JB's quality sucks...We know it. And if it's about a specific shoe that was just released, you can always use the "official"post. Or better yet, put these posts in the Sneaker Reviews Forum!

"Nike Air vs No Nike Air" (This topic has been brought up so many times, it's not evenfunny...Yes, we would all like "Nike Air" back, but it probably won't happen. Let a dead horse rest in peace). We currently have this discussiongoing on here: What is the big deal about having Nike Air on J's??

Shoe "A" vs. Shoe "B" threads ...(These really hold no value. If we had polls, thismight be a good idea, but posts like these are a waste of bandwidth since they only generate one word answers and NO discussion.

"Which shoes should I ___?" and "what matches what?" type posts: These include peopledebating on what shoes they should buy/sell/trade/wear/etc...These can get pretty annoying. Basically the people who post these topics can't decide forthemselves. I usually lock the thread with a "flip a coin" comment. No matter what, the end decision is up to THAT person! How about this? If youcan't decide what to wear with the shoes you got, you shouldn't be wearing the shoes in the first place. And since we're on the subject, the wholeVICK jersey posting needs to stop! It got tired real quick, and now it's just plain annoying. And honestly, I'll just delete it on site.

"How do you store your Jordans?" Unless you got some high tech way of storing shoe boxes, do wereally need a post with people answering the same response over and over? Also, since this qualifies as a "care/maintenance" post, you can also usethis thread: OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST.

"Appreciation" Every now and then we get posts that are dedicated to an old fan-favorite. Thesetypes of posts should go in the Sneaker Showcase forum becausethey usually include member's personal collections of that particular shoe.

"Official _______ posts" : Please allow the Niketalk staff come up with these. Now it'sbecome a race to see who can come up with them the quickest. If a certain shoe tends to be receiving alot of attention, we're gonna make an official postfor 'em. And yes, most new releases will have a temporary "Official" post to cut down the clutter.

Also, when an Official post exists, please use it. Just because you think your question will go unanswered in the official post, please don't create a newtopic out of selfishness. Be patient, 9 times out of 10 someone will answer it and if they don't it's probably because it's been answered already.

"Jordans up on ____.com" I understand a heads-up is needed sometimes, but please be courteousand use the Website/Store/Outlet Reports post, unless we have an Official post. We have enough advertisements onNiketalk. We don't need them as post-topics as well.

How do I clean Jordans? We've now created an official post for these types of questions. Click here:OFFICIAL SNEAKERCARE/MAINTENANCE POST.

Nickname posts! QUIT with the damn nicknames!!! It's bad enough we got people calling shoes"breds" and "raptors"....Call them by the color name or number. Don't make up something!

Any post discussing FAKES!: Theres just no place for this on Niketalk. The way we look at this issue, isthat ANY talk of FAKE shoes, is still talk about them. It gives small promotion to the garbage out there! If it's a legit check, you know where to put thepost. Other than that, keep it off Niketalk.

How do you wear/lace/show your Jordans? 1) These types of post belong in the Sneaker Showcase forum. 2) Unless you still haven't learned how todress properly, or lace your shoes, why would you want to know how to lace your shoes??

Will _______Sell out? or How much will these go for in the future? You're asking us to predict thefuture for you? Seriously, theres NO way to even tell. If you want the shoe bad enough you're going to make accommodations in order to get them, right?Check the buzz on Niketalk. Is there an official post for 'em? If so, what are people saying? You can get a good feeling about how a shoe will do just bylooking at how much attention it's doing BEFORE the release date.

What/which shoes are/were the most HYPED?
Does it really matter? People will give you different opinions all day long on why the Grape V'sare more hyped than the Olive V's....But bottom line is, it doesn't matter. If you really want a pair of shoes, it shouldn't matter how"hyped" they are.

Are ______ okay to wear? This seems to be the latest trend among "taboo" posts. People asking ifa certain pair of shoes are okay to wear and if cracking/creasing/yellowing can be avoided. Cracking/creasing/yellowing is inevitable. ALL shoes willeventually fall apart. This answer all depends on what kind of condition the shoes are currently. Are they deadstock? How did you store 'em? Are theyalready showing signs? These are questions you must ask yourself. If you are that worried about a particular shoe cracking or crumbling, then maybe youshouldn't be wearing them. Only you are going to find out. You can ask this question and a hundred people might give you the green light to wear them, andthen all of a sudden they start chipping. So for now on, wear your shoes with caution. Older shoes obviously have a higher risk of breaking down. However, thisdoesn't mean they will. I'll still rock some OG AJI's around with no problems. And if you are still uncertain and MUST make this post...Please doso in the Sneaker Reviews Forum. Since you're asking aboutthe durability/performance of a shoe, that's where it would belong/

Anti-Gentry Posts. This post comes up way to often. We've heard it all. Everything from him being theAnti-Christ to him being the sole reason why Jordans suck now a days. It's not a new post. Please don't create a new one.

These are just a few examples which seem to pop up every so often. I know we can't get rid of them forever, because we're always going to have newmembers who think that these might be the most creative topics ever...If anything, maybe the staff will create "Official" posts for these and housethem in our Archives section. So when someone does start a topic of the above mentioned, we can refer them to the archives section and let them post theirreply in there....This way, the forum won't be annoyed with such posts again...

What are some other posts that seem to be "Taboo"??
Niketalkin' since December 15th, 1999!
http://p093.ezboard.com/fniketalkfrm24.showMessage?topicID=7343.topic

I hear what you're saying, but you would nearly be shutting down the forum.

Let people sift through this on their own.
TNA The NEW Face of Professional Wrestling.

TEAM MEAN STREET We wear matching sweater vests with our shoes.

Quote:
I hear what you're saying, but you would nearly be shutting down the forum.

Quote:
Remove those posts and the JB Forum will soon be empty.
ed.

I'm sure some of the "older" heads can remember a time when the JB forum was very informative, and not filled with useless clutter. As Niketalk grew the post quality seemed to get lost. If we can organize things more, maybe we can bring some respect back to the JB community.
Buy my old Jordan T's on eBay! XXL, and XL
HELP REPORT eBay Fake Listings!

"who has an urban account?"/"will footlocker get _________?"
"why no hype on the _________?"
"what would you like to see retroed?"/"what would you want to come out next year?"
this post is worthless without pics.

I think it might be good to have questions that are posted frequently maybe made into one 'official post' I some of the topics can generate some productive discussion, but not when they are posted every week. Just a thought.

flight2
Check out my HEAT on EBAY!!!!

This is niketalk, this aint wikipedia. So why are you taking it so seriously? These threads/topics are like the quality on Jordans, if you don't like it, move to the next.
Los Angeles, haha, that's my block too
Oakland, can't forget Oaktown, that's my block for sure - 2Pac​

A mandatory reading test before you can post.
Every single person on the first page just re-listed the same things you already said in the original topic.

And I would LOVE to see a limit on posts per day.
I know that its not realistic.
But when the same people just keep replying HOT or NOT COPPING all @#%$ day the who board starts to become "dumbed" down.

Coming from a veteran of this board, this is such a good idea.

PLEASE lock these useless posts on sight...
FOR SALE: DS Fire Red LASER AJ IV package- size 12- inbox me!

You have to remember that this is a Message Board, the members enjoy ranking their favorite jordans, and showing different color shoe laces. The board is made up of youngsters as well, just because the older people on here are tired of those posts, we have to remember that this board is to serve everyone
Quote:
I'm sure some of the "older" heads can remember a time when the JB forum was very informative, and not filled with useless clutter. As Niketalk grew the post quality seemed to get lost. If we can organize things more, maybe we can bring some respect back to the JB community.

I remember the Jordan XI forum which wasnt all that helpful and had the same :wink:
wink.gif
TEAM RESeLLOR
TEAM KOBE Member #1

ijapino,

What you're addressing is a problem that can't be solved with the younger kids and beginning collectors here in this forum -- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).

I'm not trying to disrespect every person that posts here.

However, discussions for most of the younger NT members are not of any interest because they don't want to read more than a paragraph of text!

How many times have we seen posts such as, too much to read, didn't read it all, but I feel you, or ...man, you guys type too much! when you see a post of any kind of substance?

The younger members simply don't possess the ability to pay attention long enough to absorb a discussion because they don't want to read.

So, any mention of a more meaningful or substantive Jordan Brand forum is the same request as today's school teacher trying to take on the colossal task of keeping the attention of a classroom of students on a subject that they DON'T REALLY want to learn.

I agree that if you lock or archive EVERY TOPIC you list in your post as TABOO, that the discussions will develop into more meaningful posts, but those will develop from the OLDER, more veteran enthusiasts and collectors. Not the majority of the younger ones.

And, you know what I think that will do? It will be a BORING place for the younger members because the discussions are too deep and too long to read for their short attention spans (their ADD).

A GREAT recent post was the By the numbers, JORDAN's future...let's chime in. topic posted by CEO InSane.

If we can get more SUBSTANTIVE topics and discussions like that post, we'll have an INCREDIBLY respected forum going and a more intelligent level of membership overall.

We would learn A LOT MORE from each other that way and NOT be a bunch of indecisive lemmings simply following or doing what everyone else does or thinks what we should do.

There truly IS a God...
GR for now, but rumor has it Gentry's going to package it with a Toboggan and mitten set and sell it for $750

beautiful post

too many of those ridiculous posts :smh:
smh.gif

You should add "Do you think ______ will sell out on release day?"
"How much do you think ________ will go for on release day?"
"Does ______ crease easily?"

i'll be back with more...... :lol:
laugh.gif
Never Forget #33......NBA REFS= ANTI-NEW YORK KNICKS

There have been a ton of Jordan X vs. Jordan Y threads recently, or "which fire red shoe is better"...comparison posts fall into the same category as what's-your-favorite posts. In religious terms, none of these topics "advance the kingdom" if you know what I mean.
+ L A R K S V I L L E +​
MySpace

sad thing is that alot of people probably didnt read dannmanns' post cuz it was too long. but i read it....if that matters.

and i swear, if i see another "which one will be worth more in the future" or "which one should i buy?" post, i put on my smartass hat.
If I talk to people like they stupid as hell, does that mean God's gonna make my kids be stupid as well?

DannManns
Quote:
What you're addressing is a problem that can't be solved with the younger kids and beginning collectors here in this forum -- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).
Quote:
However, discussions for most of the younger NT members are not of any interest because they don't want to read more than a paragraph of text!
Quote:
So, any mention of a more meaningful or substantive Jordan Brand forum is the same request as today's school teacher trying to take on the colossal task of keeping the attention of a classroom of students on a subject that they DON'T REALLY want to learn.
Quote:
I agree that if you lock or archive EVERY TOPIC you list in your post as TABOO, that the discussions will develop into more meaningful posts, but those will develop from the OLDER, more veteran enthusiasts and collectors. Not the majority of the younger ones.
Quote:
And, you know what I think that will do? It will be a BORING place for the younger members because the discussions are too deep and too long to read for their short attention spans (their ADD).
Niketalkin' since December 15th, 1999!Buy my old Jordan T's on eBay! XXL, and XLHELP REPORT eBay Fake Listings!

Well said, iljapino.

My response was not to sound discouraging to your task -- I agree with you wholeheartedly in your efforts and the idea of your post.

My purpose was to point out what I feel is a fact:
short attention spans from younger members is what contributes to such short response posts, one word response posts and redundant topic posts appearing ad nauseam.

The only thing the younger members want to know is who thinks what is the most desirable, the coolest to their peer group, who was able to get it and who wasn't, what goes with it (what to wear), how to tie the damn things and whether or not someone else thinks it's the best colorway.

That type of superficiality is the core of such superficial (empty/useless), short sentence topics. And, let's not get into the fact that the short attention span contributes to their impatience to post their topic before spell checking.

I would LOVE to see the younger members gain the information and knowledge that was pased down to us more recent members, like myself, and benefit from our experiences and what we've learned from those before us.

If they began to display serious inquiry for REAL information (such as MJ's history, understanding why JB is a BUSINESS and a BRAND, submitting USEFUL pre-release information, etc, etc.), then we would have ourselves not only a true JB forum again, but a well-informed group of young guys following us in the continum of enthusiasts and collectors.

I'm doing what I can to contribute in a respecful way when I see redundant posts or someone getting flamed simply because they didn't know -- because I was in their shoes when I first joined and was flamed for not knowing. But, I agree that too many times we find ourselves reading and responding to the same topics asked or posted in umpteen different ways -- only to have the same answers each time.

how about all of them damn trade posts.

"I TRADED MY XXXXX FOR XXXXXXXXX AND XXXXX! DID I GET A GOOD DEAL?"

and it always results in a few pages of "IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU GOT THEN YES"

btw very good idea ijapino. *sticky*
"Love me or hate me, it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved, for the exact same reasons."

Buy My Size 11 OG Red/White XII's: http://p093.ezboard.com/fniketalkfrm15.showMessage?topicID=50191.topic

This has nothing to do with this topic but, since were all trying to make the jordan forum better.. Why don't we ban :D
happy.gif
Jrose won't mind.

Oh, I think we need a library of jordan shoes and its history, somewhat like air-jordans.com. And like I said last time we need reps :\
ohwell.gif

TEAMlateNIGHT
>WE NEVER SLEEP<
think of crime when I'm in new york state of mind.

Quote:

that's some real talk...all these super young noobs ask questions that nobody wants to answer....and you wonder why so many people get flamed.

Simple. Quality of Good Posts is much better than the Quantity of Bad Posts.

From what I understand...NT was much more informative when there were fewer posts with much more to say.

I wish i was here then.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
Nike/Brand Jordan
You know what Rolls Down Hill Don't You?
Who Will You Call When "They" Make More than You?
The Fake Police ?

How's this idea??...

What if we hold an "Official" post for each of these repetitive topics for let's say one week, and one week only. We'll even STICKY it!..After the week's up, we can move it to the Jordan Brand Archive and let it continue on forever.

Whenever someone creates the topic in the future, we'll just close it and refer them to the Archives where they have the oppurtunity to chime in.

We can combine a few of these posts into one survey-type post...For example:

One post can have people state the following:

Favorite, Least Favorite, Shoe that started it all, When they began collecting, and their Holy Grail....

After the week's up, we can sticky a new post, and repeat the process....Let's say week Two's post will be:

"Nike Air" vs."The Jumpman"...People can now list their rants and ramblings about this whole ordeal....After that, it gets moved and archived. Any future reference will be locked and the person would be shown to the archives...
Buy my old Jordan T's on eBay! XXL, and XL
HELP REPORT eBay Fake Listings!

Not a bad idea, iljapino. Everyone is accommodated that way. I think it's the most democratic suggestion so far.

One caveat, though:
These posters want to read what's on the front page. They want visibility for their thread. They will feel that if it's not on the front page, then their thread is forgotten. Can we prevent the thought of no one goes to the archives to read anything. That's old news/an old topic?

Can we get them to go to the archives to continue their thread there instead of begin a new one just to see their name and thread on the front page?

I like to go past the first page and read posts/threads as far back as 4-5 pages -- even in the Buy/Sell and Sneaker Showcase Forums. I'll respond to them as far back as that if I've not been to the site in a few days. (Can you believe it? I DON'T visit NT every day!)

Can we create that kind of thinking for users to delve deeper into the site past the first page of the Forum?

Back
Top Bottom