Jim Rome vs David Stern - rome beats his wife and the nba lottery was fixed

Originally Posted by BF Hoodrich

Originally Posted by MaxElite

The "beat your wife" comment went over some of you guys' heads.
Im assuming it alludes to him beating his wife.
Wrong. 
It's been stated before, but in the JOURNALISM industry, this is a common response and retort to a loaded question. This is not an attack on Jim Rome or his family or wife, but rather a verbal ploy to highlight the ridiculousness of Jim's question in the first place. 

How is he supposed to answer a question that indirectly accuses the commissioner of fraud? "Yes, I fixed the draft." "No, I didn't fix the draft." Would either answer to the question really be good enough?

Stern's verbal mastery was incredible to hear because he succeeded in deflecting the actual outlandish question, derailing the whole direction of the conversation, and causing maximum mad making. He could have just answered it or avoided the question, but I think he was really trying to make an example out of Rome. Who wants to come at the commish now with that foolishness and receive the ether on their own show?

Rome was so flustered at the end of the interview, audibly upset.

I'm not the biggest Stern fan, but you have to appreciate the artistry. Plus he's gotten to the point where he really does not give a %*$+.

so when these dumb reporters ask lebron a dumb question after he loses in the finals this year, can he respond "are you still beating your wife?"

For those who missed the reference, "Have you stopped beating your wife?" is not Stern claiming that Rome is a wife beater - it's an example of a question that damns you if you answer it yes or no.

If you answer it "yes", then that implies that you WERE beating your wife; if you answer it "no", that implies that you ARE beating your wife.

What Stern is doing is implying that the question "Is the fix in?" is a question that, no matter how he answers it, he's going to look bad.

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

so when these dumb reporters ask lebron a dumb question after he loses in the finals this year, can he respond "are you still beating your wife?"

I would be fine with that. The only difference is Stern doesn't give 2 damns what anyone thinks of him while lebron yearns for public affection. Two different situations altogether. 

SI.com's Zach Lowe wrote about the incident. Link to post here & text below.

David Stern testy over lottery questions
On the surface, it looks bad, and it’s certainly not good: Radio host Jim Rome asked NBA commissioner David Stern on Wednesday whether the league rigged the lottery for the league-owned Hornets. Stern, after calling the question “ridiculous,

I heard the interview live and I completely understood what Stern was doing when he used the "beat your wife" comment. I've heard that multiple times before the interview yesterday. But one of the reasons I think Stern shouldn't have gone there is because that comment is likely to go over the heads of a large percentage of Rome's listeners and beyond. Stern's a very smart guy - I'm quite sure he could have come up with another way to make his point that wouldn't have been perceived by so many as accusatory and inflammatory.

Originally Posted by JPZx

For those who missed the reference, "Have you stopped beating your wife?" is not Stern claiming that Rome is a wife beater - it's an example of a question that damns you if you answer it yes or no.

If you answer it "yes", then that implies that you WERE beating your wife; if you answer it "no", that implies that you ARE beating your wife.

What Stern is doing is implying that the question "Is the fix in?" is a question that, no matter how he answers it, he's going to look bad.
How come Rome didn't say "I never have nor ever will beat my wife", then just continue on with the discussion? It's really not hard to get around.

^^ Because Rome knows it was a loaded question and where the convo was now going. The beat your wife question or remark is age old and a lot of people use it in Stern's situation

Ahhhhh, makes sense. Still seems like he could have shrugged it off better than he tried to. Stern's whole tone was eerily calm the entire time, damn
laugh.gif

Damn, I actually thought Stern had some dirt On Rome - turns out Stern's sucka %%# is smarter than I thought
laugh.gif

Still, +##% Stern though.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Damn, I actually thought Stern had some dirt On Rome - turns out Stern's sucka %%# is smarter than I thought
laugh.gif

Still, +##% Stern though.

it makes you think though.. because something like this in the draft has happened before. if i recall correctly, during the 1985 draft, Knicks won it and got Patrick Ewing. what i read was that the draft envelop was colder than the rest, so they knew wear the Knicks would land. and it wouldnt surprise me if stern did something to rig the draft.. just how he cancelled the Paul trade to the lakers.. he wanted the #1 to go to the Hornets to benefit the team that is owned by the league..

Stern is running the NBA like a dictator.. and the nba game, has become a game for *******.. comparing 1990's to now.. cant even fart or you'll get called for a foul

Back
Top Bottom