Joe Mauer Signs Contract Extension w/ Twins.....($184MM over 8 Years)

They pay that to Johan, they're aren't paying Mauer... The Twins get one contract like this.

Do the Twins have that kind of money?! That's a lot of money for a small market team.
Twins are not a small market team. They are mid-market. They also have a brand new stadium, the richest owners in baseball, and a very loyal fan base.

Simply put they had no choice but to do this. Even though I still had to see it to believe it.

Twins recoup a decent amount of this on the back end though with Mauer with the corporate stuff he does, the merchandise he moves, the people coming to see him, etc. You've all heard it by now...the man is a god in this state. He can and should be a cash-cow for the team. I also agree with those who say "tough to give this cash to a catcher" but the other side of that is that Mauer is a world-class hitter, he'll likely be producing at the plate till he's 40. The team will figure it out.

Good for the Twins to throw this money around, they did what they promised. Should be fun as a Twins follower to continue to watch this dude rake.

Originally Posted by southzeztpdot

MLB needs a salary cap asap.

1433llu.jpg

If you're gonna have a salary cap, there better be a salary floor too.

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

Damn shame. I hate it when players chase the money instead of playing to win championships.

1102_large.jpg

minnesota-twins-1991.jpg

So what were you saying again?

Ya know, a while back we were all told Mark Prior was a once in a lifetime guy, and he said he wouldn't play for the Twins, they had to take Mauer. 

Now I wish Mark woulda just shut up and signed with the Twins.  Then Mauer would be a Cub. 

Figures. 
smh.gif

Well played Mauer, well played. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

If you know Frankie's post, you'd know that it was full of humorous sarcasm.

laugh.gif
Well, I know, but before in the "Mauer is close to signing" post he said "It's too bad that Mauer will go a decade without winning a championship
ohwell.gif
".

So....23 Million a year huh? Im not going to hate on his shine, or hate on the Twins....but 23 a year? Really?

Originally Posted by dland24

So....23 Million a year huh? Im not going to hate on his shine, or hate on the Twins....but 23 a year? Really?

Hes their Jeter. If jeter gets 21 a year he can get 23.

You can thank the usual organizations for this being the bare minimum cost for Mauer.

But is this "too much"? Who knows really. They don't have a cap as we know. And teams never open their books. Twins also got a silver slugger and batting title year from Mauer in 2006 for $400,000.

They also got an MVP season out of Justin Morneau that same year for $385,000.

They got a Cy Young season from Johan Santana in 2004 for $1.6 million.

Moral? They've more than gotten their moneys worth the last decade.

I wonder if the A-Rod contract is still worse?
laugh.gif

Nah seriously, good for the Twins. I would have loved Mauer with the Yankees as every other Yankee fan would, but it's nice to see there is another Jeter out there, in terms of staying with the team you started it all with.

Mauer should go down as the greatest Twin ever.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

pimp.gif
you ready for a great year fellas?
Are we?

capt.8f5961aa0c764f5b9805fa99a5bd0f49.twins_nathan_baseball_flnh103.jpg

I'm skeptical
ohwell.gif

I was hoping we would have traded for Bell or Frasor by now. I don't like the idea of going in-house and just hoping that someone can shore up the position. Just too much of a question mark in that. In a year where we have so much talent on the roster I think believe trading for Heath Bell or someone like him is a must despite having to give up a couple of nice prospects.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by onewearz

how could anyone hate the yanks ?
its remarkably easy actually

but we're " the yankees " , we are baseball, we have jeter. it's confusing to me ...............

tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

A few years from now when the Twins arent very good they'll trade him to the Yankees.

full no trade clause
Playing on a championship contender and getting paid > Playing on a non-contender and getting paid.

You dont think he'll waive it a few years from now if the Twins arent as good as he expected?

Back
Top Bottom