Joe's Crab Shack Rolls Out No Tipping Policy

Not me. Its common courtesy and respect to somebody for taking care of you. If they take care of you take care of them.

If they **** up your night, **** up there night financially..

I guarantee the non tippers are broke boys.. No doubt about it.

If i don't want to tip i will cook my own food or go somewhere that doesn't ask for tips. I dont think this is a bad thing by Joe's but i don't want it to become the norm

That's the thing...few resturants explicitly ask you to tip. Its become a social norm in America, and the resturant industry used that to lobby and fight minimum wages for their staff (many resturants get away with paying their servers like $3.25/hr because of this exception.) Most resturants that have to explicitly ask for tips are paying their employees garage wages, and you probably shouldn't be eating there in the first place.

I'd prefer that everyone get a fair wage independent of whether or not their patrons tip. Its a setup from the get go. I'd rather not have some bimbo trying to flirt with me for the tip money, just give me my food fam.

When I was a server, some of the worst tippers were the demographics with the most money (mainly middle age and old white ladies.) Wealthy people tend to be the most frugal. This is stupid logic.

Last edited:
My wife ia apart of Ignite Restaurant group at the corporate level. She say they are doing this at about 20 restaurants around the country.

Food, specifically the crab legs are pretty good. I dont know of many other chain or local restaurants that specialize in crab legs. I would def give them a shot if you are a fan of crab legs and dont want to make them yourself. Outside of that I wouldn't necessary recommend Joes for any other seafood.

yeah yeah that isnt stupid logic.

Im saying the people here on niketalk that say there against tipping.

Are simply classless and broke..

Let's roll this out everywhere. #broke

Last edited:
yeah yeah that isnt stupid logic.

Im saying the people here on niketalk that say there against tipping.

Are simply classless and broke..

And I'm telling you, having been a server myself, that you're just plain wrong. I've had entire groups of old ladies leave $0 on a $100+ bill and drive off in brand new benzes, lexuses, etc after receiving EXCELLENT service.

I know the cognitive dissonance you're experiencing makes you want to call nontippers classless and broke, but a lot of people with money refuse to tip off of principle. Refusing to tip doesn't mean you're broke. Classless in your opinion maybe, but certainly not both.

For the record, I usually tip. But lets not sink so low as to call people who don't classless and broke. You have to realize that tipping is really a "western" concept. If you try to tip somewhere like France or Italy, they will take it as a form of disrespect. I don't know if you can paint an entire country of people as classless and broke if they don't conform to your social norms.

Last edited:
Thats different tho 4 alot of reasons.

I'm just wondering if some don't tip anybody. Like do you guys also not tip bartenders, cab drivers, etc.? I didn't even know people give cab drivers tips until a few years ago.

Different scales man, u tip for great service, not because it's the norm. Why would I tip somebody 15%+ for serving me cold food and never making sure my cup was refilled, etc? Why would I tip a barber for messin my son's hairline up? U tip for good service not just because. Restaurants want you to tip just because they don't want to pay a higher wage. The server minimum wages hasn't changed since 1991 I believe, however, cost has gone up, prices have gon up and suggested tip amounts have gone up.

If i don't want to tip i will cook my own food or go somewhere that doesn't ask for tips. I dont think this is a bad thing by Joe's but i don't want it to become the norm

That's the thing...few resturants explicitly ask you to tip. Its become a social norm in America, and the resturant industry used that to lobby and fight minimum wages for their staff (many resturants get away with paying their servers like $3.25/hr because of this exception.) Most resturants that have to explicitly ask for tips are paying their employees garage wages, and you probably shouldn't be eating there in the first place.

I'd prefer that everyone get a fair wage independent of whether or not their patrons tip. Its a setup from the get go. I'd rather not have some bimbo trying to flirt with me for the tip money, just give me my food fam.

When I was a server, some of the worst tippers were the demographics with the most money (mainly middle age and old white ladies.) Wealthy people tend to be the most frugal. This is stupid logic.

But i am not ignorant to this. I know i don't have to tip if i don't want to and i know if i go to a service restaurant i am providing the waiter with their wages more or less. I have no issue with that at all I know waiting tables alone my mom could make 80k a year. There are very little other opportunities like that out there.

The argument with not tipping :lol:
The times I have seen people leave nothing after having great service is too many to count.

People busting their *** and you have that or nawtyhare who thinks you have to roll the red carpet out for him in order to get a lousy 10 percent tip. Lol

I always leave 20% minimum and 30 for great service. People are working hard outchea. Tip man!

Hourly wage is ok but they can make more with tips. And they dont have to claim all the tips they get on their taxes so avoid paying some tax. Now everything is on the books. Sucks for them.

And btw the food at Joes Crab Shack is horrible. But the drinks are on point. :smokin

Joe's is decent, steamed seafood tastes like steamed seafood wherever the **** you go. Cut that snob **** out, it's silly in that regard.

My job did a going away lunch there last week and many of the folks were astonished at not having to tip.

I didn't eat if it matters, but I thanked them for their water :nerd:

But i am not ignorant to this. I know i don't have to tip if i don't want to and i know if i go to a service restaurant i am providing the waiter with their wages more or less. I have no issue with that at all I know waiting tables alone my mom could make 80k a year. There are very little other opportunities like that out there.

80k?! You know those tips are supposed to be recorded as taxable income, right? :lol:

*paging IRS*

What are the odds service goes down hill now since the servers don't have to put on a fake facade to get a few extra bucks on a tip?

american culture, where servers are only nice to other human beings for the money 
laugh.gif

And I'm telling you, having been a server myself, that you're just plain wrong. I've had entire groups of old ladies leave $0 on a $100+ bill and drive off in brand new benzes, lexuses, etc after receiving EXCELLENT service.

I know the cognitive dissonance you're experiencing makes you want to call nontippers classless and broke, but a lot of people with money refuse to tip off of principle. Refusing to tip doesn't mean you're broke. Classless in your opinion maybe, but certainly not both.

For the record, I usually tip. But lets not sink so low as to call people who don't classless and broke. You have to realize that tipping is really a "western" concept. If you try to tip somewhere like France or Italy, they will take it as a form of disrespect. I don't know if you can paint an entire country of people as classless and broke if they don't conform to your social norms.
Hallejujah! 

Back
Top Bottom