Jordan 2011 Sneaker Review (Mini Melo M7 review added as well)

Hey all! Just got my all-stars today and it was just in time for my Tuesday night league game. I figured what better time to review a shoe that actually has some anticipation attached to it from JB. I haven't done a review in over a year so bear with me and I hope I provide all of you with a little insight on what to expect.

Player Profile: I'm in my late twenties and played college basketball. Thanks to the winter time in the Chi I spend a lot of time on the court from Nov-March getting into "ball" mode. I play about 3-4 times a week. Two leagues and the rest in open gym settings. I'm a 6'1 guard/forward type. Depending on the team I'll be the one bringing the ball up or I can post up smaller guards. I'm a slasher and love to drive to the basket. Now to the review...

First impressions out of the box were that the shoe lives up to the hype. The anticipation that was missing from the 2010 and 2009 are greatly warranted here. The xi comparisons actually decrease once you see the shoe in person, mostly because of the "stressed" leather look. The first time you slide these on your feet you will find quite a bit of room. I have a 13 and a 12 that I was able to get my hands on and while the 12 had the lock down feel that 13 was the one that had the proper sizing for me. I'm usually the type of shoe size that goes 13, maybe 12.5 as it is rare that the 12's every fit me comfortably. If you are the type that wears double socks or ankle braces you will appreciate the extra room, more so for the double sock people as the ankle area can be a bit narrow.

I had an initial issue with the inner part of the bed that holds the insole sticking up and brushing the inner arch of my foot. I usually wear a single sock, but busted out the thick Nike Elite socks and once I started playing it was hardly noticeable. I am also thankful that the 2011 does not have the fit of the 2010. I liked the 2010, but found the are below the toe box and foot pads a little too narrow. It really needed breaking in with the 2010, but the 2011 were ready to go out of the box.

Quick or Explosive?

Those who have seen my posts in the insole or shoe threads would know what a fan I am of zoom air. However after reading that Wade had liked the Air sole instead I figured I would give the shoes first test run in the air. While trying both soles out in my first wear (they shoes come with one quick and one explosive in each shoe) I found the air max to be quite plush and full feeling. The zoom actually felt a little thin and didn't have that push back that I love in zoom. In fact the zoom felt a tad tougher than the zoom setup you find in the 2010. I know the 2010 had double stacked heel zoom, I'm speaking about the forefoot area mostly. I'm going to be playing a little with some friends tomorrow morning and plan on going in with the zoom units and posting my comparisons later in the day.

Traction:

Traction is probably my first or second most important feature on a shoe. While in college I suffered a severe groin pull which was mostly thanks to going full speed in some Jordan xvi's that had no traction whatsoever. I also hate the feeling of trying to beat someone off the dribble and feeling like you were in quicksand. Something I have loved about the last three Kobe's and to a lesser extent, the lebron line is their excellent traction. I know many people raved about the 2010 and it's traction, but these seemed to be between the 2010 and the super glue grip of the kobe iv/v. In fact; my first play of the game I grabbed the tip out wide from the sideline and took some dribbles around a defender under the hoop and as I turned around on the other side to attempt my shot it felt as those my foot had rotated completely inside the shoe. The shoe seemed glued to the court and my plush socks just let my foot kind of slide around in an odd way that I never remembered having happened.

After that I settle in with the shoe and the traction was decent, then again the floor I played on tonight was not in the best shape thanks to Chicago winters and people who don't know how to bring an extra pair of shoes to play in.

The Jump Factor

From some youtube videos I have posted, I can prove to you that this guy still has hops. The problem is that with age most machines need fine tuning and expensive parts to help them along, I am no different. I'm not going to be in any dunk contests anymore and while I can still dunk I am right at the edge of not being able to do it easily. This is why I notice when a shoe gives me that extra edge.

I know your thinking I"m crazy, but it's true. Shoes like the Lebron Soldier III and Lebron VII PS offer the mid cut, excellent traction and cushioning that gives you that extra confidence you need to give it your all. Unfortunately the floor, or the 2011's traction didn't offer me that same confidence. Tomorrow when I play in a cleaner gym, I'll be able to give you a guys an update on that.

^
Me in my Lebron VII PS.

Couple action live pics of my blue's. Also in the official Jordan Thread. I'll post a further review later of the zoom soles and get more pictures in natural light for all to see. I will actually be playing in the same gym as that video so I'll be able to do a better job comparing it to other shoes I've tried this year like the Kobe VI, Melo M7, KDIII and so on. Hope you guys enjoyed the read!

UPDATE 3.28.2011

Thanks for all the comments and additions guys. This will be the first Jordan I buy multiple pairs of since the xiv. All I can say is wow. I've been playing in leagues and open gyms for a while now since they came out and here are some updates.

Wore the explosives casually. Super comfortable. I was sick this past weekend but had to play Sunday cuz my team is tied for first. I played in the explosives since I figured we would have an easy game and I fell in love. I will try and run a few games in these once I'm healthy but now that they are broken in they are so nice. They no longer feel like I'm standing on a liquid ball where my foot would rotate off the bubble, now my foot sinks in and they feel so nice.

Still love the quicks though.

Wish I could get a little more lockdown in the forefoot are but the fit on these are awesome. I'm usually between 12 and 13 and will get a 12 in my next pair to see if this changes anything.

Gotta get another colorway, I look too silly rocking the blues casually.

The outsole is getting mighty dusty which doesn't bother me, but can't wait to try a colorway with a solid outsole. Not just for the coloring issue, but to see how traction improves. I remember the Kobe line giving me amazing traction when you went with a colorway that had a solid outsole versus the icy.

Hey all! Just got my all-stars today and it was just in time for my Tuesday night league game. I figured what better time to review a shoe that actually has some anticipation attached to it from JB. I haven't done a review in over a year so bear with me and I hope I provide all of you with a little insight on what to expect.

Player Profile: I'm in my late twenties and played college basketball. Thanks to the winter time in the Chi I spend a lot of time on the court from Nov-March getting into "ball" mode. I play about 3-4 times a week. Two leagues and the rest in open gym settings. I'm a 6'1 guard/forward type. Depending on the team I'll be the one bringing the ball up or I can post up smaller guards. I'm a slasher and love to drive to the basket. Now to the review...

First impressions out of the box were that the shoe lives up to the hype. The anticipation that was missing from the 2010 and 2009 are greatly warranted here. The xi comparisons actually decrease once you see the shoe in person, mostly because of the "stressed" leather look. The first time you slide these on your feet you will find quite a bit of room. I have a 13 and a 12 that I was able to get my hands on and while the 12 had the lock down feel that 13 was the one that had the proper sizing for me. I'm usually the type of shoe size that goes 13, maybe 12.5 as it is rare that the 12's every fit me comfortably. If you are the type that wears double socks or ankle braces you will appreciate the extra room, more so for the double sock people as the ankle area can be a bit narrow.

I had an initial issue with the inner part of the bed that holds the insole sticking up and brushing the inner arch of my foot. I usually wear a single sock, but busted out the thick Nike Elite socks and once I started playing it was hardly noticeable. I am also thankful that the 2011 does not have the fit of the 2010. I liked the 2010, but found the are below the toe box and foot pads a little too narrow. It really needed breaking in with the 2010, but the 2011 were ready to go out of the box.

Quick or Explosive?

Those who have seen my posts in the insole or shoe threads would know what a fan I am of zoom air. However after reading that Wade had liked the Air sole instead I figured I would give the shoes first test run in the air. While trying both soles out in my first wear (they shoes come with one quick and one explosive in each shoe) I found the air max to be quite plush and full feeling. The zoom actually felt a little thin and didn't have that push back that I love in zoom. In fact the zoom felt a tad tougher than the zoom setup you find in the 2010. I know the 2010 had double stacked heel zoom, I'm speaking about the forefoot area mostly. I'm going to be playing a little with some friends tomorrow morning and plan on going in with the zoom units and posting my comparisons later in the day.

Traction:

Traction is probably my first or second most important feature on a shoe. While in college I suffered a severe groin pull which was mostly thanks to going full speed in some Jordan xvi's that had no traction whatsoever. I also hate the feeling of trying to beat someone off the dribble and feeling like you were in quicksand. Something I have loved about the last three Kobe's and to a lesser extent, the lebron line is their excellent traction. I know many people raved about the 2010 and it's traction, but these seemed to be between the 2010 and the super glue grip of the kobe iv/v. In fact; my first play of the game I grabbed the tip out wide from the sideline and took some dribbles around a defender under the hoop and as I turned around on the other side to attempt my shot it felt as those my foot had rotated completely inside the shoe. The shoe seemed glued to the court and my plush socks just let my foot kind of slide around in an odd way that I never remembered having happened.

After that I settle in with the shoe and the traction was decent, then again the floor I played on tonight was not in the best shape thanks to Chicago winters and people who don't know how to bring an extra pair of shoes to play in.

The Jump Factor

From some youtube videos I have posted, I can prove to you that this guy still has hops. The problem is that with age most machines need fine tuning and expensive parts to help them along, I am no different. I'm not going to be in any dunk contests anymore and while I can still dunk I am right at the edge of not being able to do it easily. This is why I notice when a shoe gives me that extra edge.

I know your thinking I"m crazy, but it's true. Shoes like the Lebron Soldier III and Lebron VII PS offer the mid cut, excellent traction and cushioning that gives you that extra confidence you need to give it your all. Unfortunately the floor, or the 2011's traction didn't offer me that same confidence. Tomorrow when I play in a cleaner gym, I'll be able to give you a guys an update on that.

^
Me in my Lebron VII PS.

Couple action live pics of my blue's. Also in the official Jordan Thread. I'll post a further review later of the zoom soles and get more pictures in natural light for all to see. I will actually be playing in the same gym as that video so I'll be able to do a better job comparing it to other shoes I've tried this year like the Kobe VI, Melo M7, KDIII and so on. Hope you guys enjoyed the read!

UPDATE 3.28.2011

Thanks for all the comments and additions guys. This will be the first Jordan I buy multiple pairs of since the xiv. All I can say is wow. I've been playing in leagues and open gyms for a while now since they came out and here are some updates.

Wore the explosives casually. Super comfortable. I was sick this past weekend but had to play Sunday cuz my team is tied for first. I played in the explosives since I figured we would have an easy game and I fell in love. I will try and run a few games in these once I'm healthy but now that they are broken in they are so nice. They no longer feel like I'm standing on a liquid ball where my foot would rotate off the bubble, now my foot sinks in and they feel so nice.

Still love the quicks though.

Wish I could get a little more lockdown in the forefoot are but the fit on these are awesome. I'm usually between 12 and 13 and will get a 12 in my next pair to see if this changes anything.

Gotta get another colorway, I look too silly rocking the blues casually.

The outsole is getting mighty dusty which doesn't bother me, but can't wait to try a colorway with a solid outsole. Not just for the coloring issue, but to see how traction improves. I remember the Kobe line giving me amazing traction when you went with a colorway that had a solid outsole versus the icy.

Nice review. I'm excited to get my pair tomorrow and try them out.

The Lebron VII PS is one of my favorite shoes. How do they compare to the 2011s?

Nice review. I'm excited to get my pair tomorrow and try them out.

The Lebron VII PS is one of my favorite shoes. How do they compare to the 2011s?

Hey guys, went out in the zoom insoles today and wow. My worries from earlier were gone. These things were performance monsters today. The zoom is not too plush where you feel the give and feedback all the time, but not so thin (ala KD II,III) that when you try to take a jump off one foot you feel like you banged the pad of your foot directly against the hardwood.

@si3n4

These are similar to the PS in that they have a roomy feel in terms of height. There is a lot of room from the sole to the laces and the upper is very thin. I felt size wise it ran exactly the same. The thing I liked is that the 2011 has the inner bootie that feels a little better and breathes better than the PS.

@f3DJam

I wore thinner socks and with the zoom insoles they felt more stable. They aren't going to be the most stable shoe, but depending on your foot you might be able to get a snug fit.

For the M7 I was gonna do a separate review, but I'll give you mine here.

First Impression: It seems JB is making an effort at quality. In person (I had the jades) there is a lot of minor details that you don't see in pictures. The materials seem quality. I was pumped about this shoe after seeing that it has zoom in the forefoot and air in the heel. I was ready for a performance beast.

The height of the ride reminded me of the xii's. The M7 felt like old jordans used to. Not super high off the ground, but slightly elevated. I'm not a huge fan of the low to the ground feel all the time.

Fit: The shoe fits snug. Very snug. It will lock your foot down and for me it was the shoes downfall and biggest benefit. The shoes comes out of the box extremely stiff. It definitely needs to be broken in. It hugs your heel extremely hard. You have to wear crew socks with them. Anything lower will have the back part digging at your heel. Not as bad as the 2009,2010, KDII, but it was an issue for me. After that I liked the shoe a lot.

Once broken in the cushioning and the rest of the shoe is great. Although I would recommend it more for big men. I loved it in the post. Every step felt like it was with a purpose and if your a big man who has good footwork these make you feel like Michael Jackson in Billie Jean. Like every part of the floor lights up when you put down a step. You feel powerful and ready to move the next one. You are definitely aware where your feet are in this shoe.

For guards this may be too stiff and stable as many guards and slasher like a little give or a lower cut.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the compliments guys!

Hey guys, went out in the zoom insoles today and wow. My worries from earlier were gone. These things were performance monsters today. The zoom is not too plush where you feel the give and feedback all the time, but not so thin (ala KD II,III) that when you try to take a jump off one foot you feel like you banged the pad of your foot directly against the hardwood.

@si3n4

These are similar to the PS in that they have a roomy feel in terms of height. There is a lot of room from the sole to the laces and the upper is very thin. I felt size wise it ran exactly the same. The thing I liked is that the 2011 has the inner bootie that feels a little better and breathes better than the PS.

@f3DJam

I wore thinner socks and with the zoom insoles they felt more stable. They aren't going to be the most stable shoe, but depending on your foot you might be able to get a snug fit.

For the M7 I was gonna do a separate review, but I'll give you mine here.

First Impression: It seems JB is making an effort at quality. In person (I had the jades) there is a lot of minor details that you don't see in pictures. The materials seem quality. I was pumped about this shoe after seeing that it has zoom in the forefoot and air in the heel. I was ready for a performance beast.

The height of the ride reminded me of the xii's. The M7 felt like old jordans used to. Not super high off the ground, but slightly elevated. I'm not a huge fan of the low to the ground feel all the time.

Fit: The shoe fits snug. Very snug. It will lock your foot down and for me it was the shoes downfall and biggest benefit. The shoes comes out of the box extremely stiff. It definitely needs to be broken in. It hugs your heel extremely hard. You have to wear crew socks with them. Anything lower will have the back part digging at your heel. Not as bad as the 2009,2010, KDII, but it was an issue for me. After that I liked the shoe a lot.

Once broken in the cushioning and the rest of the shoe is great. Although I would recommend it more for big men. I loved it in the post. Every step felt like it was with a purpose and if your a big man who has good footwork these make you feel like Michael Jackson in Billie Jean. Like every part of the floor lights up when you put down a step. You feel powerful and ready to move the next one. You are definitely aware where your feet are in this shoe.

For guards this may be too stiff and stable as many guards and slasher like a little give or a lower cut.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the compliments guys!

My issue in the little bit of time I have spent with the swappable insole was they both felt mushy equally. Mind you this is out of the box putzing around in the store and making sure my heel was cushioned on strike( i have broken my foot and ankle on my left leg so cushioning is pretty important. did this/had this happend to you when you first started with them. I really like this model and want to give it a whirl but not if the zoom and max are gonna feel the same way.

My issue in the little bit of time I have spent with the swappable insole was they both felt mushy equally. Mind you this is out of the box putzing around in the store and making sure my heel was cushioned on strike( i have broken my foot and ankle on my left leg so cushioning is pretty important. did this/had this happend to you when you first started with them. I really like this model and want to give it a whirl but not if the zoom and max are gonna feel the same way.

Originally Posted by DrewDioxin

I know what you mean. As a rabid zoom enthusiast I was excited to see what the difference would be, considering the use of the shank plate in the insole. I actually liked the air a lot. As far as I know I do not think the heel zoom in this insole is double stacked as it was in the 2010. Then again I think the more the Air sole broke in, the more cushioning you would feel. That is one reason I have disliked the past two lebrons because of the break-in time needed for the air max to feel adequate.

I actually went a different route and got a third insole. Not it's not orange (even though a Lunar sole would be cool or a mixed, zoom/air unit). A year ago I got some foamposite lites, due to their large zoom insole and guess what? They fit perfectly into the 2011. There is even a small arch support that the 2011 insole doesn't have. Thus far I have had great success in my games with this insole in them. However, between the two stock ones I felt better performance and feedback from the zoom insole even though it was minimal.

I can sympathize with someone who seeks shoe performance due to past injuries, even if mine weren't as devastating as yours. Unfortunately I think you might have to look elsewhere to find that cushioning that your seeking.

53636f0d1b911c94690e0ce1cf5ba1ebde186ddc.jpg

1b2265b1161086de0f9c62ac376b7f8a71f0d5b2.jpg

I know what you mean. As a rabid zoom enthusiast I was excited to see what the difference would be, considering the use of the shank plate in the insole. I actually liked the air a lot. As far as I know I do not think the heel zoom in this insole is double stacked as it was in the 2010. Then again I think the more the Air sole broke in, the more cushioning you would feel. That is one reason I have disliked the past two lebrons because of the break-in time needed for the air max to feel adequate.

I actually went a different route and got a third insole. Not it's not orange (even though a Lunar sole would be cool or a mixed, zoom/air unit). A year ago I got some foamposite lites, due to their large zoom insole and guess what? They fit perfectly into the 2011. There is even a small arch support that the 2011 insole doesn't have. Thus far I have had great success in my games with this insole in them. However, between the two stock ones I felt better performance and feedback from the zoom insole even though it was minimal.

I can sympathize with someone who seeks shoe performance due to past injuries, even if mine weren't as devastating as yours. Unfortunately I think you might have to look elsewhere to find that cushioning that your seeking.

53636f0d1b911c94690e0ce1cf5ba1ebde186ddc.jpg

1b2265b1161086de0f9c62ac376b7f8a71f0d5b2.jpg

Thanks pro, I am gonna pick up the W/B ones tomorrow with my buddies disco ( they just seema bit less flashy) and will definately report back in how I do. Like i said I am hoping the zoom stays a bit more stiff and. It is hard to imagine how both insoles felt exactly the same but maybe it is that top orthotic that is soft and the cushioning wasn't what I felt. Guess we will see.

Thanks pro, I am gonna pick up the W/B ones tomorrow with my buddies disco ( they just seema bit less flashy) and will definately report back in how I do. Like i said I am hoping the zoom stays a bit more stiff and. It is hard to imagine how both insoles felt exactly the same but maybe it is that top orthotic that is soft and the cushioning wasn't what I felt. Guess we will see.

Anytime man. Please update me on what you find. I put the zoom/quicks in the other day and had a great day in them. The zoom is definitely the firmer of the two. I'm probably going to roll with the quicks for my next few playoff games.

Anytime man. Please update me on what you find. I put the zoom/quicks in the other day and had a great day in them. The zoom is definitely the firmer of the two. I'm probably going to roll with the quicks for my next few playoff games.

^

It should.

I pulled the ones from my LBIV's a few months back, but didn't want to use them since my only pair is the b-day ones.

I bought the foam lites and the insoles look exactly the same, I'd assume the fit should be the same.

^

It should.

I pulled the ones from my LBIV's a few months back, but didn't want to use them since my only pair is the b-day ones.

I bought the foam lites and the insoles look exactly the same, I'd assume the fit should be the same.

ive had the jordans for nearly a week, and ive played 4 basketball games , and about 5 hours worth of pickup ball at the gym (total of about 10+ hours in these shoes) .. but when you first put on the shoes, and walk around, there's a very small difference between them... but once you break-in the insoles, they start to feel VERY VERY different from each other...

the zooms are much more stiff compaired to the air soles... the air soles feel like your walking on pillows.. soo soft!! but the zoom feel very responsive.. reminds me of the Jordan 17.5 zoom unit... the zoom is not mushy, its very springy... they are two very VERY different rides once you break them in and play in them...

ive had the jordans for nearly a week, and ive played 4 basketball games , and about 5 hours worth of pickup ball at the gym (total of about 10+ hours in these shoes) .. but when you first put on the shoes, and walk around, there's a very small difference between them... but once you break-in the insoles, they start to feel VERY VERY different from each other...

the zooms are much more stiff compaired to the air soles... the air soles feel like your walking on pillows.. soo soft!! but the zoom feel very responsive.. reminds me of the Jordan 17.5 zoom unit... the zoom is not mushy, its very springy... they are two very VERY different rides once you break them in and play in them...

thanks for the reply man. very insightful. and you got a hard colorway too
im gonna look into these

Back
Top Bottom