Air Jordan 38

Thank you! Always love your posts brother you’re a saint and a scholar. Did the 2010 and XX8 have good traction?
Both are good.
Haven't worn any of the two in a good while on court. They've been out of my rotation for some time.
I might give 'em a go before the end of the week while we're at it 👍

The worst ones are the 31 and it's a no contest. Then the 9 and 10.

It’s hard to believe the same guy produced arguably the best traction’d Jordan (XVIII) and arguably the worst (31). Wear testing for the ‘game shoe’ has gotten abysmal.
I don’t dislike the XVIII traction but thinks there is better. Interesting SR-71 said IX or X are worst. The durability wasn’t great but everything else was fine to me. What do you think of the traction on XV and XXIII?

XV is below average, as are IX and X but only indoors. The IX has such a good fit it actually helps mitigate the poor tread. You will hate to hear it but the XI can be bad indoors. XXXI is very bad, agreed, which is a shame because the comfort is pretty maximum. XVI is also really bad, I couldn't plant and square up or fade properly at all in those indoors. A lot of clear soles are bad on dusty indoor courts but fine elsewhere. So not only does model matter but colorway/material does as well.

Best traction in my opinion was the XVII. Wow that mofo was basically a perfect shoe and it needs retroed more often badly. In my opinion it's far and away the best non-Tinker shoe when talking both overall performance and style, although some recent ones are very close. Perfect lockdown, support, agility, stability, and traction.

Despite just dots for traction I've actually found the VI, VII, and VIII traction to be more than adequate, which honestly did surprise me. So I have no fear of the dots.

I don’t dislike the XVIII traction but thinks there is better. Interesting SR-71 said IX or X are worst. The durability wasn’t great but everything else was fine to me. What do you think of the traction on XV and XXIII?
don't get me wrong, everything works to a certain extent on super clean pristine wooden courts, even the IX and X and XXX1.
But unless you play D1 ball or in the NBA, you might encounter so many different scenarios.

There are some models like the IX that are ok for a minute or two that then get affected by dust and fall off the cliff very rapidly, so you have to wipe off the dust at every stop and if the play doesn't stop for long enough, you start to feel like you're like on ice skates. The X are ok on the longitudinal front, but awful for lateral movement.

If you play on indoors mondo courts, any J will work wonders.

If you play on mildly dusty wooden courts, you'll notice which ones are worse than others to a certain extent but wiping will even out things. Some pick up dirt much faster but it has nothing to do with the initial traction. You will just find yourself wiping your shoes more often.

If you play on very dusty courts or terrazzo, that's when you notice immediately which ones are very bad and which one are very good, everything becomes obvious.

XI have been amongst the best for me on dusty courts.

OG XIII were a nightmare going for power layups, hard cuts and 2 footed dunks when not broken in, like people in exactly like in old movies slipping on banana peels or as if someone suddenly pulled the rug under you! Didn't have the same issue with any of the retros though.

XV are way underrated basketball shoes since most don't like their looks, so they get no love. They're one of the best on court performers overall in my experience.

XVI ditto what afterburner just said.

XX3 have good traction. They're super clunky when you walk, but they play great and the carbon plate is very well implemented and you can really feel the difference when you jump. Used to love them. One major downside: they're the ones that get outsole separation the fastest of all, after about 8 years of age, NOT after 8 years playing, 8 years even DS or just a few wears. The glue they used was a total joke!

Back to the 38...I don't see why they will be bad as far as traction is concerned unless they go and try out something awkward.

I think JB has learned since the XXX1 not to weartest only in perfect environnement when designing shoes I guess. The last 6 have pretty much nailed it as far as traction is concerned.

XXX2 squeek like crazy but the grip is above average, they just pick up dust a bit fast
XXX3 best grip ever for an Air Jordan when noting else gets the job done, wear the XXX3!
XXX4 excellent
XXXV just slightly under the 34
XXXVI pick up dirt faster than 34 and 35 and can get slippery at times if you don't wipe, very very good otherwise
XXXVII are less affected by dust than 36

Last edited:
In I guess.

ec3-wwe.gif

There are definitely some major OG heads here because the traction analysis is spot on. The only thing I want to add is for the XVI it is very color dependent. The black/red colorways is exactly as described above and gets progressively slick as the soles age. However, if you are lucky enough to play in the XVI Cherrywoods - this colorway grip significantly better and extremely underrated performance J (without shroud) especially for its time.

Looks like it’s just leno weave on the sides like the 37 low. Can’t tell what material the majority is. Only trait from the OG 8s from that angle is the logo on the tongue.

Attachments

• 2D98568E-D0B4-455F-A786-C1DCB3BB6197.jpeg
    2D98568E-D0B4-455F-A786-C1DCB3BB6197.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 411
Back
Top Bottom