Jordan XIII Playoffs - February 18, 2023

I’d bet money none of y’all are passing on these when they drop because of “toe shape”
I’ll pass on em with the quickness and just get an older retro pair if I can find ds. ‘17 breds subpar, ‘13 breds no 3m, very very content with the ‘04 breds I found new. If these are like the other recent releases I’ll just cop the 2011 retro since those were solid. But I understand folks may not want to go thru all that especially since older shoes sometimes need re-glue etc

Last edited:
I don’t remember the last time since maybe the 2004 black/red pair that the 13 had a shape that most would consider decent. I have 2017 breds, 2017 White/reds, 2020 flints and I had all of the 2013 og colorways when they came out back then, too. Playoffs will be copped and hopefully that’s it for 13s for me. I’ve come to the conclusion that the shape will always be subpar to the hardcore fans but it’s good enough for me.

I'm personally tired of complaining about shape. I get it, I truly do. I remember the OGs and everything, I just come to accept the fact that it's not coming back and constantly complaining about it (as the NT community as a whole) ain't moving the needle for them. I'll just get that much more selective when buying anyway, even though I'm personally near my end.

I’d bet money none of y’all are passing on these when they drop because of “toe shape”
I will, especially if the leather is bad too. I sold my '17 Black/Reds without remorse due to how garbage the toe was in regards to shape and especially leather. Toe was steel toe boot shaped and the leather quality (or lack thereof) made them very stiff in the toebox regardless of how long or often I wore them. Even the '17 Chicago 13s released that same year had better leather, as far as synthetic stuff goes. The toebox is better too lol.

In for a pair of these for sure. The recent 13s get a lot of hate that I truly do not understand. The toe does not look bad at all when on foot. The pairs I wear feel close to what I remember in 98. The toe boxes do not look as bad as people describe. Shape may be off, but not as noticeable imo. As far as the black red pair in 2017, I like the red better on them than I do my 2004 pair. Both are DS. I got my flamespoonman suit zipped up and ready. lol.

In for a pair of these for sure. The recent 13s get a lot of hate that I truly do not understand. The toe does not look bad at all when on foot. The pairs I wear feel close to what I remember in 98. The toe boxes do not look as bad as people describe. Shape may be off, but not as noticeable imo. As far as the black red pair in 2017, I like the red better on them than I do my 2004 pair. Both are DS. I got my flamespoonman suit zipped up and ready. lol.
Ya exactly.. As soon as they get a couple hours of wear and some creases the toe looks fine on foot. It’s not like the toes on the old 3s or something. When I see someone wearing 13s in the wild, they look great and nothing stands out that bothers me at all. Not like the 9s where the mistakes are obvious, or the toe on the older 5s that was way bulbous. I can’t really even think of any serious complaints on the current 13s 🤷‍♂️

^^thats just it though man, the synthetic stiff toe boxes on these retro 13s simply do not crease. With even heavy wear the material more or less “folds” and bows up even more, further accentuating the terrible shape they are known for out the box. I understand that we will likely never be happy on NT with these things and that’s part of the charm around here, but ultimately if you’re gonna skimp it simply cannot be in the toe box IMO. For instance the entire rear quarter of a sneaker can be pleather but I’m fine with that as it’s not a direct impact point with the shoe for me. I pretty much HAVE to be able to get happiness from the Birds Eye/first person view, or I’m not happy with them.

This is why I’m a crabby old fart with a closet full of 1997/98 originals that can’t ever be worn and also while I will never buy 13 retros until they at least put some genuine cow on the toe.

Exhibit A: lol

Attachments

• 7DBAF499-5030-4BAE-8E4A-51FCC87A6DE7.jpeg
    7DBAF499-5030-4BAE-8E4A-51FCC87A6DE7.jpeg
    589.3 KB · Views: 1,509
The material quality problem is definitely a thing.. Shape wise the new ones aren’t a nice straight angle across the top, but on foot they look pretty acceptable to me. Most OG Jordan’s had a better shape, but most of them also creased the whole toe up at a 45 degree angle after wearing :lol:

Back
Top Bottom