JORDANS FATHER KILLED DUE TO GAMBLING DEBTS??

I dont think so, but I do believe that jordan was forced to retire the first time because of his gambling

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Yeah, apparently so.

It's all good, though. I'm still riding that emotional high from watching the Dream Team a couple summers ago. Jordan and Bird and Magic and Scottie and all them on the same team? Sweeeet.

Well, I'm off to go trade some pogs and rock out to Collective Soul.
pogs
laugh.gif
...hey do u have that special edition magic johnsonslammer ska?
roll.gif

I remember reading this on NT a couple of years ago....someone also brought up the possibility of an NBA suspension being masked as his first retirement.

It's kind of believable that if in fact his gambling problem was so out of control, the league would have to take action. However a 2 year ban wouldcertainly tarnish the leagues image so they had him "retire".

I don't know if I believe it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I thought I read one time that Michael sister said she was molested when she was a kid by the father, so has the poster said earlier his death could of beenkarma but who knows.

Yeah, apparently so.

It's all good, though. I'm still riding that emotional high from watching the Dream Team a couple summers ago. Jordan and Bird and Magic and Scottie and all them on the same team? Sweeeet.

Nirvana > Collective Soul.

Heard a reporter was about to crack the case and someone broke into his office and destroyed all his documents/files on his computer....

Anyone care to elaborate on that rumor?

mco85 wrote:
I dont think so, but I do believe that jordan was forced to retire the first time because of his gambling

heard this time and time again. he was probably betting on nba games and they didnt want to pete rose him

Yeah, apparently so.

laugh.gif

Here's an interesting write-up that I found via Google.
Daniel's Story
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-108360.html

In 1996, a Robeson County Jury that convicted Daniel Green of the murder of Michael Jordan's father, Mr. James Jordan just a week earlier, spared the 21 year olds' life and refused to sentence him to death.

On the sentence recommendation sheet the jury stated that they did not believe that Green "murdered James Jordan or intended his death".

They went on to state that they believed he was present and showed reckless disregard for James Jordan's life.

This contradiction in the jury findings is magnified by the fact that there was no evidence presented by either the prosecution or by the defense to support the jury's conclusion. The prosecution's case was that Green shot Jordan in cold blood as he slept beside a North Carolina highway. They presented one witness, the other man charged with Jordan's death, who had signed an illegal plea bargain that practically guaranteed he would serve less time for the murder of James Jordan and other violent crimes that if he had never murdered Jordan and had been sentenced to a fraction of the sentence for his earlier crimes.

The defense's case was supported by five alibi witnesses with no criminal records and no incentive to lie for Green (two of the witnesses had known Green for less than a month), three officers who worked for the state - one who was threatened with and did lost his job for testifying on Green's behalf. Other witnesses and physical evidence proved that Green was not present during the murder of James Jordan.

Members of the jury told Jet Magazine that they chose to spare Green's life because some members of the jury "did not believe that Green killed Jordan."

These circumstances proved that Green's conviction was what is known in legal circles as a "compromised verdict". This is when evidence does not exist to convict a defendant but they jury has been convinced by other means (such as public pressure or the belief that the defendant should go to prison) to keep the defendant off the streets.

Since the jury found that Daniel Green did not kill James Jordan, contrary to popular belief and that prosecutions assertion, the murder of James Jordan has not been truthfully solved.

The murder of Michael Jordan's father, James Jordan, and the prosecution of Daniel Andre' Green, one of the teenagers charged in his death, is a study of how justice is often undermined by the abuse of prosecutorial discretion, by the media being used as a propaganda tool by law enforcement and by the Public Defender's office lack of financial resources to adequately represent indigent defendant.

This case is also a reminder that institutionalized racism and social bias are still prevalent in rural America and are often delitescent factors in deciding who will play the role of scapegoat when a community purges itself of its own guilty conscious for failing itself and it's children.

The American justice system should ideally serve three primary purposes: It should ideally serve three primary purposes: it should provide catharsis for the victims, their families and the community,the justice system should deter others from breaking the laws that protect the higher interest of society and last but not least our justice system should safeguard the Constitutional Rights of the Accused. We should all agree that the provision of catharsis for the many should never come at the expense of violating the sacredness of any individuals Constitutional Rights. In principle these aims are the foundation of justice in a democracy and allow us to proudly claim "the world's greatest justice system"; but in practice we have a long way to go.

Preconceived notions and our desire to confirm them regardless of the truth- is partly why an innocent man was convicted of the murder of James Jordan with nothing more substantial than the word of a man with a history that demonstrates a propensity towards using violence for gain and who was facing death if he did not lie on Daniel Green.

Read On…

On August 5th, 1993 a stripped Lexus registered to Michael Jordan was found by a state trooper in the outskirts of Fayetteville, N.C.

When the officer contacted the security firm representing the Jordan family he was told "…find the body and keep it quiet." The next day a body, found in McColl, S.C. on August 3rd and subsequently cremated, was identified as being the remains of James Jordan - husband and father of seven children including basketball icon, Michael Jordan.

There was no way this shocking misfortune could be kept quiet.

When it was discovered that the elder Jordan had been murdered the news media impiously attributed his death to the gambling debts of his son. The media even went as far as to suggest that Jordan was the victim of a mob hit in retribution for Michael Jordan throwing games. This was a ridiculous conclusion to draw for anyone who had ever seen MJ play with a passion and competitive nature unmatched by anyone in his era of that game. No one left it all on the court like "Money Mike", the progenitor of the going-all-out, ball `til you fall philosophy that has transcended the game and is now so prevalent in the Hip Hop generation.

Yet, in true vulturine fashion, the same industry that made millions from this one man's skill and mass appeal couldn't resist the opportunity to capitalize off of the Jordan's tragedy by laying the blame at Michael's feet.

When un-cashed checks were found in the office of a murdered bail bondsman earlier, the media tried to hold Jordan responsible, portraying him as a man so domineering and competitive that it was not beyond the realm of possibility that he could have avoided paying a debt that was peanuts to him. When the investigation exonerated him, you could almost hear a sigh of disappointment from the media. "What a story that would've been" seemed to be the popular consensus of the media.

When the news media realized that they could not substantiate the rumors they had generated linking Jordan's murder to his son's lifestyle, they redirected their focus to sensationalizing the arrest of two North Carolina teenagers.

On the night of August the 14th, authorities from the Robeson County Sheriff's Department, the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation and the F.B.I. surrounded the residence of Daniel Andre' Green, and 18 year old African - American teenager who had been recently paroled from N.C.'s Department of Corrections after serving a few months shy of the maximum of a six year sentence for assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill.

This conviction, a miscarriage of justice, was later vacated and overturned in Robeson County Supreme Court on the basis that all the evidence proved that it was an accident in self-defense and that Green's lawyer, was ineffective in representing him and other clients. This lawyer, Frieda Black, an Assistant Public Defender had accepted a position with the District Attorney's office in Durham, N.C. and in a rush to clear her calendar had neglected her clients.

The fault was not hers alone. It was revealed that the Public Defender's office did not have the resources to adequately defend criminal defendants, practically guaranteeing them 2nd class representation. Even with a staff of dedicated lawyers, this problem remains today.

According to phone taps, Green called Demery and told him that his home was surrounded by men with guns and urged his friend to comeover to provide "…some back". Demery, on the other line with his fiancée Angela, thought that Green was playing a practical joke on him and clicked back over to continue an argument with the woman who was carrying his child, a child that Demery had asked Green to be Godfather to.

Daniel immediately called back and revealed his realization that the men with weapons were police officers. He told Demery to give his mother enough money to bail him out. He expected to be arrested for possession of stolen goods.

Daniel was taken into custody following the advice of this mother, who asked for an attorney to be present during questioning. He was told that an attorney was en route. With this, the weapon-brandishing oficers began an interrogation of the minor that would last for seven hours.

The officers used every tactic available to intimidate Green into confessing and saying that Demery had murdered Jordan, including theillegal practice of questioning "outside Miranda". This strategic method of circumventing the constitution includes intentionally withholding Miranda Warnings, ignoring requests for counsel, and lulling the target into not asserting the Miranda Rights that they are intentionally kept ignorant of.

It soon became obvious to the detectives that Green was misleading them and lying to protect his friend of ten years. Even when Green was told he would receive three to ten years for accessory after the fact if he signed a statement implicating Demery, he refused.

Daniel told the investigators that he had just spent two and a half years in prison for a crime he was not guilty of because he cooperated with the police. (This is the conviction that was overturned by attorneys from the N.C. Death Penalty Resource Centerand law students). He has no reason to trust the police and he did not intend on helping them send the friend he loved like a brother to death row.

In a final play to gain Green's cooperation, he was told that "Mr. Jordan has a penchant for young boys and girls" and had "probably tried to force Demery into having sex with him." An investigator would repeat the former allegations to a newspaper years later. To support this allegation, Green was told that James Jordan had several children out of wedlock from young girls and even accused Jordan of sexually molesting his own daughter, Deloris Jordan, several of her friends, and employees of the Jordan family.

When Green expressed his disbelief about these accusations and questioned why these things were never in the news, detectives told him that money could buy silence. The investigators then suggested to Green that Demery killed Jordan in self-defense after Jordan came onto him. Green agreed that it was "possible but not probable". When Green still refused to co-sign the investigators' attempt to close the case without regard to the truth, he was taken to amagistrate and charged with the murder of James Jordan.

Unbeknownst to Green, the authorities went to Demery's home shortly after Green's phone call to Larry. Based on descriptions of Demery given by the men who had stripped the Lexus in Fayetteville, N.C., Demery's cousin, a Robeson County Sheriff's Deputy, identified Larry as the man they were looking for.

After receiving Green's call, Demery concealed himself in a bean filed near his home. When the officers left he returned home where his parents demanded that he turn himself in. They accompanied him to the Robeson County Sheriff's Department in Lumberton, N.C. This was a trip they had made many times before.

A few years earlier, Demery had started getting in trouble. At first it was petty crimes like destruction of property. His next charges were breaking and entering. First personal property, then a neighborhood store. Around the same time he began abusing crack cocaine and was committing crimes to support his habit, including stealing from his parents repeatedly.

Instead of receiving proper treatment in a drug program, he was given probation and received counseling for underlying psychological problems that stemmed from being subjected to physical abuse at the hands of his father and watching him abuse his mother. When he dropped out of school it was because of the pressure he was under at home; not because of a lack of intelligence. In fact, he is highly intelligent and well read. The friendship Demery and Green shared was based on their common interest in books.

Demery increasingly became more violent. He robbed a local character "Pitt the Bean" and beat him for making a remark to Demery's fiancée Angela. He and Daniel Oxendine robbed a store near their high school and beat the owner who was so traumatized that he closed the store down.

The final crime he committed is when he and several others robbed a Pantry store and Demery hit an old woman in the head with a brick. The violence he was subjected to at home war magnified by him in order to support his addiction. In each of these crimes Larry Demery either acted alone or he was the leader and instigator, he was not the passive follower that the state portrayed him to be to give credibility to his testimony in the Jordan case.

Many of his peers considered him to be weird but he was no devoid ofredemptive qualities that inspired loyalty in his friends including Green.

When Black students integrated Union Elementary School, Demery was the first to befriend Green. In 3rd grade Demery gave a speech at a Black History Month program in which he voiced his support for the Black students and proudly proclaimed Daniel as being his best friend. Shortly afterward the two boys became blood brothers in the pre-aidsritual of exchanging blood. They entered science fairs, break dancing contests and book reading competitions together. They stayed at one another's homes and even fought together - mostly when Demery would help his Black friend in an overtly racist environment.

Most importantly to Green was the simple fact that Demery stayed in touch with him when Green was imprisoned for the charge that was later vacated.

Upon Green's release Demery told him about his crack cocaine addiction, Green promised to help him stay clean and Demery promised to help Green get the money to fulfill his goal of going to the School of Arts in Miami, Florida.

Approximately a month after Green's release he, Demery and a third party robbed two couples at a hotel on the spur of the moment. Demery brandished the weapon, Green collected the spoils. A month later the investigators of Jordan's murder were using the same intimidation tactics in interrogating Demery that they had used on Green. They even threatened Demery with "a needle up your %##, son" in reference to the death penalty.

The officers finally restricted to outright deception, telling Demery that Green had fingered him in the murder of Jordan and that the only way to save his own life would be for him to place the blame on Green.

Fatigued, scared and feeling that his best friend had betrayed him, Demery wrote a statement that portrayed himself as an unwilling participant that was merely present when Green surprised him by killing Jordan in his sleep. By the time Demery found out that the investigators had tricked him into lying on his best friend, it was too late to tell the truth without placing himself on death row.

Originally Posted by MikeScarn

I remember reading this on NT a couple of years ago....someone also brought up the possibility of an NBA suspension being masked as his first retirement.

It's kind of believable that if in fact his gambling problem was so out of control, the league would have to take action. However a 2 year ban would certainly tarnish the leagues image so they had him "retire".

I don't know if I believe it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

This may actually have some weight to it. I read the book titled "Money Players" this past year and it had a section in the book that touched onMJ's gambling problem and his father's death. The book even revealed how MJ didn't care to see or hear about the murderers' trials. I'veread the book "Driven From Within" as well and I too was a lil' shocked how MJ's friends said he was so nonchalant during the whole ordeal.It just doesn't add up considering MJ and his father were supposedly very close. The "Money Players" book also showed how David Stern may havesuggested that MJ "retire" while he and the NBA folks "straighten things out"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by raffstyleXX

heard few times that mafia wants mj throw a game/championship... well Idk

wasn't the rumor that he was supposed to throw the '93 championship?

and i also believe his first retirement was really a suspension

I'd believe the James Jordan Molester rumors before the Mob connections to the death. By now, some Mob boss who'd gotten hemmed up would have used that as a bargaining chip. I mean, it's been damn near 20 years, imagine being the Federal agent interrogating a guy who says, "I want immunity, and I'll give you all the details and evidence that shows what REALLY happened to James Jordan"...

However, someone being a pervert can be covered up... that happens ALL THE TIME in this country.

Originally Posted by doyung9

I'd believe the James Jordan Molester rumors before the Mob connections to the death. By now, some Mob boss who'd gotten hemmed up would have used that as a bargaining chip. I mean, it's been damn near 20 years, imagine being the Federal agent interrogating a guy who says, "I want immunity, and I'll give you all the details and evidence that shows what REALLY happened to James Jordan"...

However, someone being a pervert can be covered up... that happens ALL THE TIME in this country.

128705555734213338.jpg

Back
Top Bottom