Jumpman = Ballet Move: Is this true?

Just read this on Wikipedia:

The Jumpman logo is a silhouette of studio photograph of Jordan performing a ballet move, not an actual dunk as many believe.
Is this for real? I know the original picture the silhouette was taken from was a studio shot, but was it really a ballet move?

dude its wikipedia i can write that it was inspired by a man jumping off a building if i wanted

not true, jordan was just practicing different kinds of jumps for a photoshoot. most people think he was in the middle of a dunk, but that isn't trueeither. he was just trying distintive looking jumps.

Is this for real? I know the original picture the silhouette was taken from was a studio shot, but was it really a ballet move?

It's not normal for a person to dunk with such a wide opened legs.
Also, it's not true that the picture was taken while Mike was doing ballet move. More like "ballet" move.
Everyone's opinion is different. Also, learn to know that Wikipedia's informations are contributed by people like us.
Unless there's a citation from an official website of Jordan, I don't believe its a ballet move.

Funny though.. Ballet... LOL
laugh.gif

72r8w8k.gif

817jlzo.gif

http://www.nba.com/jordan/hoop_mjonmj.html

Q: It has to be amazing for you to watch some of the young players trying to imitate some of your dunks.
Jordan: The thing about those dunks is that they were never really planned. It was more or less created instinctively once I got up in theair. But those were the things that people focused on.

It's like my logo. I wasn't even dunking on that one. People think that I was. I just stood on the floor, jumped up and spread my legs and they tookthe picture. I wasn't even running. Everyone thought I did that by running and taking off. Actually, it was a ballet move where I jumped up and spread mylegs. And I was holding the ball in my left hand.

Trust me, I know Wikipedia can be less than accurate. I was just wondering if there was any truth behind this particular statement.

False, I think. Didn't really know much about the jumpman logo, though I did see the live gif's, like the one just posted.

False, although the movement and 'jump' is infact a ballet move (my girl used to be a ballerina) I'm almost positive MJ wasnt trying to do balletmove or was inspired by ballet.

http://www.nba.com/jordan/hoop_mjonmj.html

Q: It has to be amazing for you to watch some of the young players trying to imitate some of your dunks.

Jordan: The thing about those dunks is that they were never really planned. It was more or less created instinctively once I got up in the air. But those were the things that people focused on.

It's like my logo. I wasn't even dunking on that one. People think that I was. I just stood on the floor, jumped up and spread my legs and they took the picture. I wasn't even running. Everyone thought I did that by running and taking off. Actually, it was a ballet move where I jumped up and spread my legs. And I was holding the ball in my left hand.

now maybe I'm naive for believing nba.com, but that's the answer right there. He was doing a ballet move, didn't run, didn'tdunk or anything.

its funny how some of you guys just read the first post and ignore everything else said before you post....so quick to give the guy stone faces....
Everyone thought I did that by running and taking off. Actually, it was a ballet move where I jumped up and spread my legs. And I was holding the ball in my left hand.

Good to know. Why are people still disagreeing? Jordans , himself said it was a ballet move.

I've heard it referred to as the "Stretch Air". I remember Dominique Wilkins doing the same pose on a poster back in the day...

^No, never. This was never an actual dunk. I dont understand the stale faces, the post starter is right

Back
Top Bottom