Junot Diaz is seriously like my favorite writer at the moment.

balloonoboy

Banned
My girl put me on to him, and now I'm wondering where he's been all my life.

Junot Diaz does a great job merging real world problems with the hispanic culture. I'm not hispanic, but I can surely see myself over my tios house, when my parents are at work, or when the family just gets together to have fun, eating pastelitos, tostones, platanos, etc. I don't want to be hispanic, but am very enamored with the culture, have been since I start learning to speak spanish. He effortlessly navigates the parallels between cultures.

Some of Diaz' works include:

oscar-wao1.jpg

drown.jpg

and various short stories. One such story, The Pura Principle, appears in the New Yorker this week (3/22). Again, it speaks of the family bond in the time of turmoil.

His writing is just a breath of fresh air. An unwavering voice that may mark a generation.

I highly recommend this writer to you all, hispanic or not, if you haven't already been put on.

Yeah I read the Oscar Wao book too, actually reccomended it in one of the book threads here in General. I might have to check out that second book once I'm done reading the current book I'm on.

He's a really good vivid writer. I've read both of his books. I personally liked Drown more.
if you like these two books you should check out "mean streets" by Piri Thomas

I loved drown especially how to date a brown girl white girl black girl or halfie. Ive read the entire book at least three times but I lost track of how many times I read that short story.

Originally Posted by Luckyiam619

He's a really good vivid writer. I've read both of his books. I personally liked Drown more.
if you like these two books you should check out "mean streets" by Piri Thomas
Thanks. I'll be sure to do that.

............. get in line

thing is he writes books anyone can relate to.
laugh.gif
just becuase he struck a cord with you doesn't mean he did not struck a cord w/ everyone else.
laugh.gif
@ thinking you're special

but really, yeah hes a good writer, creative.

Yup, I read Drown, and it was instantly one of the best books that I have read. His way of writing makes it easy to put his words into life form.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

............. get in line

thing is he writes books anyone can relate to.
laugh.gif
just becuase he struck a cord with you doesn't mean he did not struck a cord w/ everyone else.
laugh.gif
@ thinking you're special

but really, yeah hes a good writer, creative.

so was that whole first part even needed?

just finished reading oscar wao and i must say that book is crazy good. I love how Junot Diaz is able to incorporate so much and still make the story believable.

As a Latino who relate to much of the stuff you guys are mentioning in your descriptions of his work, I'll be sure to check him out.

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

As a Latino who relate to much of the stuff you guys are mentioning in your descriptions of his work, I'll be sure to check him out.

He's the deal
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom