Just Got Hired At The Bank Vol. Cashin' Out

Top Boy

formerly jay patt
ixPf1ikfAWNsO.gif

Entry-level position as a teller. 18, before someone asks.

Very good at doing math in my head, can hold a conversation for years, and it would intentionally take someone going above and beyond to rustle my jimmies.

Anything I need to know?

What can I do to ensure a speedy promotion?

If I find I enjoy this line of work, what major would you recommend (currently undeclared)?

Last edited:
My wife was a teller some years back. They are big on sales obviously, getting people to sign up for different promotions they are running. Honestly its a good thing to have on a resume, good job kid. Just get used to standing on your feet for hours.

The only problem my wife had was people trying to scam, and making sure your count is right at the end of the shift. You will no doubt see alot of bad birds working their so work that into your favor.

Great Western Bank.

And yeah im use too it though. Been at Finish Line for almost eight months now working slave shifts so aggressive selling and legs o' steel have already been added to my repertoire.

Pretty much seen it all in terms of dealing with the general public.

Im thinking more post-college positions.

Last edited:
lol RIP this is how they suck you in the positions are usually "full time" pay is good for what it is and thats how they trap you  someone at your age will enjoy the job and think its paper and will make it your primary focus instead of school  if your content with that enjoy man one of my boys is a banker he started out like you straight out of high school eventually got sidetracked off school and focused more on his job at the bank a few years later and some promotions later hes making a living but is dying to go back to school

all im saying is just dont get too comfortable and make sure you focus on school and enjoy the paper while it lasts
pimp.gif

better be scheming on a robbery for a real come up

cause I just don't see the hype

Great Western Bank.

And yeah im use too it though. Been at Finish Line for almost eight months now working slave shifts so aggressive selling and legs o' steel have already been added to my repertoire.

Pretty much seen it all in terms of dealing with the general public.

Im thinking more post-college positions.

My wife worked her first 2 years in college and it worked for her. She was at chase first but then went to Wells Fargo cause of better hours and pay. Problem is the wells fargo was full of birds and the drama just became too annoying so she bounced back to chase :lol:. I'm telling you though its alittle different at bank, you talking about peoples money. They can get alittle testy. But the way I see any job you gonna have to deal with something, just keep through the day and make that paper. My wife made good money with all the comission she got from upselling. Some branchs are better than others she tells me though.

lol RIP this is how they suck you in the positions are usually "full time" pay is good for what it is and thats how they trap you  someone at your age will enjoy the job and think its paper and will make it your primary focus instead of school  if your content with that enjoy man one of my boys is a banker he started out like you straight out of high school eventually got sidetracked off school and focused more on his job at the bank a few years later and some promotions later hes making a living but is dying to go back to school

all im saying is just dont get too comfortable and make sure you focus on school and enjoy the paper while it lasts :pimp:

Honestly you can say that about any job, people get comfortable its not the job its the person. I for one worked my whole time in college, I got to make money man I'm allergic to broke :lol:

Everything is a balance in life, but no matter what you got to eat.

My wife worked her first 2 years in college and it worked for her. She was at chase first but then went to Wells Fargo cause of better hours and pay. Problem is the wells fargo was full of birds and the drama just became too annoying so she bounced back to chase
laugh.gif
. I'm telling you though its alittle different at bank, you talking about peoples money. They can get alittle testy. But the way I see any job you gonna have to deal with something, just keep through the day and make that paper. My wife made good money with all the comission she got from upselling. Some branchs are better than others she tells me though.
Honestly you can say that about any job, people get comfortable its not the job its the person. I for one worked my whole time in college, I got to make money man I'm allergic to broke
laugh.gif

Everything is a balance in life, but no matter what you got to eat.
when you work retail or whatever your getting paid close to minimum wage but they can give a flexible schedule as a banker your in there from like 9-5 M-F making almost 50% more than min wage and at 18 sure thats a lot of money but where does that leave you in terms of school just speaking from my experience all the bankers i meet are usually in their early 20s trying to go back to school and get an AA degree so they can get that manager promotion lol but im sure if you try you can make it work just dont forget your going to school so you dont have to be a bank teller your whole life
laugh.gif

when you work retail or whatever your getting paid close to minimum wage but they can give a flexible schedule as a banker your in there from like 9-5 M-F making almost 50% more than min wage and at 18 sure thats a lot of money but where does that leave you in terms of school just speaking from my experience all the bankers i meet are usually in their early 20s trying to go back to school and get an AA degree so they can get that manager promotion lol but im sure if you try you can make it work just dont forget your going to school so you dont have to be a bank teller your whole life :lol:

Oh no doubt. plenty of jobs are full of drop outs and what not. But plenty are kids working through school too. Its all that balance

I work at Capital One. Been here for a year and a half. Just got promoted to banker in April from a teller. I hate it. Boring as hell because you don't interact with as many people. An the people you do talk to are pissed because of some money issue. Too much paper work. Too many regulations. An your constantly under a microscope, sales wise because you are responsible for the direct selling of bank products and services. An the raise I got was terrible. As someone stated earlier the real money is in investment banking not retail banking.

Congrats OP.

At the age of 18, that's a good job to have. Great look on the resume too like someone posted.

I'm a teller at a bank in Canada.

You're handling people's personal finances and personal information, so understand when some people will give you the cold shoulder when you try to service them. There are people who are extra, extra personal with these kind of things, so don't take it personal, especially when certain customers are used to specific tellers helping them. You'll feel some people reluctant to be pleasant to you at first, but then they'll eventually warm up to you.

However, my first goal working here was to create a relationship with regulars especially. You'll have many regulars.

Trust me, it helps out a lot if you try to remember their first name and just know small tidbits about them.

I don't know what kind of branch you'll be working at but my branch is in the suburbs of Toronto, a small town, so almost 3/4s of our clientele here are regulars. But try to establish that relationship with those customers and even new ones. If you want to move up in the company, it'll be good to have that clientele.

As for sales goals. It's tough at first. You have experience in retail so that's a plus. But like I said - people will be reluctant to upgrade their accounts or talk about their financials with a young adult. That's fine. You'll find your own comfortable spiel as time goes on.

Banking in the states is probable a little different compared to our banking ways up here in the North.

Any questions OP, let me know and drop me a message. I can see if I can help you out with certain things.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
as a dude who has a sister as a teller and dated 2 girls that where both tellers and i currently wrk in the banking world (nt w/ the public or anything to do w/ a teller position) but have multiple fellow employees who used to be tellers everything ive ever been told is that its the worst job in the world pay is nt that great, if u dont get people to open accts u get put on probation constant micro managing YOUR ALWAYS BEING WATCHED

the only good thing abt the job is that ounce you get a job in banking it opens the door up to ALOT of other banking possibilities and that your 18 its a great opportunity

**** sucks to be honest. I'm in banking and am so drained. Got a lot to say but am on the way to work right now so it'll have to wait.

use it as a tool to get to someplace better because banking at lower levels will drain the life out of you. They don't give a **** about you or your life. that little pay you make means **** when you consider what you will go through and how much they win from using you.

wells...about that. No sick time. Can't easily take pto. smh.

time to get an sms signature, I suggest '-$MuNeY StAxX$'

let her know you're not playing when you hit her off with the text,
"I just seent you cash in yo father's inheritence check, gurl you look good
-$MuNeY StAxX$"

-$bandz$

Last edited:
Sounds like some of you had some pretty terrible experiences as tellers. I'm guessing most ere at larger banks where all they care about are sales and nothing else.

From working at a medium sized regional bank, I can say that we were always focused on customer service first and something that helped a lot with referrals & customer retention.

If you want to be successful and your bank cares more about the customers than just the sale, here are some keys:

- try to learn a few of the regular customers names if you're not at a bank with lots of turnover clients. They'll appreciate it and you'll benefit when the time comes to pitch them the right products.

- don't assume ANYTHING. If you don't have all the facts, let your manager know and help you out. In banking, it's all about reducing risk, and if they can prevent a loss or take the fall instead (not likely though), do it.

- always balance

- go the extra mile. If there's a special project or something that others aren't willing to do, volunteer. Getting in good graces with the customer service manager & branch manager will only help your career.

- look for available classes when possible. This is free training that the bank will offer you. TAKE IT. There are still classes I took as a teller that have helped me even after I quit banking. Some of them would easily cost at least $500 a piece, so it's free money and knowledge. Not to mention you'll probably get paid anyways and compensated for mileage & food as well.

Back
Top Bottom