Kansas City Closing 26 Schools by 2011

30,705
5,444
Joined Aug 2, 2008
And this is the prime example of Redistribution of Wealth in a future sense... Not the !#*%%*@! Conservatives call Redistribution of Wealth.. This is the real life occurrence right here..
 
8,123
358
Joined Nov 10, 2007
Originally Posted by JACKEL56

who are they going to play against in sports?
good question, looks like they found a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone - decrease extra curricular activities funding

to the person talking about failing our children and there having to be a better solution, there are none, not when money is tight

- they could raise taxes in order to increase public school funding - which im sure no one is willing to pay
- or they could take money from some other government funded program like construction or law enforcement

either way, theres no silver bullet
 
4,520
10
Joined May 9, 2003
ehh. KCSD has been HORRIBLE for years now. im sooo glad i didnt grow up in that school district. i have cousins in the school district and they say not only do the students not care, the teachers could care less about the kids. most the teachers are in it for the check. my cousins has had countless amount of days out of school because the teachers go on strike and dont go to work about 4 times a year.

KCSD has not been accredited for a loong time now. why do you think all the people that live in places like the plaza and other rich parts of kansas city go to charter/private schools? no one wants to be a part of this school district.

and jackel56, the sports sucked. if you wanna play sports in kc high school, you try and transfer to north kansas city/raytown/park hill school district.

we had like 5 ppl come into North Kansas City to play on our football and wrestling team back when i was in HS.
 

al audi

Banned
29,824
4,562
Joined Jun 18, 2009
Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i read this earlier and i can't believe it...

this country is failing our children and we aren't doing much to stop them...

i honestly have no solution but i know there has to be one...
this country is failing PERIOD
'
thats why something HUGE will take place.
  
 

soggymayo

Banned
122
10
Joined Mar 6, 2010
Originally Posted by Al Audi

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i read this earlier and i can't believe it...

this country is failing our children and we aren't doing much to stop them...

i honestly have no solution but i know there has to be one...
this country is failing PERIOD
'
thats why something HUGE will take place.
  
What makes you say that?
America been winning since 1776
 
482
11
Joined Apr 30, 2005
Once again, NT grabs the headline and then reacts.  The NBC story does a little bit to explain the decreased enrollment, but the hard-hitting lines are those about the numbers of schools that will be closed, teachers laid off, and money saved.  If you do a little further reading you learn that on the whole the district is operating at only 48% capacity (according to KCSD Superintendent John Covington).  Why is it such a tragedy to consolidate a number half-full schools?  It happens all the time in many other places around the country.  And at the risk of provoking a digression into minutia, an average of 515 students per consolidated school doesn't sound particularly crowded to me.  Other than highlighting the economic plight of a major city's schools, why is this even a story?
 
6,782
18
Joined Dec 29, 2006
NTers, let me ask you this.

Better schools or safer streets?

Domestic Threats

 Is VIOLENT crime inversely proportional to education level? In other words, if the average American had a better education would there be a drop off in murders, gun fights, robberies, etc?

We all know white collar crime tends to be proportional to intelligence and education, so a rise in that is expected. However, I'd rather have a bunch of tax frauds and hedge fund frauds then goons on the street.

Foreign Threats

Not as straight forward as domestic policy. However, in this situation we should be able to have our cake and eat it. I see no reason why we can't spend billions on pointless wars (see Iraq) and education.

Instead of being world police, we need to fix our own damn country.
I'm not one to quote the bible but, Mathew 7:5 is pretty applicable to the United States foreign policy.
 "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then youwill see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."
 
21,377
812
Joined Nov 20, 2003
Originally Posted by soggymayo

  What makes you say that?
America been winning since 1776
No country is winning. No country is great. Get that through your head.
 
Top Bottom