Kanye West: King of the Sunken Place, "Watch the Throne"

Keep moving the goal posts
Explain?

MTG talked about Jewish space lasers and her people reelected her with 65% of the vote. The people who would condemn her for such language are not her audience nor her constituency. It's the same thing with all the politicians with neo-nazi/white supremacist ties who keep getting reelected.

Unlike a superstar athlete or artist, politicians don't have to cater to a diverse public to stay relevant.

Could someone explain why Dave Chappelle's monologue seems to be getting criticism? I've listened to the Stand-Up Monologue three-times and can't seem to pin point why he could face criticism for commenting on the situation. Outside of the Kyrie comments, I didn't see much that would cause a stir.

Could someone explain why Dave Chappelle's monologue seems to be getting criticism? I've listened to the Stand-Up Monologue three-times and can't seem to pin point why he could face criticism for commenting on the situation. Outside of the Kyrie comments, I didn't see much that would cause a stir.

People are complaining for the sake of it. Based on some of the comments I read, its like, "did you even watch it?" Cause Dave said nothing imo to warrant criticism in this case.

Explain?

MTG talked about Jewish space lasers and her people reelected her with 65% of the vote. The people who would condemn her for such language are not her audience nor her constituency. It's the same thing with all the politicians with neo-nazi/white supremacist ties who keep getting reelected.

Unlike a superstar athlete or artist, politicians don't have to cater to a diverse public to stay relevant.

You’ve been going in on both Kanye and kyrie but are willing to dismiss when politicians do it?

White tears. Same backlash he got from his trans monologue when people miss the point.

Critical thinking is something Americans lack

The thing is...

Was Dave just trying to be funny when he was on stage ranting about him not getting paid for Chapelle show?

Was he just being funny when he was on stage talking about George Floyd?

I mean people on NT defend Dave against claims of bigotry against the Trans community by using things he said on stage.

Dave is a comedian but it is clear wants his social commentary to be taken seriously too. And so do a lot of other people that agree with him.

So yeah, people are gonna disagree with his takes an voice their disagreement.

Sure comedians should have leeway over parts of their bit. That doesn't make them immune to negative reactions. Especially a comic that mixes in social commentary with his act.

Last edited:
Laughter / comedy is a glue that has the power to bring all people together - just like music.

I still remember laughing at "Get er Done" and "You might be a Redneck" jokes - and I am about as far away as one could be from Southern White culture.

The minute Chappelle began to use his talents to explore the fact that the injustices we (gay, straight, black, white, male, female, Jewish, Christian, etc) face are all perpetrated by the same forces - he became a threat. Not only did he walk away from the industry but came back organically, while speaking out against the same industry, and ended up even more popular than before.

TBH it makes sense for the ADL / media to criticize / scrutinize a man like that.

Division is the foundation of their power / influence...and the media is the most powerful tool to reach that end.

The thing is...

Was Dave just trying to be funny when he was on stage ranting about him not getting paid for Chapelle show.

Was he just being funny when he was on stage talking about George Floyd.

I mean people on NT defend Dave against claims of bigotry against Trans by using things he said on stage.

Dave is a comedian but it is clear wants his social commentary to be taken seriously too. And so do a lot of other people that agree with him.

So yeah, people are gonna disagree with his takes an voice their disagreement.

Sure comedians should have leeway over parts of their bit. That doesn't make them immune to negative reactions. Especially a comic that mixes in social commentary with his act.

I completely agree with you. Comedians should have more leeway with making sensitive jokes but should be taken to task when they mix social commentary in their routines. With that being said, do you think the standup that he preformed should be labeled as having an anti-semitic under tone? Outside of excusing Kyrie's support of the movie as black people haven't done anything to jewish people, I'm having trouble seeing that.

Laughter / comedy is a glue that has the power to bring all people together - just like music.
Music is and has always been a weapon of warfare:

double take.jpg

False_Dilemma.jpg

More than one thing can be true at the same time Fam.

Are you telling me or yourself? All I did was juxtapose your own words with one of your favored "selective outrage" memes.

It's hypocritical to act like "a comedian's only job is to be funny" and "words can't hurt people" while acknowledging the adverse impact of modern day minstrelsy in commercial rap music - especially if you claim to be all about consistency and accountability.

If your attitude towards music isn't "who cares if it reinforces negative stereotypes as long as it slaps", then how can your attitude towards comedy be, "it's funny! So what if it reinforces negative stereotypes?"

The assignment was to be funny Fam.

He's a comedian.

It is entirely possible to be funny without trafficking negative stereotypes.
It is entirely possible to make great music without trafficking negative stereotypes.

Both of those things can be true at the same time.

It's hypocritical to act like "a comedian's only job is to be funny" and "words can't hurt people" while acknowledging the adverse impact of modern day minstrelsy in commercial rap music - especially if you claim to be all about consistency and accountability.

Hypocritical? :lol:

I actually thought you were joking.

If serious then,

+

Section1 - General Conduct

4. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the board is against NT guidelines. Note: "hijacking" of threads (posting with intent to derail a thread) and "copycat" threads (i.e. parodies mocking others' threads) will be considered trolling.

=

Mods, you know what to do...

Oh, wait

:lol:

Hypocritical? :lol:

I actually thought you were joking.

If serious then,

+

Section1 - General Conduct

4. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the board is against NT guidelines. Note: "hijacking" of threads (posting with intent to derail a thread) and "copycat" threads (i.e. parodies mocking others' threads) will be considered trolling.

=

Mods, you know what to do...

Oh, wait

Pointing out an incongruity in your own stated positions is trolling?

Red_Herring.jpg

Oh yeah famb

I was just waiting for that banger of a post you made to tear you down.

:rolleyes: :lol:

Rusty aint never far behind with the horn blowing.

Keeping tradition alive:

"The bandwagon gets its name from the nineteenth-century practice of political supporters jumping onto their parties’ bandwagons—literal wagons used to transport musical bands at rallies and parades."

Pointing out an incongruity in your own stated positions is trolling?

Red_Herring.jpg

reads title of thread

Note: "hijacking" of threads (posting with intent to derail a thread) and "copycat" threads (i.e. parodies mocking others' threads) will be considered trolling.

Section 4 - ETC

4. Administrators reserve the right to exercise discretion in removing any member whose conduct is deemed disrespectful or destructive to the community. Don't risk your membership over something foolish. If you are respectful to your fellow members at all times and handle conflict appropriately, your membership will never be in jeopardy.

cac.jpg

Back
Top Bottom