Kiss the NBA Goodbye, Seattle!

Just when Seattle have something special in the making, they'll pull the plug. :smh:
smh.gif

Seattle def doesn't deserve this kind of treatment. I would have never imagine a city like Seattle would have no NBA team.

So I guess they'll resort to watch their WNBA team.. :x
sick.gif
Zero Tolerance

There's an outcry to enforce the terms of the lease but what is with the local and state gov't not doing everything they can to fund a new arena? The Supersonics are one of the longest tenured franchises in sports, with a rich history. You'd think that'd be some kind of motivation for the city to make something happen.

Key Arena was renovated in 1994/95. The team could've just left the old Seattle Center Coliseum alone, which was awesome the way it was, and kept playing there while they built a new arena. Renovating arenas older than 20 years is a poor investment, in my opinion (SCC was 32 years old in 1994).

I can't imagine the Sonics elsewhere. They're a staple NBA franchise - like the Knicks, Celtics, Bulls, Pistons, Suns, and Lakers.

Seattle, get to work and keep that team there! That's your team, not Bennett's.

The city council is a joke. The only reason they passed the ordinance to screw the Sonics is so they could save what little money they'll get out of the end of the lease. The mayor has come out with a full assault on Bennett, saying in the media that his door is open to negotiations. Bennett has rejected every single opportunity to negotiate for an arena. Bennett wants a new arena, the mayor says they can build at the KeyArena site. The city has even offered to pitch in most of any renovation costs. If Bennett really wanted to keep the team in Seattle, he'd talk to the mayor.

It's sickening how much of a "what have you done for me lately" town (and state) this is.

Mariners - one winning season in almost 20 seasons, have two great months of baseball (in 1995) and they get a new stadium. Still not even a trip to the World Series.

Seahawks - in the 15 years before Qwest Field got approval (although a large part was privately financed), the Hawks were sub-.500 with no trips to the playoffs. Got stadium approval after one-and-done trip to the playoffs in '99.

Sonics - three trips to the finals in 40 years, one title. Last trip to the finals just a little over ten years ago. Reached WCF in each of last three decades (not in the '00s).

And the city and state is repaying the Sonics how? By not caring because they haven't made the playoffs.

Things to keep in mind though: both the Hawks and Mariners were literally leaving town before those two franchises were saved. In the Hawks' case, the moving trucks were packed and rolling out of team headquarters. Let's hope Slade Gorton has one more trick up his sleeve.
Keep the Sonics in Seattle​
KEVIN / & JEFF/ & Wally / & Chris / & Luke / & Earl / & Damien / & Nick / & Johan

Quote:
They're the one team I claim total allegiance to, through thick and thin. If they left town, I'd probably be inconsolable.

i feel the exact same way. and i still think something will get done to get an arena built but if the sonics do leave i'm done with the nba. even if we get another team up here, it isn't the sonics so i'm done.

Quote:
I haven't really kept up with the whole lawsuit thing, so maybe you can fill in some more on that.
Keep the Sonics in SeattleKevin& Chris& Jeff& Luke& Delonte& Earl& Damien & Nick& Johan
Out of towners don't be knowin about the best-kept's/Ain't nothing better than the summer in the NORTHWEST

Quote:
But then I ask this of you, NBA fans (which I know there are a lot of on this board): it seems like there are a number of people on this board who are squealing with glee over the Sonics' situation. I ask why? Is it honestly in the best interest of the NBA to have a historically successful team leave a city after 40+ years? Do you really think the NBA is better off in OK City, an incredibly smaller market? What about Durant vs. Oden in the I-5 rivalry for years to come? The NBA would lose a huge marketing opportunity that was cemented by this year's draft.

Is the NBA better off with Seattle out of the picture forever?
dmbrhs
.:: |Team| Toronto| Raptors| ::.
.:: We Aint Scurred of the C's ::.
TEAM PRARIE BOYZ​

BallinBoykz:
See, the Sonics situation really sucks. The team has been in Seattle for over 40 years, and now this problem is trying to be resolved? If the Sonics have been surviving this long, then why not wait it out just a bit longer? Instead, David Stern is trying to do a quick fix to a situation that can be fixed overall in the long run. In his eyes, the quick fix is sending the team to Oklahoma City. But like I said, a quick fix wont solve anything. In five years after moving, OKC will be in the same problem as the Sonics are presently in. And, with Kevin Durrant coming in, why doesnt the city use him as a marketing tool (if they have then disregard that statement). But even if Seattle is using him as a marketing tool, why doesnt the NBA use him as well. Instead, we have those boring "where __________ happens". But thats neither here nor there. My opinion is, why do a quick fix in a move to a different city, when then team has survived there for over 40 years? Really, why move a franchise after 40 years. Thats nearly half a century of having one team in one city. David Stern is doing all he can do try and revive the NBA, when really all that needs to be fixed is the reffing. The only reason why ratings are low is because people dont like watching boring basketball with touch foul after touch foul.

I know the situation goes further than just number of viewers. Sure, they do need a new or upgraded place to play. That, unfortunately, comes down to the city of Seattle. And I agree with dmbrhs when he compares the other city's teams to upgrades they have recieved.

If the Supersonics move, personally Im going to be very unhappy about it. This team has a history in Seattle, and its a good history. Why move a good thing? Sure, upgrades havent happened yet. Why not get the NBA to try and help out in the situation instead of moving the team that will "solve" the problem.

cause David Stern is a @#%$...the NBA seems like acting these days....almost scripted........ever since the move from NBC to ABC..... and "I Love This Game" to "Where Amazing Happens".....it shows that the NBA is meant for entertainment and not a real game like it once was...15 years ago, if you flopped consistently, nobody would tolerate it...But back to this, it's sickening how Stern favors the refs more than the players as if people pay to see the refs....
smh.gif
.People don't want to see the refs control a game, and Stern wonders why the NBA is losing money...If the Sonics move, it will be very upsetting to say the least, but I think it is for financial reasons........The NBA owners should collaborate and get rid of Stern........
Air Jordan
1984-1993
1995-1998
2001-2003
"The best there ever was, the best there ever will be."

Stern is way over his head right now.

I can't see my team go away because this team means so much not only to the city but to myself as well.

It's damn near impossible to sway Clay Bennett right now, rejecting every offer and even worse he does not allow players to be interviewed local media ever so often. I think they only give out media pass to one player (or team personel) per week. No way to promote our amazing rookie or even @#%$ about our horrible point guard (Earl Watson, damn :smh:
smh.gif
)

David Stern doesn't know how to fix the league. He had his chance when players went on to a strike but league resumed without any resolution. Rather than fixing what's wrong he's trying to patch up things here and there, saying things like we need to expand our league to Europe or China should build more NBA-ready arena but my thought is 'for what?'. Arena situation isn't problem for Seattle only. Lot of NBA arenas aren't selling no more. Relocated teams are doing horrible in ticket sales, too (Memphis, wow). When you have a winning team like San Antonio expressing their concern about their own arena and saying either they want the renovation or they will have to move, I think there's a problem way bigger than we see. Seattle situation is just a tip of the iceberg.

Seattle has a ton of land and there are people there to offer great deal to build a new arena but Clay won't listen and even worse, David Stern is behind all this supporting his @#%$. Even if Seattle stays in Seattle, they are not going to play in Seattle anymore, they are likely to go to suburb (like Detroit) but point is, we have resourses to keep the Sonics in Seattle.

There about to join the toughest division in the L. GL sonics.
HoustonRockets
FRANCIS - MCGRADY - YAO​

Seattle blowing it man. Just stay where your at stop complaining
TEAMATLANTAHAWKS​
Childress - Claxton - Horford - Johnson - Johnson - Jones - Law - Lue
Pachulia - Smith - Stoudamire - West - Williams - Williams - Wright​

i can't understand the public funding of stadiums and sports venues. i just can't. sports are great and entertaining and all, but when you're basically blackmailing the state to fund your project given a govt's responsibility to other forms of social maintenance, the sports thing should take a back seat. especially since the nba is such a wealthy corporation with billions in assets and capital.

this is blackmail and coercion imo.

that is, if i'm understanding the issue correctly.
TEAMGIANTS
TEAMNEWYORKMETS​
TEAMNEWYORKKNICKS​

Quote:
that is, if i'm understanding the issue correctly.

sounds like you are.

something from the Seattle TImes this morning.

Quote:
Seattle Deputy Mayor Tim Ceis said he was disappointed by Stern's comments.

"Instead of firing verbal scuds at us, what we'd prefer is he take some of his own advice, sit down with us and work it out," Ceis said, adding that Mayor Greg Nickels' door is "wide open" to talk with Bennett or Stern about an arena solution.

Ceis said he was astonished by how differently Stern has treated the arena situation in Seattle compared to Sacramento.

Stern has taken mostly a hands-off approach in Seattle, but he has personally worked on negotiating possible new arenas for the Kings even after Sacramento voters last year rejected two ballot measures to fund a new arena.

"Here in Seattle he's doing everything he can to help Clay Bennett out the door," Ceis said.

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004003232_stern09.html
Keep the Sonics in SeattleKevin& Chris& Jeff& Luke& Delonte& Earl& Damien & Nick& Johan
Out of towners don't be knowin about the best-kept's/Ain't nothing better than the summer in the NORTHWEST

Hasn't the legislature passed a law that is hindering the building of a new arena? It seems like no one really wants to foot the bill.

From the espn article

Quote:
Stern repeated earlier criticism of the mayor and city council for promoting a measure, overwhelmingly passed by voters, that requires any funds to help build an arena earn money at the same rate as a treasury bill.

That measure simply means there is no way city money would ever be used on an arena project, Stern said.
808. PERIOD.
20% offKarmaloop.com with code: JBOAT

I was told stern and Bennett were college roommates... Idk but this is all shultz fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T GO TO STARBUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom