Kobe IV or KD II

Okay guys, I know this is like the third thread I've made on which shoe to buy, but after reading the kicksology review of the KD II, I had to rethink my choice. The KD II and the Kobe IV both got outstanding marks as performance shoes, and both look great as well. However, which shoe would you recommend for me, based on my needs?

I'm 5'7", 134 lbs, guard, slash, run and cut alot, on my toes, and I prefer a lower cut shoe. I know the Kobe IV is like a low/mid, about how high is the KD? Also, I don't buy shoes that often, so durability is key. I understand I can replace the insole of the Kobe IV with a custom one, but I'd rather not if I could.

Thanks again.

if you're gonna play indoors and NOT outdoors, and have shoes on rotation, kobe 4
otherwise, kd2.

I'll probably stick to indoors, maybe outdoors occasionally until the summer (ill play outdoors alot then), but I don't really have any kind of rotation.

if all you're playing in is the kobe 4's, i wouldn't be surprised if the lunar foam bottomed out on you. and the blacktop would wear them down with the quickness.

Dang. I was so stoked to try and play in those shoes, and see how good they really were. I guess the KD IIs will be good though. How is the cut on these? Is it as low as the kobe 4? I tried them on once but I didn't have enough time to take a good look at them.

i'm not saying you can't play in the 4's outdoors, they go for cheap now if you look around good enough. can even double up on them and that'll be your rotation.
i can't comment on the kd2 because i've yet to try my feet in them. they are appealing for the price but i'm not hurting for shoes to ball in. hopefully someone else can chime in and tell you what you want to know.

Go with the KD2... its a great shoe (A+ according to one respected reviewer out there) at an unbeatable price, and looks like its cushioning (Zoom forefoot + cushlon heel) will far outlast the Kobe IV (Lunarcrap forefoot, Zoom heel). My KD1's, which feature the same sole/cushioning as the 2s, are still going strong after almost a year whereas my buddy retired his Kobe IV's 4 months ago after the lunarcrap breakdown became unbearable.  I play indoor and outdoor with my KD1, and look forward to doing the same with the 2.

Plus, rest easy at night knowing that the KD2 is endorsed by a hardworking, all-around good guy on the upswing and not a broken down, arrogant d-bag on the downswing like any Kobe, hahahahahHHAHahahAa.

cbfpunch - thanks I managed to find the kobes for $90, but they were only in TB colors (purple), which wasn't my top choice. for that price I would have hoped to get a better color, so I'm just waiting on the kds to release in a color i like.

clkru - I plan to buy the KD II, as soon as theres a color i like. when are the ones with orange soles releasing? or the USAs? and kobe bryant is very hardworking!

thanks guys for the replies

you can try to scoop up the kobes for lower than 90 at any niketown if you're near one or even call them up.

I'd go with the Kobes.
They're lightweight, and it's easier to move around in them.
They don't last as long though, but I buy a new pair every summer season, so it doesn't affect me.

Originally Posted by clkru

Go with the KD2... its a great shoe (A+ according to one respected reviewer out there) at an unbeatable price, and looks like its cushioning (Zoom forefoot + cushlon heel) will far outlast the Kobe IV (Lunarcrap forefoot, Zoom heel). My KD1's, which feature the same sole/cushioning as the 2s, are still going strong after almost a year whereas my buddy retired his Kobe IV's 4 months ago after the lunarcrap breakdown became unbearable.  I play indoor and outdoor with my KD1, and look forward to doing the same with the 2.

Plus, rest easy at night knowing that the KD2 is endorsed by a hardworking, all-around good guy on the upswing and not a broken down, arrogant d-bag on the downswing like any Kobe, hahahahahHHAHahahAa.
It's funny how someone could hate on person who he/she doesn't even know in real life

It's funny how someone could hate on person who he/she doesn't even know in real life
I'm counting my blessings!  I can barely stomach watching him on TV, and couldn't imagine having to spend any amount of time with him in-person.

clkru - I plan to buy the KD II, as soon as theres a color i like. when are the ones with orange soles releasing? or the USAs? and kobe bryant is very hardworking!
Looks like there's some good colors coming out soon... don't know about the orange soled ones, but there are Lakers-like and Bulls-like colorways on the horizon.

Originally Posted by clkru

too bad any kobe shoe will blow out the KD2 out of the water... you fail.

Originally Posted by cbfpunch

you can try to scoop up the kobes for lower than 90 at any niketown if you're near one or even call them up.
I saw them for $70 at the niketown in new york, but they were only size 12. The one in boston doesn't even carry the shoe anymore, and neither do the outlets. The outlets in massachusetts were all out too!

KD II's! amazing performance! Super comfy, no break in period required imo and stable as anything out there...
This sounds dumb but I get a tiny increase in vert in these things because they are so light.
Not ZKV light but 13 oz's isn't bad. Its definitely not a low cut shoe, more of a mid.. I love em.

Go for the KD2, you play on your toes so KD2 is specifically made for that type of play plus the ZKIV are awful on the forefoot when the lunar foam has bottomed out(10 solid games max).

Im a huge basketball performance shoe fan. I had the Kobe IV's as part of my last rotation (including the Jordan Icons and Jordan 16.5's) The Kobe's are light, and have little break in time. It has good forefoot cushioning for the weight but the heel cushion is horrible. My second time playing in the Kobe's I got heel spurs coming down from a rebound, and was out for 2-3 weeks.

They are extremely light and comfortable but durability is not a key for the Kobe IV. If you only buy balling shoes once in a while and you play outside I would say go with the KD II. I actually had heard a bunch of great performance reviews on the KD II and wanted a pair, so once my rec league started and we wound up with orange jerseys I copped these

Played in them for the first time last night in an indoor league, they are a bit narrow for my foot but nothing uncomfortable just noticeable in the pinky area, but I double sock so once I did that I didnt feel it. They were comfortable right out of the box onto the court. They are a nice 5/8 cut so its not as high as a regular balling shoe but not as low as the Kobe, actually to me they were perfect height. The cushioning was great and I had absoulutely no foot pain after the game which after my first time playing in any non broken in shoe I have some sort of discomfort or pain, not with the KD II. They were light and airy. Id say if you were just copping one to last for a while get the KD II and for 69.99 for some of the colors thats a steal

hope this helps

Agree that KDII is much better. At least as good as ZKIV in virtually all areas, and better in cushioning, courtfeel, durability, and stability. Don't get me wrong ZKIV is a great shoe and I loved my two pairs until the cushioning gave out. But the KDII is really phenomenal. Only area where ZKIV has the edge is the lining of the upper, which is a little more plush (although KDII is by no means uncomfortable) for those who play in thin socks.

Stock up now since prices have dropped and availability is still good.

Back
Top Bottom