Kobe & LeBron: "We'd beat Magic and Bird two on two"

Originally Posted by THE GR8

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

Bird is clever with the basketball and his step-back jumper is un-blockable, but Kobe is in a class with Michael Jordan and Bruce Bowen when it comes to guarding people on the perimeter.

Are you kidding me. No doubt 2 great players, but there are far better defenders IMO. Has Kobe even been on an NBA Defensive 1st team?
indifferent.gif
at that opinion that just becuse players are phenominal they are actually perfect at every aspect of the game.

I'm not the one that said that or quoted that
laugh.gif
..... why you misquoting me for?
grin.gif
smh.gif
I personally think Bowen is an overrrated defender...

edit: never mind it was part of the article.....

Originally Posted by J0E HUSTLE

MJ and Scottie and Bird and Magic wouldn't stand a chance.
you can't be serious
smh.gif

you can't be serious
smh.gif
Neither Scottie or Michael have the physical attributes of LeBron or Kobe.

LeBron is stronger than Mike and quicker than Pip.

Kobe is more athletic than Pip but him and Mike are offensively par.

you can't be serious
smh.gif

laugh.gif

Yeap stayin out of this thread.

you can't be serious
smh.gif

I like the Romeo Crennel avy but you gotta stop.

The Gr8

First Team: 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007
Second Team: 2001, 2002

Kobe for better or worse is the NBA"s outside best defender when he has the energy to dedicate himself to it.

Holden got it correct however, Kobe being the only player under 6'8 240 posesses a major disadvantage. Although he is clearly the best defender in thisgroup im not sure he knows how to defend the post well enough to ensure a win.

Because these guys are in the NBA and make about 75% of the shots they take in non NBA situations one or 2 stops would be enough to wn the game. Magic and Birdcant stop Bron and Kobe twice. Can Lebron and Kobe do it?

At this stage of his career Lebron isnt mentally able to compete with Jordan and Pip. Yea sure he could score but because Jordan and Pip are as athletic (notas big) little mistakes become points.

You have to make Money defend thats the only way to win.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

MarleysProtege:
larry bird would probably get the ball and drain 15 straight shots and spit in lebrons eye afterwards
laugh.gif

How is it not common knowledge that the dude Bird was an extremely good shooter that didn't give a crap about your damn feelings?
roll.gif
Like, it wasn't even an arrogance, like 'Yeah, I'm the greatest in the world. My game is super-awesome.' But it WAS like 'So which one of you is going to be in second place today?' before beginning a 3-pt contest... that he won... while walking away as soon as he released his last shot... which didn't even TOUCH the rim on the way through the net.

Dude's acting like he was just a little better than Dirk or Ray Allen and a little more confident than Terrell Owens.

Larry Bird was the creator of "swag".
He used to tell the people that were gaurding him what move he would do, where he would shoot the ball, and they still couldn't stop him.
Some of NT needs to step their Basketball IQ up.

I think Kobe and LeBron would win.
Seriously LeBron is a physical speciman, I highly doubt there will be another player with his strength+speed+size
sick.gif
. If LeBron can develop a reliable J, he will become a top 5 player in thehistory of the NBA. We'll see in the future if he can pull down some rings, but LeBron is still only 23 and he has 12-15 more years of basketball left inhim.

LeBron doesn't have the basketball smarts to compete with Larry Legend and Magic though. Kobe would stand a chance in that department, but I don'tknow how well Kobe wpuld fare againts the taller Magic and Larry.

On offense however, Magic and Larry don't have the quickness to contain LeBron or Kobe. I think Kobe and LeBron would pull some stops on Larry and Magic,but I don't think Magic + Larry could contain them.

So, Kobe+LeBron in a close one, I'll say 15-13

you can't be serious
smh.gif

you're talking about two of the best on ball defenders ever in MJ & Pip.....

and what exactly do you mean by "physical attributes?"

like I said above, it's your opinion.... and I'm not here to argue... but I just find it laughable that you say they "wouldn't stand a chance" at all
laugh.gif

MJ and scottie would beat everybody cuz they are smarter,more athletic,fundamentally sound,and were teammates

and larry bird would shoot 85 percent from the field in a pick game scenario

just think about all the crazy shots he hit in nba games wit the games best defenders on him.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

There are good points going both ways, but here are some things to consider.

In a two on two pickup game played half-court, there is no way Lebron is dunking on anyone. Let me guard Lebron (6'2", 190), he will not dunk.I've played half court, two on two games for over twenty years against dudes 6'9", 270. Never been dunked on. A player, no matter howphysically-gifted, cannot jump over someone from the free throw line and dunk it. That is where you keep a dunker in a half-court game. It is all aboutposition. You know as a defender that if your man gets past a certain point on the court with the ball he will dunk. So do not let him get past that point, nodunk. This is where Bird/Magic have the advantage, cerebrally. They know that above the rim they are at a disadvantage, so they will not let the game getthere.

Bird could post Kobe all day. That shot is money. Bird can step out on Kobe all day. That shot is money.

Magic could post Lebron.

Kobe and Lebron do not have the post game that the legends do. That is a tremendous advantage in a half court game.

If Kobe/Lebron post what shot will they take? A fadeaway. An off balance shot that leaves you out of rebounding position. The legends will be taking shots witha solid base. Fundamental.

I really don't get why people are saying Kobe flying past Bird is the difference. The only time someone gets past you in a half-court game is when you gettoo close or reach for a steal. You act like Bird doesn't know he's slower. He will give Kobe a little distance so that he can take the angle away ifKobe attempts to drive. He will give up a couple of mid-range jumpers to Kobe because of this. Don't you think Bird would feel comfortable tradingjumpshots with Kobe? He would take those odds, bank on it.

Magic has played center and I believe that he has the reach on Lebron. That could have an effect down low. All the legends would have to do is back down intothe lane. They were the best at it.

Between these two teams which has the most competitive nature?

Originally Posted by rapsa

bird and magic will win!no one can match Magic and Bird's intensity and sheer determination

even with their "intensity" and "sheer determination" they will lose. Kobe is too quick and can pull up from anywhere. LeBron will justtruck right through both of them. he's too strong for em.

Originally Posted by soychulo

In a two on two pickup game played half-court, there is no way Lebron is dunking on anyone. Let me guard Lebron (6'2", 190), he will not dunk. I've played half court, two on two games for over twenty years against dudes 6'9", 270. Never been dunked on. A player, no matter how physically-gifted, cannot jump over someone from the free throw line and dunk it. That is where you keep a dunker in a half-court game. It is all about position. You know as a defender that if your man gets past a certain point on the court with the ball he will dunk. So do not let him get past that point, no dunk. This is where Bird/Magic have the advantage, cerebrally. They know that above the rim they are at a disadvantage, so they will not let the game get there.

Bird could post Kobe all day. That shot is money. Bird can step out on Kobe all day. That shot is money.

Magic could post Lebron.

Kobe and Lebron do not have the post game that the legends do. That is a tremendous advantage in a half court game.

If Kobe/Lebron post what shot will they take? A fadeaway. An off balance shot that leaves you out of rebounding position. The legends will be taking shots with a solid base. Fundamental.

I really don't get why people are saying Kobe flying past Bird is the difference. The only time someone gets past you in a half-court game is when you get too close or reach for a steal. You act like Bird doesn't know he's slower. He will give Kobe a little distance so that he can take the angle away if Kobe attempts to drive. He will give up a couple of mid-range jumpers to Kobe because of this. Don't you think Bird would feel comfortable trading jumpshots with Kobe? He would take those odds, bank on it.

Magic has played center and I believe that he has the reach on Lebron. That could have an effect down low. All the legends would have to do is back down into the lane. They were the best at it.

dude you can't be serious
laugh.gif

Let me guard Lebron (6'2", 190), he will not dunk.
[table][tr][td]
  • Damon Jones
  • Guard
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
act_damon_jones.jpg

[/td] [td][/td] [td]
[h3]Height: 6-3
Weight: 195 lbs.
[/h3]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

2 on 2 game, that can surely happen.

- Check/inbound to 24
- Eye contact to 23
- 23 fakes toward the top of the key
- 23 suddenly cuts back to the hoop
- alley-oop from 24
- poster on soychulo/Magic/Bird/whoever

I don't know how you guys are acting like what he said was so outlandish.

That dunk on Damon Jones was a fast break, where Jones never had a chance to put himself in position between the rim and the ball (LeBron). That's notreally comparable.

And any other dunks, like LeBron on Duncan... those aren't really comparable, either, because that's a 5-5 matchup, where people have theirassignments. If LeBron gets past the perimeter defender, his assignment is over, and now it's Duncan's assignment to try and stop him.

But in 2-2, you can play position defense way more effectively. All he's saying is that if you're quick enough and smart enough to stay active instaying between the ball and the rim, then... no dunks.

And he's right. I mean, I don't know if soychulo is quick enough or smart enough to play active 'position defense', but if he knows that he is,then his statement wasn't that outlandish at all.

Oh for sure, I understand what he's saying.

But what I'M saying is that even in 2 on 2 ball, position defense will get you so far. You still have to stay relatively close to your man.

soy (or Bird or Magic) is not gonna just leave Bron to take wide open shots no?

I just don't think position defense can always stop an alley-oop.

In a two on two pickup game played half-court, there is no way Lebron is dunking on anyone. Let me guard Lebron (6'2", 190), he will not dunk. I've played half court, two on two games for over twenty years against dudes 6'9", 270. Never been dunked on. A player, no matter how physically-gifted, cannot jump over someone from the free throw line and dunk it. That is where you keep a dunker in a half-court game. It is all about position. You know as a defender that if your man gets past a certain point on the court with the ball he will dunk. So do not let him get past that point, no dunk. This is where Bird/Magic have the advantage, cerebrally. They know that above the rim they are at a disadvantage, so they will not let the game get there.

Magic could post Lebron.

If Kobe/Lebron post what shot will they take? A fadeaway. An off balance shot that leaves you out of rebounding position. The legends will be taking shots with a solid base. Fundamental.

I really don't get why people are saying Kobe flying past Bird is the difference. The only time someone gets past you in a half-court game is when you get too close or reach for a steal. You act like Bird doesn't know he's slower. He will give Kobe a little distance so that he can take the angle away if Kobe attempts to drive. He will give up a couple of mid-range jumpers to Kobe because of this. Don't you think Bird would feel comfortable trading jumpshots with Kobe? He would take those odds, bank on it.

Magic has played center and I believe that he has the reach on Lebron. That could have an effect down low. All the legends would have to do is back down into the lane. They were the best at it.

Thank you. Some people in here think that the present day players are the alpha and omega of NBA history. Nobody seems to realize how smart Bird andMagic were, and thats not even getting into basketball attributes yet.

And I dont know what is so crazy about the 6'2 statement. If you play a halfcourt game against dunkers, they are limited in how they can get to the rim.They dont get that running start like they do on the fast break. Plus, with such weak defense these days in the NBA, you cant use the comparison that"they get to the rim in a halfcourt situation now a days, what stops it now". Here is the reason. In todays game, the team defense is always aboutsomeone else stepping up. Against these players, you RARELY see it. Only the top defensive teams in the league stops these guys like they can be stopped in ahalfcourt game. Why? Guys like the Spurs, believe in team D. They know how to play proper defense. They play their game like the NBA great teams, back inthe... you guessed it, 80's, where Magic and Bird played in this same system. They know what it takes to stop NBA's best players in a halfcourt game.They know how to force the opposing player to make decisions that they dont want to make. They give themselves a chance to recover the ball off a bad turnoveror shot, and turn that into instant offense.

In a halfcourt game, I will take Magic and Bird 110 times out of 100. They know how to play to their advantages. They know how to play to avoid theirweaknesses. We are talking about NBA greats here. They know the game better than damn near 99% of players that played, ever. They are in that elite class withJordan, Pip, Wilt, etc. Why? Because they know how to play to their strengths. They know the game back ways, front ways, side ways, down ways, all other ways.

Now, when its all said and done, Kobe and Lebron will be in that category along with these players. But as for right now, Magic and Bird win every time.

I am 35, the perfect age to have seen everyone that we are talking about in their primes.
The only problem I have with that statement is that Lebron has yet to reach his prime.
Who knows how good he will be.
The genral rule with discussions like this is, as time goes on, athletes become bigger, stronger, and faster.
Also, neither Bird nor Magic were known as all world defenders.
You saw what happened to Bird when he tried to guard Jordan in the playoffs when Mike went off for 63.
The only advantage Magic and Bird would have is their height advantage against Kobe.
My vote goes to Kobe and Bron, but the game will be close.

The only advantage Magic and Bird would have is their height advantage against Kobe.

nerd.gif
laugh.gif

they aren't better passers?
they aren't smarter ball players?
they can't see the floor as effectively?
they can't move without the ball better?

soy (or Bird or Magic) is not gonna just leave Bron to take wide open shots no?
You are correct. The one thing about position defense is that it does leave the door open for an occasional jumpshot. This is why I stated in mypost that Bird/Magic would be happy with the contest coming down to a jumpshooting contest between the two teams. There is no question that the legends wouldwin a matchup that most of the shots taken were midrange jumpers or beyond. Lebron can get COLD. Kobe is a streak shooter as well. Both of those playersstart games with the jumpers a little off. That wouldn't be the case with the legends. Those guys came out hitting. In a pickup game the young guyscan't afford to spot the legends a couple of early buckets.

2 on 2 game, that can surely happen.
Impossible. There will be no full head of steam to launch at the rim. In a full court fast break as a rule someone is out of position. Which iswhy the team with the ball is running, so that the defense can't get into position. In half-court, sets start with teams in defensive position, which iswhy it negates a lot of the advantages the young pros have.

The legends will admit what limitations they have and what strengths they have and will play accordingly, never deviating from the plan. That will be a hugedifference in the game. Lebron will without a doubt take a shot that is not in his true range or take some off-balance shot.

I learned this lesson the hard way. After dropping 50 a couple of times in a league I began talking some serious smack to our next opponent. I could postbigger guys and get around them with quickness or use a 36" vertical to get off the ground before they could react. (I'm one of those players thatcan get two hops to most guys one.) When on the perimeter anywhere within 30' was a legit shot. I've got the arms of a 6'6" guy and can palmwith either hand. Needless to say I felt invincible. When we played the next team they put a 6', 185 guy on me that was very athletic, but not verygifted in a basketball fundamentals. He was in my shorts the whole game. We only needed one uniform between us because he was that tight. I touched the ball3 times off plays because that's only time it made it to me. There was never a passing angle open. He wouldn't let them inbound it to me. If someoneon my team got an open lane to the basket, he would not leave me to help out. This guy shut me down. I couldn't score without the ball. It was veryhumbling and I've used that lesson to this day.
laugh.gif
After being deniedthe ball like that I know what it takes to shut a scorer down.

These old guys will stick to whatever strategy they think will win the game. The younger guys will take a few more gambles because they will depend onathleticism to make up the difference.

Back
Top Bottom