Kobe Trade Thread (vol. Save the Kittens and Puppies)

That's too bad because I really wouldn't mind seeing Kirk go.
TEAM BEN GORDON
"...he got changed over his change a block off Ashland

I just hope Bynum proves us all wrong before an acceptable trade offer comes. Either that or Lamar stays healthy and is consistently producing along with Fish to help Kobe. Kobe can't say $#!7 if the team is winning, but if they're not, we're rebuilding and I have some Kobe gear and kicks for sale! You can't expect decades of dominance with free agency now. Either way, I'm a Laker fan for life.

Not true,

Kobe woukd not veto this trade. He would be on a contender and a big city team

I doubt it's Odom & Bynum again. Didn't the Lakers veto that trade the first time JO was brought up?

I read Bynum was the main piece they were after now. So Bynum + Kwame/fillers/picks? If we can keep Odom, I wouldn't mind the trade.
TEAMLAKERS

Found this to be an interesting read, though I'm sure it won't sit well with many Kobe fans here:

Quote:
The Kobe conundrum: What's his real trade value?
Ford

By Chad Ford
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Insider

Updated: October 16, 2007

* Comment
* Email

When Kobe Bryant went public with his trade request this summer, the "Kobe sweepstakes" began, at least in the media.

What team wouldn't want the man often called the "best player in the league"?

Almost six months later, Bryant is still wearing the purple and gold of the Los Angeles Lakers, while teams such as the Dallas Mavericks and Chicago Bulls have shown an unwillingness to offer what the Lakers would consider fair value.

Why are teams reluctant to make their best offer for Kobe?

I spoke to a number of NBA sources who have been engaged in or are familiar with the Bryant trade negotiations this summer. Almost all evidence from these conversations points to this conclusion:

Bryant's trade value isn't nearly as high as he or the Lakers would like to think.

Here are four questions teams are trying to answer before acquiring Bryant:

Kobe Bryant

AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill

How much longer will Kobe fly?
1. Does Kobe have too much mileage?

Kobe is already 29 years old. When he turns 30 in August, he'll reach an age at which many players decline. It's the age at which Michael Jordan retired the first time -- and when MJ returned, he was still a great player, but no longer a high flyer.

It's not only the years that concern some teams, but also the minutes. Counting NBA regular-season and playoff games, Bryant has logged 33,576 minutes -- 918 games of about 37 minutes each, in just 11-plus seasons.

That's more "mileage" on his legs than on the legs of Ray Allen (age 32) or Allen Iverson (32). Kobe's contemporaries include Vince Carter (30) and Steve Francis (30), and he's played thousands more minutes than those two.

And about the same as Chris Webber (34). More than Alonzo Mourning (37). More than Sam Cassell (3 8)
glasses.gif
ers, the Lakers haven't won a playoff series since Shaq was traded away to Miami. Many, starting with Bryant himself, blame the "supporting cast." But, in fact, Kobe's teammates are better than generally believed, and he has a Hall of Fame coach in Phil Jackson.

It's worth noting that last season when the Lakers won at San Antonio in mid-January, they were 26-13, but their progress was eventually derailed by injuries.

The more central questions, according to some observers in the NBA, revolve around Bryant's approach to the game. His amazing determination, while certainly a key part of his success on the court, does not always translate into leadership or a winning attitude.

The best-selling book "Leadership and Self-Deception" explains that leaders try to develop people who are even more capable and creative than they are. They are constantly in the process of creating future leaders. They are more interested in results than credit.

Certainly Bryant wants to win. But he wants to win his way, according to many who have followed his career. And when you break it down, that translates to this attitude: I would rather lose my way than win your way.

Bryant wants to win, but he also wants the most shots. He wants to be a great hero, not a great teammate or leader. He wants the credit.

This Kobe character trait became most apparent when Shaq was traded to the Heat. While Bryant has denied that he asked the Lakers to trade Shaq, just about everyone in the league believes that Kobe wanted him traded because Kobe was tired of sharing the spotlight.

Bryant's play often resembles a solo act, and his criticism of his teammates along with his trade demands only reinforces the idea that Kobe has his own interests, not the interests of his teammates, foremost in his mind and actions.

Contrast Bryant with LeBron James for a moment. James goes out of his way to involve his teammates, and takes over only when needed, as when he scored 25 consecutive points against Detroit in the playoffs. He invests in his teammates, and they rewarded him with a trip to the NBA Finals.

If LeBron were to suddenly be available in a trade, does anyone believe that after six months the Cavs would still be waiting to receive a serious offer? Or 10 serious offers?

Kobe Bryant

Jeffrey Bottari/NBAE via Getty Images

It's hard to shrug off the fact that Kobe often criticizes his teammates.

I'm told the biggest reason why teams like the Bulls and Mavericks have been reluctant to offer their best players for Bryant is that they've carefully and successfully put together a cast of team players with a charismatic coach that tries to get everyone pulling in the same direction.

If one of those teams were to break up its core and bring in Bryant, would those parts add up to a championship? No matter how great Kobe is, can a team count on him to devote himself to the greater good?

No one knows, but it's easy to see why Mavs owner Mark Cuban and Bulls GM John Paxson would have reservations.

4. Is Kobe worth it?

Those three issues lead up to the ultimate question: Given all the complex considerations, does it make sense to acquire Kobe?

First of all, it's just not that easy to make a deal, especially during the season, when the roster rules make it more difficult to trade many players for one.

Second, Bryant makes a lot of money -- $19.4 million this season. Since teams over the salary cap are required to make deals that come within 25 percent and $100,000 in contractual obligations of each other, any team that trades for Kobe must part with at least $15 million worth of salaries to make a deal work. The Lakers want several young players to make the trade work. Trading away young, inexpensive talent is disruptive to a team at best and devastating at worst.

Third, such a trade would be a gamble, and NBA teams are generally risk-averse, as we saw at the last trade deadline. Most GMs prefer to stick with the status quo. Taking risks invites scrutiny from the media and fans, and tends to hasten a GM's dismissal, many feel. Doing nothing is simply safer.

Fourth, there is the straightforward question of talent: As great as Bryant is, can he replace the talent a team would have to give up? And if a team gives up too much to acquire Kobe, that team would be no more equipped to compete for a championship than the Lakers are, which would potentially start the cycle all over again, with Bryant's unhappiness dominating the team.

What can make a trade work?

Kobe could drop his no-trade clause (and promise to rescind his 15 percent trade kicker to make a trade work), which would theoretically allow for more teams to consider a deal.

Or the Lakers could drop their asking price, accepting a deal for cap relief and/or veterans that help them compete right away.

Or a team could get off to a slow start (such as Chicago's disappointing 0-3 start) and raise its offer.

But if the status quo holds, teams will have to look forward to the summer of 2009, when Bryant can opt out of his contract at the age of 31.

By then our eyes and hearts will likely have caught up with what the numbers and logic are already telling us: Kobe Bryant is a great player, but in a team sport like basketball he lacks the ability, on his own, to deliver an NBA championship.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.
"Sports Do Not Build Character, They Reveal It." - John Wooden
TEAM AM FAM

Kobe would be dumb to go to the Bulls with no Hinrich or Wallace.
"I'm so underground even commecial I can't be popped, I'm like Kobe in the zone I can't be stopped.."
-Corey Red

That would have be a good deal but I agree with thomas. I don't think kobe want to go anywhere but chi.

here's what gilbert had to say about the him for kobe rumors..

Quote:
For the last couple weeks people have been calling me saying, Are you coming back to L.A.?

Im like, Yeah, I am NOT.

Why would I be coming back to L.A.? Dont you know the season is getting ready to start?

And theyre like, No, theyre talking about you and Kobe getting traded for each other.

And Im like, Oh, thats whats up. Sounds nice NOT.

Nothing against getting traded, but that would be a dumb thing on the part of the team who is accepting me because, dont they know Im a free agent? What that means is, if you lose somebody who you really want and you come get me back and I leave too TA-DAH! That means you have nothing.

So take my name out of it because whoever gets me, there aint a guarantee that Im staying.

Yall go ahead and take my name out. To all of my friends back home who want me to become a Laker: If you have NBA LIVE 08 you can fantasy draft me, because otherwise I dont think thats happening any time soon.

and one of his reasons why not..

Quote:
Personally, I really dont mean to be selfish about the whole trade thing, but personally I hope Kobe stays on the West because if he comes here, that takes away from me and All-Star appearances.

That really does.

We already got rid of A.I. from the Eastern Conference and sent him to the West, so now its me and Dwyane Wade at the starting guards. If Kobe comes, who does that hurt? Come on Commissioner Stern, please? Whatever deal has Kobe coming East, just say, No thank you. Keep him on the West for me. I mean Im an All-Star starter now, getting voted in by the fans. If you look at Kobes votes, he is leading the league in votes. That only hurts me if he comes here. Come on Kobe, I understand you want to come East but go ahead and stay on the West. Look out for your No. 1 fan.

..with so much personality,
what do you want from me?
i could be by myself and enjoy the company..
but i'd ratherher

Nah, I don't see Kobe going to NYK without giving up most of their team, in which case, Kobe would reject.

I don't care about Kobe's trading anymore, I'll care when he gets traded.
DALLAS MAVERICKS
Charging into the Playoffs​
Ager, Barea, Buckner, Croshere, Dampier, Diop, George, Harris, Howard, Ilunga-Mbenga, Mensah-Bonsu, Nowitzki, Stackhouse, Terry​

If Chicago gets Kobe for the Bulls and A-Rod for the Cubs... The only person left getting paid in Chicago is DonJuan513.
Team McLovin​
Chica Chica Yeaah​

Bucher is the same cat who said Kobe will never ever play for the Lakers again :lol:
laugh.gif
Team Dodgers 4 Life
RAIDER NATION

You're foolish if you don't think there wasn't an agreement with Shaq before the Divac trade
Hate it or love it...The UNDERDOG'S on top​

The Bulls better come through...im tired of Ben Gordons "off" and "on" nights. Im tired of Kurts hacking defense.....and im tired of Ben Wallace manuvering around like hes playing in 6" timbs....
You're only a leader if you can get a leader to follow you

EZ$

As long as the Kings get either Hinrich & Tyrus or Hinrich & Gordon or Hinrich & 1st then i'm all for it...

Yeah....Bynum has to go....

Bynum, Kwame, and Farmar and a pick for J.O.
Team Dodgers 4 Life
RAIDER NATION

I wouldn't put much stock in those Cuban quotes from last night...That's from an interview during the game. What is he supposed to say? Can't imagine him going on national TV during his team's game and saying they're actively persuing him...I still firmly believe if the Lakers came and said they'd take Devin/Josh/filler, Cubes would pull the string in a heartbeat...

Still don't understand why people think that package is inferior to the BG/Tyrus/Noah being thrown around by the Bulls...Or even the Artest/BigBen crap that was rumored last night.
TEAMCOWBOYS
Winning is the only option...

Quote:
The world would go nuts if that happened, but I don't see a straight up trade happening for King James, but he is one of the few people that would keep Laker fans happy if Kobe were to leave.
TEAM KOBE Member #1

^ Thanks for posting that! Tough honest truth...though I don't agree with his vague assessment that the Lakers supporting cast is more talented than given credit. They're not.

I just don't see a trade happening. Chicago was it, and unless they continue their early season struggle, they might make a deal but still won't want to let go of Luol.
DON'T PUT UP NO BRICK​
The B.O.P.​

Back
Top Bottom