Korean couple addicted to virtual life let real-life baby starve to death

[h1]Couple nurture their virtual child... and let their real baby daughter starve to death
[/h1]
By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 3:42 PM on 04th March 2010

A computer-addicted couple let their real life baby starve to death while they raised a virtual daughter online, police said today.

The couple spent 12 hours a night at internet cafes while their three-month-old daughter
smh.gif
 was left home alone at their apartment in Suwon, South Korea. They were arrested today.

Police said they had become hooked on living online and were raising an avatar daughter through their profiles on a Second Life-style game called PRIUS.

The multi-role playing game allows users to choose a job, interact with others in the virtual world and earn an extra avatar to nurture once they reach a certain level.

article-1255455-00585AAA00000258-865_468x286.jpg

Popular: South Koreans play online at a computer cafe in Seoul. The country is reeling after a couple were arrested for allowing their baby daughter to starve to death after spending 12 hours in a similar cafe

Father Kim Yoo-chul, 41, and mother Choi Mi-sun, 25, called police when they returned from one overnight, 12-hour session and found their daughter dead.

'They called in last September to report that they found their daughter dead after coming back home in the morning,' Detective Chung Jin-Won of the Suwon Seobu Police Station said.

'They had spent 12 hours, all night at a PC bang (a Korean internet café)'.

Officers became suspicious of how severely dehydrated the child was and have charged the couple with child abuse and neglect.

An autopsy confirmed she died of malnourishment.

Police said the Kims had become so obsessed with the daughter they were raising online that they appeared to have not taken their responsibility to their real daughter seriously.

The couple confessed they had fed the child rotten powdered milk and often spanked her,

Worried about their addiction to the games, Kim's parents had been taking care of the baby - but, tragically, had returned her to her mother and father just two weeks before she died.

The couple met in 2008 on an internet chat site, it was claimed.

Online games are massively popular in South Korea, with professional gamers becoming celebrities through live televised tournaments.

But critics say the popularity, which also nets huge profits for tech companies, comes at a steep price, with ever more bizarre incidents hitting the headlines.

A 28-year-old man dropped dead recently after playing his favourite game Starcraft for 50 hours non-stop without eating and drinking.

In another incident, a gamer, enraged that an opponent had killed the character he had put so much effort into creating, quickly found out his adversary's location through a chat built into the game, took a taxi across town and stabbed him.

Read more: [url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1255455/Couple-nurture-virtual-child--let-real-daughter-starve-death.html#ixzz0hE82Hfx6]http://www.dailymail.co.u...death.html#ixzz0hE82Hfx6[/url]

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

In another incident, a gamer, enraged that an opponent had killed the character he had put so much effort into creating, quickly found out his adversary's location through a chat built into the game, took a taxi across town and stabbed him.
I know it's a sad story but I couldn't help focusing on this line
laugh.gif
. I'm assuming dude just couldn't respawn and get him back in game? He really took e-thugging to it's highest level.

smh.gif
Thats why I gave video games up.

laugh.gif
@ that last part

Sad about the baby, though. I mean, I love videos games too, but it's not that serious...

thats horrible, people out there are mad hooked on online games, worlds, etc
but that slap. thats straight ******ed. smh

Originally Posted by NoReasonableDoubt

Dang, that's sad. I'm going to slap the hell out of my Korean roommate tonight.

roll.gif

But how do you leave a three month alone for any reason??  Crazy.

A 28-year-old man dropped dead recently after playing his favourite game Starcraft for 50 hours non-stop without eating and drinking.

I mean I knew Starcraft was that serious over there. But not THAT serious.
smh.gif
smh.gif

smh.gif
at the parents as well.

Originally Posted by Marv Machamp

smh.gif
I feel that way when I play Madden and lose
mad.gif
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Police said they had become hooked on living online and were raising an avatar daughter through their profiles on a Second Life-style game called PRIUS.
Toyota stay takin L's.

Originally Posted by J23S

smh.gif
I feel that way when I play Madden and lose
mad.gif
mad.gif
laugh.gif

You guys ever see the Madden challenge show where they pick video gamers from accross the US and they travel on this Madden Bus and play against each other for a chance to win 100g's? They meet their favorite NFL player and play a game with them too. The mad !@*# they talk to each other in the tournament is ridiculous, like yelling right in your face!! I would've thought somebody would've been stabbed or at least punched by now. Players are just straight up yelling and then c-walking the next second after they win...100g's is a good reason to get stabbed though.

Originally Posted by J23S

smh.gif
I feel that way when I play Madden I'm beating somebody for 3 and half quarters in Madden and all of a sudden some dumb $**(#%(*(^# happens and lose
mad.gif
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by pdoggy85

Toyota stay takin L's.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom