L.A. Riots 25 Years Later vol. 5 Docs in 11 Days

That doesn't warrant "burning down" the section of town comprised of people that share the ethnicity of the shooter. Do you know what a slippery slope is?

That doesn't warrant "burning down" the section of town comprised of people that share the ethnicity of the shooter. Do you know what a slippery slope is?

Black people been dealing with guilty by association forever, we know to well how slippery that slope is.

Violence provokes violence. All these roits have been a response to an act of racist violence.

Black people been dealing with guilty by association forever, we know to well how slippery that slope is.

Violence provokes violence. All these roits have been a response to an act of racist violence.
No kidding. You're not telling me anything I don't already know. It still doesn't justify burning down salons and bodegas. Go for police stations and courthouses. Or better yet, thee police officers and thee jury.

Last edited:

No kidding. You're not telling me anything I don't already know. It still doesn't justify burning down salons and bodegas. Go for police stations and courthouses.

The police was protecting that **** and the white neighborhoods. They allowed the madness to go on in certain areas.

I love the hypocrisy of ppl saying beating Denny/the trick driver was wrong and saying those who did it were wrong and should go to prison while completely ignoring what sparked it.

LOL @ "the Korean store owner feared for her life". Can't be serious with that one champ. Folks still trying to justify the MURDER of Latasha Harlins.

Last edited:
Latasha Harlins was murdered, the owner was convinced of manslaughter and the jury recommend a sentence of 16 years and the judge gave her probation for like 4 or 5.

It was a slap in the face to the black community, period. It was just like the Peter Liang situation in that you had people in the Korean community wanting understanding, claiming to be in the struggle too, but at the same time asking for justice not to be served.

And it was not only black folk looting. **** popped off and people of all shades started heisting

Last edited:
I still remember Tupac,

"...so what's a black life worth? A bottle of juice is no excuse, the truth hurts"

That Korean liquor store lady should feel horrible all these years knowing what she did was wrong.

Latasha Harlins was murdered, the owner was convinced of manslaughter and the jury recommend a sentence of 16 years and the judge gave her probation for like 4 or 5.

It was a slap in the face to the black community, period. It was just like the Peter Liang situation in that you had people in the Korean community wanting understanding, claiming to be in the struggle too, but at the same time asking for justice not to be served.

And it was not only black folk looting. **** popped off and people of all shades started heisting
Yes, I agree, it was murder. Yes I agree, a probation sentence is wrong.

It definitely was not only black folk looting. There are numerous interviews of those very Korean owners where they specified and telling the media - the looting - was not black people only. 

"The lady was getting rocked and likely feared for her life. We can't know the inner thoughts of a person, but its also important to look at the incident in it's entirety. It's sad and tragic anyway you look at it though."

To clarify, in no way shape or form was I trying to marginalize her death or justify the killing. That kind of reasoning was heard quite a bit from those defending the officers in the King beating. What I'm saying about the Harlins situation is, just like every other aspect of the riots, we can't just look at one slice of it. As I said, anyway you look at it, it's tragic.

Peter Liang isn't Korean and a completely different discussion on its own.
LOL @ "the Korean store owner feared for her life". Can't be serious with that one champ. Folks still trying to justify the MURDER of Latasha Harlins.
I hope you read the entire post and didn't just stop there. I'm 100% not trying to justify the murder. I am not implying Du had reasonable cause to shoot her.

But you quoting just that one part of the sentence, is exactly what I'm trying to say we can't do when talking about the riots.

During and following the riots (and even to this day as seen by the first post I quoted) many said: Koreans "deserved" this because ___

Just take that statement and replace the Koreans with any other individual or group and fill in that blank.

Koreans felt - disregarded and left to be burned down and looted. 

Koreans and Asians face our own struggle and racism. Our struggle is obviously unique to us, just as it is for other people. That's not what this thread is about though.

Just like Latasha, King, Felipe Lopez, Denny and the countless other "nameless" victims, Koreans until recently had very little voice and the narrative has been tinged with a sentiment of "you deserved" it. That's flat out wrong and hopefully by hearing our perspective people will realize.

I brought up Peter Liang because is Asian, and members of the Chinese American community where making the similar BS excuses for Liang as members of the Korean community made for Du. The disregarding of the jury recommendations was further insult to the injury.

Ad how about to take as much offense to the person that said "We held it down" which was referring to the store owners indiscriminately shooting at people to "protect their property" and because they felt threaten. The exact sort of thinking result in a black child getting killed. You don't see how someone would take offense to such a comment?

You're half stepping with this "I'm not excusing, I'm just saying we don't know the inner thoughts..." steez.

So how about you start practicing some real empathy before you start demanding it from others

Last edited:
@rustyshackleford

Along the way here I feel like this is back and forth could easily breakdown into plain arguing and a shouting match. Lets not do that. Each of us has a pov and we probably will agree to disagree and quite a few points.
Just because we are coming from different perspectives doesnt mean we need to fight, right?

Im confused though about you saying im half stepping.

Ill state my opinion again. Latasha murder was terrible and tragic.

What I meant by not knowing Du's thoughts was we dont know if its heat of the moment, fear, or just blind hatred and racism.

There had been a string of robberies and murders of korean liquor store owners, in some cases their young children. But latasha getting shot Same, tragic and despicable.

That said, people saying Koreans deserved to be destroyed looted and killed is just as wrong to me. I dont understand or empathize with that.
The rage and pain the community felt wasnt just Du or koreans though. Koreans knew and empathized with that.
My point, all of us were the victims and losers during the riots.

white kid wouldn't have caused fear.

She was killed because she was black. Period.

The tension of the verdict lit the fire...Tasha's murder through gas on it.

I lived in and participated in the shenanigans.

You have to understand that we grew up with asians owning everything in our community...the hate was there but you gonna loot what's there...just happened that most the stores were Korean owned

white kid wouldn't have caused fear.

She was killed because she was black. Period.

The tension of the verdict lit the fire...Tasha's murder through gas on it.

I lived in and participated in the shenanigans.

You have to understand that we grew up with asians owning everything in our community...the hate was there but you gonna loot what's there...just happened that most the stores were Korean owned
How have you felt about the way the riots have been covered during this anniversary? Accurate or are they leaving important things out?

its been good.

They left out latasha from the jump so now it lends context to why we erupted.

They should let everyone know that most of the areas affected are now gentrified or in the middle of gentrification.

As much as USC does for the community....they should run a story on entitled students who feel that the community needs to conform to their standards and not the other way around.

I'm sick of their students claiming it's a dangerous neighborhood. They didn't grow up in this **** hole when it was dangerous. When Dead End Harpys controlled west Adams and USC. When literally bloods controlled a south bound part of a street and Eses the north bound.

Now there's Csc staff and police cameras on our blocks because students live in our community.

Wasn't no cameras when kids were being shot down on Halloween or any given day of the week.

They should hit up Fedco and ask why the riots ended their business. Fedco was the ****. I miss that store.

Back
Top Bottom