**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

At first, you wouldn’t think that’s the case, as the two moves I’m talking about took players off the trade market. The first was the Lakers’ trade for Rui Hachimura; the second was Indiana’s renegotiation-and-extension with Myles Turner.

The Lakers’ Hachimura deal at first seemed to signify the opposite, that this would be an incredibly quiet deadline. That’s the best they can do, a backup four for three second-round picks?

In reality, it likely signals continued activity on the Lakers’ part. Consider their upcoming cap situation. It’s best looked at not as a move for 2022-23 but as the first move of 2023 free agency; Hachimura will be a restricted free agent after the season, and the Lakers will have his Bird rights and the ability to match any deal.

That matters greatly if a team is over the cap, which the Lakers do not project to be at the moment. Emphasis on “at the moment.” Because this deal could easily yield an offseason in which the Lakers operate as an over-the-cap team rather than relying on the Kyrie-or-bust approach that the cap-room scenario likely presents for them this summer. (The Lakers can get up to about $32 million in cap room, although their roster would only have four players at that point.)

The Lakers could pretty easily pivot and add another player via trade now, especially one who is under contract for next season. L.A. could match salary swapping Patrick Beverley’s expiring $13 million contract and perhaps one or two other small deals. (May I interest you in a lightly used Damian Jones?) It could then sweeten the pot with a future first to bring back a shooter who makes in the $15 million to $20 million range, such as anyone with the last name Bogdanović. (I’d also keep an eye on Gary Trent Jr. The fit here is too perfect.)

Such an approach could leave the Lakers in position to re-sign Russell Westbrook and Austin Reaves in the summer of 2023 while still using their full non-taxpayer midlevel exception and biannual exception to add to a roster that is woefully short on quality depth.

(One wrinkle, noted by cap expert Eric Pincus: Trading the second-round pick in 2029 in the Hachimura deal could handcuff the Lakers on trading a protected first that year, at least until July 1. Normally, protected firsts convert to either a second or two seconds if not conveyed; that can no longer happen with the 2029 pick. Owing seconds in 2028 and 2029 could also hamper them in setting protection language on a trade of the 2027 first-round pick.)

The Lakers could even do a second, smaller Hachimura-style deal if they really wanted; L.A. still has four future second-round picks at its disposal and several fungible minimum contracts it could aggregate for a seven-figure returning salary.

I don’t have any inside information that this is the plan; I’m just saying teams tell you a lot more about their intentions with their actions rather than with their news conferences, and this approach becomes a lot more plausible after the Hachimura trade. Whatever you think of Hachimura’s game, the Lakers had a glaring lack of quality in the 6-foot-7 to 6-foot-9 range aside from LeBron James, and finding big forwards on the free-agent market has historically been both difficult and expensive.

At first, you wouldn’t think that’s the case, as the two moves I’m talking about took players off the trade market. The first was the Lakers’ trade for Rui Hachimura; the second was Indiana’s renegotiation-and-extension with Myles Turner.

The Lakers’ Hachimura deal at first seemed to signify the opposite, that this would be an incredibly quiet deadline. That’s the best they can do, a backup four for three second-round picks?

In reality, it likely signals continued activity on the Lakers’ part. Consider their upcoming cap situation. It’s best looked at not as a move for 2022-23 but as the first move of 2023 free agency; Hachimura will be a restricted free agent after the season, and the Lakers will have his Bird rights and the ability to match any deal.

That matters greatly if a team is over the cap, which the Lakers do not project to be at the moment. Emphasis on “at the moment.” Because this deal could easily yield an offseason in which the Lakers operate as an over-the-cap team rather than relying on the Kyrie-or-bust approach that the cap-room scenario likely presents for them this summer. (The Lakers can get up to about $32 million in cap room, although their roster would only have four players at that point.)

The Lakers could pretty easily pivot and add another player via trade now, especially one who is under contract for next season. L.A. could match salary swapping Patrick Beverley’s expiring $13 million contract and perhaps one or two other small deals. (May I interest you in a lightly used Damian Jones?) It could then sweeten the pot with a future first to bring back a shooter who makes in the $15 million to $20 million range, such as anyone with the last name Bogdanović. (I’d also keep an eye on Gary Trent Jr. The fit here is too perfect.)

Such an approach could leave the Lakers in position to re-sign Russell Westbrook and Austin Reaves in the summer of 2023 while still using their full non-taxpayer midlevel exception and biannual exception to add to a roster that is woefully short on quality depth.

(One wrinkle, noted by cap expert Eric Pincus: Trading the second-round pick in 2029 in the Hachimura deal could handcuff the Lakers on trading a protected first that year, at least until July 1. Normally, protected firsts convert to either a second or two seconds if not conveyed; that can no longer happen with the 2029 pick. Owing seconds in 2028 and 2029 could also hamper them in setting protection language on a trade of the 2027 first-round pick.)

The Lakers could even do a second, smaller Hachimura-style deal if they really wanted; L.A. still has four future second-round picks at its disposal and several fungible minimum contracts it could aggregate for a seven-figure returning salary.

I don’t have any inside information that this is the plan; I’m just saying teams tell you a lot more about their intentions with their actions rather than with their news conferences, and this approach becomes a lot more plausible after the Hachimura trade. Whatever you think of Hachimura’s game, the Lakers had a glaring lack of quality in the 6-foot-7 to 6-foot-9 range aside from LeBron James, and finding big forwards on the free-agent market has historically been both difficult and expensive.

Gary Trent Jr is too small IMO.

If the blazers can't get an extension with Grant, we need to do what we can to get him.

If trading Russ means we can stop with all the just have fun nonsense posts, please make it happen.....

AEAE037F-8390-4963-AEA2-7E58E9241364.jpeg

Rui trade was encouraging. Signaled that they aren't done making moves and aren't planning on tanking. If they're going to proceed to build around AD, it would make sense to invest in someone like Myles as a contingency when AD misses 15-20 games. The way Pelinka has been talking all year almost made it sound like he wanted the security of that extension before unloading a 1st rounder

Rui trade was encouraging. Signaled that they aren't done making moves and aren't planning on tanking. If they're going to proceed to build around AD, it would make sense to invest in someone like Myles as a contingency when AD misses 15-20 games. The way Pelinka has been talking all year almost made it sound like he wanted the security of that extension before unloading a 1st rounder

I thought about that...and Myles's deal is kinda team friendly.

I think another move is happening.

pacers got a " handshake" deal with myles
the pacers get a FRP and myles gets some extra money this year and a guarantee they trade him

:emoji_fish:

So with DS, AR, Lonnie, Russ and Bev…..something’s gotta give

That’s a logjam. Players can’t be productive in 10 minutes. Need to be able to give consistent chunks of playing time so they have rhythm.

Unless you decide to bench Beverly when AR comes back, but I don’t see that happening

If another move is coming Bev has to be involved. 50/50 on moving Russ, that's just a much harder deal to facilitate.

You have the article?

First, the mea culpa.

I was wrong about Myles Turner and his future with the Indiana Pacers.

On several occasions — more than I’d like to recall, honestly — I wrote there was no way Turner, a free-agent-to-be at season’s end, would sign to remain with the Pacers and would instead be dealt elsewhere by the Feb. 9 NBA trade deadline. This was an opinion borne of speaking with sources who knew the situation, and it was strengthened by the fact that Turner went on a national podcast and basically made the case for the Lakers to make a much-rumored trade for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Well.

Things changed.

Was I wrong? In the long term, any way you slice it, I was wrong. Basically, the polar opposite of right. It’s hard to be much more incorrect.

But I’d also suggest that circumstances changed along the way. If that’s a weak-kneed cop-out, so be it.

Let me say this: The renegotiation-and-extension, a rarely used gambit that hasn’t been utilized since Robert Covington in 2017, is going to provide a sweet financial deal for Turner. He will get more in the next two-plus years than he likely would have as a free agent. By adding $17 million to this year’s salary — it’s money the Pacers had to spend to reach the league’s salary floor — they turned this season into a $35 million payday. Next year, he’ll make $20.9 million, then $19.9 million in 2024-25.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER

Myles Turner's unusual deal could be a win-win for him and Pacers

He could have received a longer-term deal as a free agent, but consider this: In 2025, when he’s still in his prime at age 28, the NBA will sign a new national TV deal. That will surely mean more money in the system and a higher cap, and if Turner is still healthy and playing at this level or higher, he will benefit when his free-agent payday comes along.

It also protects the Pacers in some ways. First, they can still trade him at or before the deadline — he’s far more attractive with a new contract than he would have been as a rental — but that’s not how the Pacers are viewing this deal. They want to keep him, at least through this season.

What happens next season and beyond is anybody’s guess, but Turner largely controls his future. If he continues to play at a career-high level, where he’s been freed up to play the full-time five with Domantas Sabonis having been traded, he can dig even deeper roots into Indianapolis. Thus far he’s been a perfect piece for Indiana, and he has taken full advantage of playing with this unselfish, new team and specifically Tyrese Haliburton. This is the most fun the Pacers have had playing the game in too many years. Last year was a drudgery, much like the years that came before. This year has been a joy.

ADVERTISEMENT

I didn’t see it coming. I’m not sure how many people in the league did.

This is the same organization that was ready to punt Turner when signing Deandre Ayton to an offer sheet this summer. This all seemed to be heading in one direction, especially with the Pacers looking at the long term and a chance to make the lottery in a strong, deep draft.

Again, things changed.

Turner got a chance to show what he could do without Sabonis, and he has excelled. (Sabonis has been incredible, for what it’s worth, but that’s no big surprise.) More than that, the Indiana market has fallen for these Pacers, the sub.-.500 record notwithstanding, and Turner has noticed, often singing the fans’ praises in his postgame comments. There is a very different feeling around this organization and town; who wouldn’t want to be part of it?

And you can never overstate the importance of Haliburton’s pass-happy approach when it has come to keeping Turner engaged. How often in past years did we see Turner stuck in the corner, disengaged from the play, waiting for someone to break down the defense and find him for an open 3? Now he’s all over the floor, consistently diving to the basket and making plays, often in concert with Haliburton. When Haliburton came here, general manager Kevin Pritchard talked about him as being something of a pied piper, and that’s what has happened. The hope is the Pacers, who will have between $30 million and $50 million in cap space, can sign a solid free agent this offseason. A power forward would make a whole lot of sense. So much for the slow rebuild.

It’s a win-win, almost any way you slice it (unless you wrote that it wasn’t going to happen and you’re wiping the egg off your face). The Pacers keep a fine player, maintain cap flexibility and can proceed while knowing that if Turner loses his edge — doubtful but possible — they can trade him at their convenience.

ADVERTISEMENT

So, what do the Pacers do at the deadline? They probably don’t know just yet. The sense is they want to get Haliburton back on the floor and see how the team plays. Haliburton is the straw that stirs the drink; he becomes early-extension-eligible at season’s end, and you have to think the Pacers will pay whatever it takes. They’ve lost nine of 10 since his injury, so yeah, he’s going to demand a lot of cash and deserves every penny.

This also changes the narrative that top players don’t want to stay in Indianapolis — at least for the time being. Paul George wanted out and got his wish. Victor Oladipo, the same. And Sabonis asked for a change of address, ultimately getting traded for Haliburton and Buddy Hield in a move that helped both teams.

For years, fans in Indy have run hot and cold on Turner, and for good reason: His game ran hot and cold. Some fans viewed him as someone who could blossom without Sabonis cramping his style. Others looked at his height and athleticism and wondered how he could be such an unproductive rebounder and have so little to offer around the rim offensively. (Nobody questioned his defense or shot-blocking ability.)

This weekend’s signing will not only bring an end to the years of trade rumors (at least for now), but it will also strengthen the bond between Turner, the team’s longest-tenured player, and the city of Indianapolis. The next time the Pacers play at home, against the Lakers (of all teams) on Thursday, Turner will receive a massive ovation.

So …

I was wrong.

Kind of glad about it, honestly.

(Photo: Trevor Ruszkowski / USA Today)

So with DS, AR, Lonnie, Russ and Bev…..something’s gotta give

That’s a logjam. Players can’t be productive in 10 minutes. Need to be able to give consistent chunks of playing time so they have rhythm.

Unless you decide to bench Beverly when AR comes back, but I don’t see that happening
Russ gotta get gone at this point.

Even though I still don't trust Lonnie's jumper, his ability to finish around the and get easy transition buckets rim is much needed.

Bev been playing better, but we could live without him.

Back
Top Bottom