Lance Armstrong dropped from Nike

Nike tells us they're going to continue with the LIVESTRONG product line. We just posted a first look at Nike SUMMER 2013 Livestrong shoes: http://counterkicks.com/2012/10/exc...ong-shoes-for-the-lance-armstrong-foundation/

Includes alternate colorways of Air Max 95 Dynamic Flywire:

And the new Air Max 2013:

Signature black and yellow kicks are in the mix too: http://counterkicks.com/2012/10/exc...ong-shoes-for-the-lance-armstrong-foundation/

I am reminded of Ted Bundys words: Its only cheating if you get caught. Thats the way the business rolls.

So according to this Fast Company story, we'll be getting Nike Livestrong product well past that Summer 2013 product look above. Lance and Livestrong have separate contracts. The Livestrong licensing still has two years left on it:

Around 10 o’clock last night, while Ulman was home watching the presidential debate, a Nike executive called with another bombshell. “It was very matter of fact,” says Ulman. Nike told him it was ending its contract with Armstrong but that it remains committed to Livestrong. Nike has separate contracts with the foundation and its founder. Livestrong has two years remaining on its contact with the company, which sells a line of Livestrong apparel. The timing of Armstrong's resignation and Nike's termination, says Ulman, was coincidental. The two decisions weren't related. A Nike spokesman I contacted later agreed.​

He is definitely a cheater, but I'm not going to demonize Lance as a human being. Ben Rapistberger has done way worse things to humanity.

I think everyone knew he was Doping with EPO (Egar Allen Poe) Drug since like 06. Nike was just biding there time

He is definitely a cheater, but I'm not going to demonize Lance as a human being. Ben Rapistberger has done way worse things to humanity.

So can't they both be criticized for their actions or, as you put it, demonized?

I never understood that excuse...well, this person B is worse, give person A a break.

An entirely more apt comparison is Barry Bonds. Dudes wanted his head, and to this day nobody has found him guilty of actual steroid use.

Yet people want to say "Let's not demonize Armstrong" and "everyone else was doing it!" 
laugh.gif
Okay

Because this is one of those situations where, yes, Armstrong has deceived fans and let everyone down. Cancer patients and survivors who idolized him must be feeling the most betrayed. However, he didn't physically harm anyone. He only did harm to himself. Yes, he has zero integrity, but the media demonizes dopers way more than they do to athletes who have actually harmed other human beings.

People aren't calling for Roethlisberger's head, even though he most likely raped two women. Hell, Ray Lewis may have killed a guy with a knife.

Last edited:
I do believe they had to drop him, but I will never discredit him for everything he has done for cancer research.

At the end of the day it does suck to lose your titles, your contracts, but tainting such incredible work is disappointing.

Armstrong is stepping down as the head of Livestrong. I think Nike saw the writing on the wall and have been quietly moving away from Lance being the face of the organization, hence Livestrong products that aren't yellow based.
At this point, I believe that Livestrong can live without Lance.

How does that work when most Livestrong products are yellow based?

Nike paying people off doesn't surprise me. It is said that they paid off Green Peace in order to keep them off their tails a few years back, after it was found that their original formula for the air being used in their air bags, was contributing to the ozone levels, and Nike was forced to discontinue the usage of that gas.

In regard to cycling, everybody was using. It was like bodybuilding, especially back when Arnold Shwarzenegger was doing his thing. Arnold was simply getting the better stuff than everyone else was at the time, and I suspect that Lance Armstrong probably had the same advantage.

Nike is going to do what is needed to do in order sell their product, and then make profit. Initially, they wanted nothing to do with Lance Armstrong's LIVESTRONG charity, outright rejecting it. But once they saw the publicity that could be gained through selling those little rubber bands, Nike was all in. I am not surprised that they've distanced themselves from Armstrong, then wondered why it didn't happen sooner. But just like with Penn State and Joe Paterno, with Phil Knight making his speech supporting Paterno, then coming back around through a press release to say that Paterno made some mistakes, then removing his name from a child care center, a release that sounds eerily similar to those made about Armstrong, it's obvious that Nike will only take a stand when it's convenient.

They've said nothing about the kids being harmed over their shoes. What they continue to do is to raise prices on plastic calling it innovation while making them limited, then marketing them toward a specific demographic.

If Nike is so worried about the integrity of sport and people who cheat, how about leading by example?

Last edited:
that must be why all of his crap is at the outlet...too bad nike didnt take a stand and burn that stuff rather than make a stand publicly and still make a buck in the background.
i thought all Livestrong profit went straight to cancer research

So can't they both be criticized for their actions or, as you put it, demonized?

I never understood that excuse...well, this person B is worse, give person A a break.
cant be srs, different crimes have different punishments first off, but if you're just talkin about criticism, then i agree with you

I applaud Nike for continuing to support the cause. I'm sure Armstrong won't be miss the money and is satisfied that they at least are continuing the line.

i hope the mr cartoon air force 1's from 2009 drop in resale price because of the juice

i missed out back then when i took a sneaker break

I applaud Nike for continuing to support the cause. I'm sure Armstrong won't be miss the money and is satisfied that they at least are continuing the line.

i'm sure all he gives a damn about is the money

with everything falling apart around him im sure the "cause" is the last thing on his mind

Last edited:

cant be srs, different crimes have different punishments first off, but if you're just talkin about criticism, then i agree with you

He said demonize which has nothing to do with legal matters but public (and his personal) opinion. Read before you respond and you wouldn't have needed to write the first part of your reply.

Rapist or liar, cheat, fraud...neither deserves respect in my opinion and my point was Rothlisberger has nothing to do with Armstrong unless you're looking for a way to give Armstrong some leniency. As I said, just because A > B doesn't mean A = +.

Back
Top Bottom