Laptop Help vol. I dropped mine!!!!!! FML

So I bought this Dell Studio laptop from Best Buy in like November 2008. I just had enough for the laptop so I didn't get any warranty or anything
tired.gif
. I thought I'd be real careful with it, but I ended up dropping itfrom my desk onto my wood floor. It ran absolutely perfectly before that...never slowed down/froze or anything. Ever since I dropped it though it startedfreezing up at times. It'll work good like it used to for a while, but then completely slow down and freeze if I'm using Internet Explorer orsomething. I've noticed that it doesn't happen to Firefox as often, but it'll happen with other programs too (Microsoft Word, etc.). Latelysomething's been popping up saying Windows has detected a hard disk error. It tells me to backup my data and repair/replace it or I might lose everythingon my computer. I'm waiting until my roommate brings back his external hard drive. Does anyone know how to repair it? How much would it cost to get fixedor can I do it on my own? Here's what I know about the computer:
Dell Studio (Inspiron 1535), Intel (R) Core (TM) Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz, 4.00 MB RAM, 64-bit Operating System, 320 GB Hard Drive.
I'm not too computer literate, but help me out if you can. Thanks.

Cliff Notes:
-Bought laptop around Nov. 2008 w/ no warranty
-Ran perfectly
-Dropped it
-Now it doesn't work perfectly
-Windows says there is a hard disk error. Backup data and repair/replace.
-How/What do I do and how much does it cost?

You sure that's a popup from Windows? Might just be spyware. A screen shot of what the pop-up would be nice. If you're on vista, you can use thesnippet tool to screen-cap it.

Yo! I dropped mine a few months back and the same disk error kept coming up. I took it to a shop and the dude told me it would be cheaper to just buy anotherone cause I didn't have the backup disks. RIP.

Originally Posted by SheryarYO

So I bought this Dell Studio laptop from Best Buy in like November 2008. I just had enough for the laptop so I didn't get any warranty or anything
tired.gif
. I thought I'd be real careful with it, but I ended up dropping it from my desk onto my wood floor. It ran absolutely perfectly before that...never slowed down/froze or anything. Ever since I dropped it though it started freezing up at times. It'll work good like it used to for a while, but then completely slow down and freeze if I'm using Internet Explorer or something. I've noticed that it doesn't happen to Firefox as often, but it'll happen with other programs too (Microsoft Word, etc.). Lately something's been popping up saying Windows has detected a hard disk error. It tells me to backup my data and repair/replace it or I might lose everything on my computer. I'm waiting until my roommate brings back his external hard drive. Does anyone know how to repair it? How much would it cost to get fixed or can I do it on my own? Here's what I know about the computer:
Dell Studio (Inspiron 1535), Intel (R) Core (TM) Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz, 4.00 MB RAM, 64-bit Operating System, 320 GB Hard Drive.
I'm not too computer literate, but help me out if you can. Thanks.

Cliff Notes:
-Bought laptop around Nov. 2008 w/ no warranty
-Ran perfectly
-Dropped it
-Now it doesn't work perfectly
-Windows says there is a hard disk error. Backup data and repair/replace.
-How/What do I do and how much does it cost?

How can you buy something that expensive and not get warranty? That doesn't make sense.

It might be spyware or like said above just buy a new harddrive.

if you just have to replace the hard drive its not that much $80-120 and you can install it on your own.

try reinstalling the operating system. you'll have to erase everything (save your files if you can) and see what happens then.

some laptops have the operating system saved on the actual hard drive so you can run it from there. just look for the disc in the box or for the paperwork tosee what you have.

buy a hard drive after this doesn't work. im 90% this will fix your problem.

well that actually makes me feel better. i'll try to get a screen shot of it next time it pops up. it always gives me 3 options: start the backup now, askme again later, or don't ask me again. it looks like an official windows notice, but i guess spyware can look like anything.

fd53506de9fb57388f3c5c2398a6701c3bd0cd4.jpg

it just popped up again. i just keep pressing ask me again later, because i'm just waiting for my roommate. is there a way to try to repair it myself? ionly want to buy a new hd if it's a last resort kind of thing.

Dells have diagnostic software that you can run from the POST screen. When you start the pc look at where it says press "x" key to start the bootmenu(its f12 on most of the ones ive seen) then run the diagnostics. If it gives you an error code your screwed, need a new hd. If not then its a windows errorand you can just erase the drive using killdisk and re install windows.

Originally Posted by Lex Rockhead

Dells have diagnostic software that you can run from the POST screen. When you start the pc look at where it says press "x" key to start the boot menu(its f12 on most of the ones ive seen) then run the diagnostics. If it gives you an error code your screwed, need a new hd. If not then its a windows error and you can just erase the drive using killdisk and re install windows.

hmmm alright. is there a way to keep microsoft office? i used the code from the one my girl bought, but she lost the code since we used both of them....

Dells have diagnostic software that you can run from the POST screen. When you start the pc look at where it says press "x" key to start the boot menu(its f12 on most of the ones ive seen) then run the diagnostics. If it gives you an error code your screwed, need a new hd. If not then its a windows error and you can just erase the drive using killdisk and re install windows.
listen to this guy. he explained it better.

Killdisk does just that. EVERYTHING on the disk will be gone. If you aint got the cds, again, your screwed. Shoot you in NY? Ill fix it for you.

If you're a student then get the ultimate office for like $60 or find someone who will get it for you if that's all you're worried about.

Killdisk does just that. EVERYTHING on the disk will be gone. If you aint got the cds, again, your screwed. Shoot you in NY? Ill fix it for you.

nope, DC...so how do i run killdisk if i need to? or do i need to download it and then run it?

Well youll have to download it (http://www.killdisk.com/) and make a boot cd out of it. There are directions on thewebsite. Then you would have to boot the pc from the cd you made. Its not particularly hard and you wont screw up your pc if you dont do it right, but thenagain you do need a lil bit of pc know-how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom