Late Pass: But I didn't know the Stephen Jackson story.

The media had me brainwashed.

From Wikipedia:

When growing up, Jackson worked in his grandfather's soul foodrestaurant in Port Arthur, Texas where he used to wash dishes and bustables.[sup][1][/sup]At the age of 14, Jackson saw his half-brother Donald die, aged 25.Following the violent tragedy, Jackson often surmised how he wished hecould have been there to assist and protect a member of his family."You can't tell me seeing his brother die that way hasn't had aneffect," recalls Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh. "To me, it's why he is always coming to the help of his teammates."

He prepped at Lincoln High School in Port Arthur before transferring to Oak Hill Academy (Virginia) where he earned All-America honors in 1996. He was the leading scorer in the 1996 McDonald's All-American game, on a team that included Kobe Bryant, Jermaine O'Neal and Tim Thomas.[sup][2][/sup] Following a commitment to join the University of Arizona (
pimp.gif
), Jackson was ruled academically ineligible.[sup][3][/sup][sup][4][/sup] He spent one semester at Butler Community College.

Jackson was selected 43rd overall in the 1997 NBA Draft by the Phoenix Suns,yet did not receive an opportunity to perform, as he was waived by theteam on October 30. Following this development, Jackson then saw actionin six games with the La Crosse Bobcats over two on-and-off seasons in the CBA, in which he averaged 2.7 points in 12.7 minutes per game. Additionally, Jackson had a brief stint with the Sydney Kings in Australia's National Basketball League. Continuing his basketball journey, Jackson played professionally in Venezuela and the Dominican Republic.

Mainstream media outlets generally portray Jackson in a negativeway, highlighting the fact that, in the past five years, he has beencharged with felony criminal recklessness and a number of misdemeanors,including assault, disorderly conduct, and two counts of battery.[sup][30][/sup]

Some sources identify Jackson in a more positive manner. Former teammate Tim Duncan once labeled Jackson as the "ultimate teammate" during his days in San Antonio. ESPN analyst and sportswriter Michael Smith finds Jackson to be "articulate, charming, and thoughtful."[sup][31][/sup]Lang Whitaker, executive editor of Slam Magazine, states Jackson is "one of my favorite players, after all."[sup][32][/sup]

Marcus Thompson of the Contra Costa Timesconveys his opinion as such: "He takes the younger players under hiswing, taking them shopping, dispensing advice, lending an ear. What'smore, he does the little things that are unbecoming of a millionairethug. He looks people in the eye when they talk to him, as if he caresabout what they're saying. He frequently doles out handshakes,half-hugs and, to women, pecks on the cheek. He returns phone calls. Hemends fences, lifts spirits, makes others feel special."[sup][33][/sup] Gwen Knapp, of the San Francisco Chronicle states "He couldn't have been more charming or more engaged, the perfect face of the franchise."[sup][34][/sup]

Former coaches Rick Carlisle and Don Nelson have constantly referred to Jackson's high character. On the Jim Romeshow, Nelson stated Jackson is not simply a good person in the limitedworld of the NBA, but one of the finest people he has ever known.[sup][35][/sup] Pacers executive Donnie Walsh,who was principally responsible for the Golden State trade, stated "Ilove Jack to death. He's emotional and he's going to get technicals.But that's just part of the package. He's a great team guy."[sup][36][/sup]

During his 7-game suspension to begin the 2007–08 NBA season, Jackson decided to donate a significant portion of his time towards community service in the Oaklandarea, in order to make a positive impact while giving the public achance to meet him. He organized several events, geared mainly towardschildren.[sup][37][/sup] Additionally, during a game against the Toronto Raptors, Jackson paid tribute to forward Matt Barnesand his ailing mother whom he had left to support in her battle againstcancer, by wearing the number 22 on his headband. Jackson also offeredto miss his return from suspension if Barnes needed the support at home.[sup][38][/sup] Jackson is also known to attend Bible study with other Warriors such as Kelenna Azubuike, former Warrior Al Harrington, and Brandan Wright.[sup][39][/sup] Pairing up with Southwest Airlines,Jackson and the Warriors organization arranged an essay contest forelementary school students from his hometown of Port Arthur, which gave10 third-graders the opportunity to meet Jackson and receive tickets tothe following night's game.[sup][40][/sup]

The NBA recognized Jackson for his ongoing charitable causes andpresented him with the league's Community Assist Award for March 2008.During the month of March alone, he participated in a Silence theViolence rally, teamed up with Grammy Award-winner John Legend to raisefunds for the Show Me Campaign, participated in a groundbreaking for abasketball court, and launched his own foundation.[sup][41][/sup]

In conjunction with the Good Tidings Foundation, Jackson unveiledthe Stephen Jackson Basketball Court at Omega Boys Club in SanFrancisco on April 11, 2008. Additionally, in honor of Jackson'scontinued commitment to the Bay Area community, San Francisco MayorGavin Newsom proclaimed Saturday, April 12, 2008 – the day after theunveiling – as Stephen Jackson Day in San Francisco.[sup][42][/sup]

I definitely didn't know all of that about Captain Jack. I had never really heard much about his history or anything, but just figured from the mainstream media that it would be something like the opposite.

Dude just became one of my favorite players
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

The thing with Stephen Jackson is.....yes.....he gets in trouble. But everytime he has gotten into some %++#, it has always been in defense of a teammate. I have never heard a single player who has played with Jack, say anything bad about him.

Capn Jack is appreciated.
pimp.gif

I really don't know anyone who has beef with Jack. He's one of those guys where money hasn't changed him, for better and worse.

Originally Posted by dland24

The thing with Stephen Jackson is.....yes.....he gets in trouble. But everytime he has gotten into some %++#, it has always been in defense of a teammate. I have never heard a single player who has played with Jack, say anything bad about him.

Capn Jack is appreciated.
pimp.gif

yep

Every single one of those reporters and publications are considered "mainstream media." You just haven't been paying attention.

my dude jack,
frown.gif
still wish he was a spur

laugh.gif
dude gave my a boy a ride from the barbershop to the corner store, he said jack was real cool  

Jackson has been tight based off that brawl fight alone, I gained a lot of respect for him.

But I definitely didn't know all of this. Good stuff.

damn i miss the old warrior team. wth is wrong with BD, he just got the paid and decided he didn't care anymore?

Originally Posted by friscostylez

damn i miss the old warrior team. wth is wrong with BD, he just got the paid and decided he didn't care anymore?
Yeah, basically.

He has been better this year than last year, though that's not saying a whole lot.

Never new about him potentially going to Arizona...him and Bibby on that 1997 NC team would have been
pimp.gif
sick.gif

None the less I appreciate his game and what he's done in the community in the bay area.

One of my favorite players in the league. There was a GREAT article on him in ESPN the mag a couple years ago that covered most if not all of those points. I'm actually 90% certain it quoted Tim Duncan as saying "he's these best team mate I've ever played with."

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Originally Posted by friscostylez

Yeah, basically.

He has been better this year than last year, though that's not saying a whole lot.
I have been watching him throughout the last 2 years and i'm still amazed how he don't use his post game more often now since he's getting up there with age. I think he would benefit if he watched some Sam Cassel tapes and stay away from that trey. When Baron is on his game, he is probably one of the most scary point guard to be matched up against.

Capt. Jack is definitely appreciated. it's a shame that he left the warriors and the bay area on bad terms.

did not know that about Capt. Jack. i miss that GSW team. Being from the bay area, i went to some of the warrior games and they were definitely fun. Jack is definitely appreciated

Back
Top Bottom