Late Registration or The College Dropout vol: completely Different

Kanyewest_collegedropout.jpg

LR is one of the best complete hip hop albums to come out in the past 10 years. From start to finish it has a sound and a direction that is consistent throughout. Kanye and Jon Brion produced a fantastic album that in every sense of the word, is an album and truly meant to be listened to as an album.

CD is also great, in the sense that most great hip hop albums are great. A collection of songs that can be listened to from beginning to end and always enjoyable. What seperates LR is the whole-ness of the album, and the height of creativity that was established.

I've said it too many times on NT, Late Registration is the top of the curve when it comes to Kanye's career so far. Any artist can work their whole life to make a debut as solid as College Dropout. Not many can follow their debut with an album that surpasses the debut in every way.

Late Registration is his best and most complete album...I listened to it on a road trip for the first time...was like
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Touch the Sky blew my mind, the sample was SO DOPE (i know it's Blaze, but still). Drive Slow, just a dope *** cruising song...Roses was
frown.gif
. production on Addiction is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
. This song was live was
eek.gif
Had a screen in the background with trippy eyes...not to mention.

Put on Lupe.
Diamonds (Remix)

Enough Said. I have a feeling Good *** Job will be very similar to LR. LR is like the medium to CD and 808's to me, not saying Graduation doesn't exist it was just on some other #*#@, although I Wonder was a clue to where he was heading...

LR just flowed beautifully to me. Plus not one flat out wack song on there versus CD where Breathe In Breathe Out and Workout Plan felt out of place and messed up the flow of the album. Both still great albums, but LR gets the edge IMO.

And the sampling on LR
eek.gif
, f'n amazing
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

LR is one of the best complete hip hop albums to come out in the past 10 years. From start to finish it has a sound and a direction that is consistent throughout. Kanye and Jon Brion produced a fantastic album that in every sense of the word, is an album and truly meant to be listened to as an album.

CD is also great, in the sense that most great hip hop albums are great. A collection of songs that can be listened to from beginning to end and always enjoyable. What seperates LR is the whole-ness of the album, and the height of creativity that was established.

I've said it too many times on NT, Late Registration is the top of the curve when it comes to Kanye's career so far. Any artist can work their whole life to make a debut as solid as College Dropout. Not many can follow their debut with an album that surpasses the debut in every way.

few years ago i would have said the college dropout but now I feel that LR is better. I think its damn near perfect. When I listen to CD now I still enjoy it but i get tired of the skits and workout plan. I connected with CD heavy it came out, it was a breath of fresh air and I still appreciate it but imo ye followed it up with a better album.

CD for me. The whole album just felt so understandable. Not sure if I've ever spun an album as much as I've listened to Dropout.

I've never disliked any of Kanye's albums though. Even 808 became a favorite of mine after appreciating it as more of an R&B album.

CD>Graduation>LR for me
Regardless of my preference of one over another, they're still all masterpieces to me.

College Dropout>>>*

In terms of 'Ye albums...I'm prolly where I'm in the minority but I perfer Graduationn over LR.

Late Registration > CD

And all the hate on Graduation?? That album was
pimp.gif
too.

Production on there was dope as hell....albeit the album was more of 'show-off' kind of album.

College Dropout imo its closer than a lot of people think neather are classics tho.

I just had this discussion with a huge hip hop head. Initially I loved LR and thought it was WAY better than CD. But Cd had more of a hip-hop feel and changed the game completely. Kanye ushered in a new movement. You didn't have to sell dope, or be a gangster or even be too soft to be successful in rap. He restored the feel good music back to hip-hop i.e. ATCQ.

I thought that Kanye was dropping too soon when LR came out. I didn't think he could surpass or equate the success of CD so soon. I thought the sophomore jinx would get him if he didn't play it right and I was unimpressed with the first two singles, but when I purchased the album I thought that MUSICALLY is was light years ahead of CD.

So I say all of that to say that they are both great in their own right, and I cannot choose between the two. I will say that both are WAy better than graduation which is my least favorite.

Kanye is incredible-not the best lyricist at all but he makes great projects as a whole! He makes solid albums and constantly raises the bar.

Back
Top Bottom