Latino/hispanic discussion thread Vol Saludos.

I have a 1/2 brother who doesn't speak. I do.

Different moms. Same dad.

My maternal grandmother didn't speak English. His does. She was in the US longer.

That's the difference maker.

gotta drill it early, im terrified knocking up a broad that barely speaks Spanish because da kid gonna lose it...im tempted to import a DR hottie from da island and just make her a citizen, but that brings another host of other problems :lol: :smh:

you gotta fight thru it...its like basketball, people gonna leave you WIDE open if they know you can't shoot a jump shot...

folks appreciate when you try and get better vs not try and lose da language for yourself and kids forever. My Barber jokes to my mom that he's really da one that taught me Spanish :lol: :smh: i let him rib me because its constructive to get teased on something you wanna get better at... incentives include a more broader spectrum at music & culture, and another tool at baggin fresh of da boat broads.

That's the thing, I don't care about getting better at it at this point. I'm too old for that bull****. I don't want to get with any chick who can't speak English. I speak Spanish as a last resort, my language is English. I've lived in NYC my whole life. My experience is not the same as the people in DR. They don't see me as one of them and I concur. I love the food, music, culture, it's part of my history and upbringing but at the end of the day, I'm a New Yorker before anything else. I don't have to accept anyone who doesn't accept me. It's not my job to enlighten them. And ultimately, the language will get lost. If you start a family in the US, over time, Spanish will become an afterthought. It's the consequence of the American Dream.

That's the thing, I don't care about getting better at it at this point.

its never too late to get better once you at Least understand it.

If you start a family in the US, over time, Spanish will become an afterthought

nah, there's a certain pride and practical skill knowing 2 languages in general, if you're conscious of keeping it sharp it'll never get lost...

if a woman can't speak Spanish its damn near a deal breaker for me.

I just need to perfect my writing skills in spanish. Spitting at 2 girls that only speak/type spanish(baddies) and now my iphone keyboard is throwing me spanish recommendation words when i text them..thank God.

I just need to perfect my writing skills in spanish. Spitting at 2 girls that only speak/type spanish(baddies) and now my iphone keyboard is throwing me spanish recommendation words when i text them..thank God.

Spanish spell check on Android has been a godsend :lol:

My girl and I had a discussion about kids, and she says she wants Spanish to be the first language for them...I think the foundation should be English, and they should learn Spanish secondarily since English is what they'll be using most. It's not because I don't want my kids speaking Spanish, but there are small things I notice about my girl's English that makes it clear that Spanish was her first language.

Curious what other people think about this.

yerrr just seeing this thread! DR Reppin here.

for my nyc ppl. the only spot in inwood Manhattan that's doing well is El Jefe on Dyckman st and vermilyea ave.

But you also have Taboga on 10th ave and from what I'm hearing the owner of La Marina opened up a new spot in The BX called Zona De Cuba.

My girl and I had a discussion about kids, and she says she wants Spanish to be the first language for them...I think the foundation should be English, and they should learn Spanish secondarily since English is what they'll be using most. It's not because I don't want my kids speaking Spanish, but there are small things I notice about my girl's English that makes it clear that Spanish was her first language.

I'm curious to know why does it matter that it shows that Spanish was her first language?

and I think a kid should learn Spanish before English simply because you're going to learn English regardless in school and from your surroundings.

if they learn English first its gonna be harder for them to even be interested in learning Spanish since very few ppl speak the language.

I learned Spanish before English and I came out alright.lol

listen to your girlfriend.

your swimming in English... Spanish has to be actively taught to master.

yerrr just seeing this thread! DR Reppin here.

for my nyc ppl. the only spot in inwood Manhattan that's doing well is El Jefe on Dyckman st and vermilyea ave.

But you also have Taboga on 10th ave and from what I'm hearing the owner of La Marina opened up a new spot in The BX called Zona De Cuba.
Been meaning to check this spot. Can't believe they converted the post office to a damn rooftop lounge, but gentrification.

the only spot in inwood Manhattan that's doing well is El Jefe on Dyckman st and vermilyea ave.

papasito, su****o, pirate pete(sic) & mamajuana and that whole strip going towards la marina always packed, minus Seawalk...

I'm curious to know why does it matter that it shows that Spanish was her first language?

and I think a kid should learn Spanish before English simply because you're going to learn English regardless in school and from your surroundings.

if they learn English first its gonna be harder for them to even be interested in learning Spanish since very few ppl speak the language.

I learned Spanish before English and I came out alright.lol
Only because some of her English comes off broken at times. I also don't speak Spanish as fluently, so I feel like I'd be missing certain things by not speaking the language as well as someone who grew up with it. I'm challenging myself to use it more, but it's still my second language.

I have no issue trying to expose them to both concurrently, but she's on some 'Spanish will be the only language spoken at home' and that seems a little short-sighted to me.

NOTE: My mother avoided teaching me Spanish altogether, and I hate that she did. The last thing I want to do is neglect my/our culture, but I also want it to be within reason.

Last edited:
good gentrification..ala La Marina clearing out a drug nest when it 1st opened.
Eh, I don't know. I just moved back to the neighborhood, and it's changing quick. This example might be a good one, but a few blocks down they're building a $68 million state of the art precinct to clean up the South Bronx.

It is what it is, though.

Definitely speak spanish to them first.
They will learn english in school and proper grammer and so forth.
English is still the primary language. School, friends, online, over the phone.
Gotta make sure to teach them when theyre young or else they wont want to speak it as they get older

Gotta make sure to teach them when theyre young or else they wont want to speak it as they get older
Pretty much the same argument she made, and I don't disagree. I guess we'll see if I knock this broad up.:lol:

this should be a blueprint for any Latino Hispanic American that wants to make sure their children understands and speaks Spanish going forward.

My dad is from Mexico and my mom the states (non native Spanish speaker). I grew up in a small town and only spoke Spanish when I was little and when it was time to start school..they sent me home within the first week because my teacher couldn’t understand me :lol:

After that my mom had to drill English into my head and it became my primary language.

And for all of those who were born in the US from immigrant parents, VISIT THE HOMELAND! That truly gives you the appreciation of where you and your family came from It connects you with the culture, especially if you visit where your family lived/lives

Back
Top Bottom