LeBron and Jerry Colangelo suddenly in a war of words over Team USA

War of words indeed..

[h1]http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a..._wont_necessarily_keep_stars_out_of_olympics/[/h1]
[h1]Skipping Worlds Won't Necessarily Keep Stars Out Of Olympics[/h1]

Apr 06, 2010 6:38 AM EST
James_LeBron_cle.jpg
Skipping the World Championships this summer won't necessarily keep stars like LeBron James from playing in the Olympics in 2012.

On Monday, USA Basketball's Jerry Colangelo clarified statements made last week that raised the ire of James.

"We appreciate the fact they're willing to give their time. We have to be flexible," Colangelo said. "Some players may have to miss for whatever the reason may be — contracts, injuries, family issues ... free agency this year is big."

Previously, Colangelo had said he would not provide "free passes" in terms of playing in London in 2012 for players who skipped the worlds without a valid excuse.

"There's a lot that goes on with being a professional athlete other than just basketball," James told reporters in response to Colangelo's "free pass" edict.

"I'm not trying to bash Jerry or anything like that because he's a good guy and I respect him. I don't respect (his statement) because of the commitment we've all given to the U.S.A."

Who could have seen this coming..

Originally Posted by DubA169

why in the world would free agency be an excuse? how long could that decision possibly take?
moving is a process my man
laugh.gif

especially if youve lived in the same garbage state since birth

nerd.gif

honestly we dont know where bron is gonna be next season but one things for sure he is gonna be in that team USA jersey come 2012

How many other International players in the NBA do  u see wanting to skip playing for there country?

I hope 3-4 stars skip the Worlds n the US comes in silver or bronze medal position n then watch the media n u guys rip the players who sat out.

Pau,Manu and Hedo etc would never sit out on there National team damn even Deng tried to play for GB last year n he wasnt even fully fit its just not as important as it should be as far as alot of American superstars in the NBA now theyve won gold again its like they can do watever.

If Bron dont wanna commit then he shouldnt play in 2012 they know tha deal and no player should be treated differently gonna b great for team chemistry if he strolls into tha team on tha back of doin f all to earn his spot egos will be bruised n tempers flaired.

SMH 2 years pass n team USA got tha same crap goin on that happened b4 I expect alot of others to pull out cause well its only the World Championships isnt it
tired.gif

Peace
Scottie

Originally Posted by Big J 33

War of words indeed..

[h1]http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a..._wont_necessarily_keep_stars_out_of_olympics/[/h1]
[h1]Skipping Worlds Won't Necessarily Keep Stars Out Of Olympics[/h1]

Apr 06, 2010 6:38 AM EST
James_LeBron_cle.jpg
Skipping the World Championships this summer won't necessarily keep stars like LeBron James from playing in the Olympics in 2012.

On Monday, USA Basketball's Jerry Colangelo clarified statements made last week that raised the ire of James.

"We appreciate the fact they're willing to give their time. We have to be flexible," Colangelo said. "Some players may have to miss for whatever the reason may be — contracts, injuries, family issues ... free agency this year is big."

Previously, Colangelo had said he would not provide "free passes" in terms of playing in London in 2012 for players who skipped the worlds without a valid excuse.

"There's a lot that goes on with being a professional athlete other than just basketball," James told reporters in response to Colangelo's "free pass" edict.

"I'm not trying to bash Jerry or anything like that because he's a good guy and I respect him. I don't respect (his statement) because of the commitment we've all given to the U.S.A."
Who could have seen this coming..

What a coward.  Dude's filmin a movie, he already said so.  And the ink on that contract will be loooooooong dried by the time he's needed on the court.  What a douche move by both of them. 
smh.gif

However, it ain't like I didn't expect this. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

brownsuga1 wrote:
I understand Lebron is a superstar and has other obligations, but representing the U.S. SHOULDN'T be a burden. I mean wow.............this is like someone said above me a tournament exclusively for basketball. There are plenty of NBA players let alone non NBA players/people who would love to represent the U.S. at a grand scale. Basketball IS priority number one in my opinion. Without it, he wouldn't have any of this.
This. I say leave his #*% off the team and anyone else who doesn't want to be part of it 100%. There are plenty of US tallent in the NBA who would love a chance to represent this country. I personally would appriciate a bronse metal won by players who commeted 100% the entire time and who cherished the opportunity over a group of superstars winning the gold who saw it as a burden.  

I mean lets be serious does anyone of us NTers really benefit any differently when the US gets a metal? No. Give the chance to someone who WANT to be there.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by DubA169

why in the world would free agency be an excuse? how long could that decision possibly take?
moving is a process my man
laugh.gif

especially if youve lived in the same garbage state since birth

nerd.gif

honestly we dont know where bron is gonna be next season but one things for sure he is gonna be in that team USA jersey come 2012

bronny.jpg

Can't there be a happy medium? Like show up to 8-10 practices this summer to keep the team chemistry, and then let the players like Durant, Westbrook, B-Roy, ball this summer.

Originally Posted by BabyfacedAssassin31

How many other International players in the NBA do  u see wanting to skip playing for there country?

I hope 3-4 stars skip the Worlds n the US comes in silver or bronze medal position n then watch the media n u guys rip the players who sat out.

Pau,Manu and Hedo etc would never sit out on there National team damn even Deng tried to play for GB last year n he wasnt even fully fit its just not as important as it should be as far as alot of American superstars in the NBA now theyve won gold again its like they can do watever.

If Bron dont wanna commit then he shouldnt play in 2012 they know tha deal and no player should be treated differently gonna b great for team chemistry if he strolls into tha team on tha back of doin f all to earn his spot egos will be bruised n tempers flaired.

SMH 2 years pass n team USA got tha same crap goin on that happened b4 I expect alot of others to pull out cause well its only the World Championships isnt it
tired.gif

Peace
Scottie

Completely agree

The USA can win without Lebron.

Personally, I kinda see it both ways...If Lebron has already committed 4 years to the USA Basketball program and wants to respectfully take some time off and look at other endeavors, what's the big deal!? Michael Jordan once said on the old VHS tape "Air Time" in regards to the 92 Olympics, that he also wanted to spend time with his family and away from basketball for a while....obviously MJ still found himself on the squad but it's not unheard of and nor should it be necessarily be mandatory that a guy has to always commit to the upcoming USA Basketball team.....

I also believe that it is an honor to play for your country, and I can see why Jerry Colangelo would feel so adamant about having Lebron on the team for sure. But it's not like the man has never appeared on behalf of his country...one summer he wants to explore other options and now he's selfish and arrogant!?
indifferent.gif
Money shouldn't be the reason a guy has to commit to everything under the sun.

Team USA is going to need all hands on deck to win this summer.

Back
Top Bottom