LeBron and Jerry Colangelo suddenly in a war of words over Team USA

[h1][/h1]
[h1]LeBron James says he doesn't "respect" Jerry Colangelo's threats for 2012 Olympics[/h1][h4]By Brian Windhorst, The Plain Dealer[/h4][h5]April 04, 2010, 12:38PM[/h5]
BOSTON -- Two years ago LeBron James and some of his closest friends helped Jerry Colangelo and USA Basketball restore national pride by winning the gold medal at the Beijing Olympics.

But those memories seem to be fading as James and Colangelo are now involved in a developing war of words over this summer's FIBA World Championships in Turkey.

Earlier this week, James said he would likely skip playing for Team USA this summer because of other commitments. That includes his free agency but also a movie he's planning on filming over the summer. There have been reports that Dwyane Wade also may skip playing in Turkey.

Colangelo then told Yahoo! Sports: "There are no free passes to London (for 2012 Olympics). There are no special rules for anyone. If someone decides to pass without a legit issue, they do it with an understanding of the risk."

Like in 2006 when he took over running USA Basketball, Colangelo wants a three-summer commitment from players who want to play in the Olympics. James, who has played for Team USA in four of the last six summer, bristled at the statement Sunday before the Cavs took on the Boston Celtics at TD Garden.

"There's a lot that goes on with being a professional athlete other than just basketball," James said. "I think everyone in the USA knows what type of commitment these guys have made, including myself, since 2003. I'm not trying to bash Jerry or anything like that because he's a good guy and I respect him. I don't respect that because of the commitment we've all given to the USA."

James has said he hopes to play in London in 2012 to defend the gold medal. But he doesn't sound like he intends to back down on this summer's issue despite Colangelo's statements.

"If that is the case, we'll have to see when it happens," James said. "If we're jeopardizing being in London, what can we do?"

http://www.cleveland.com/...s_says_he_doesnt_re.html

This could be interesting...
nerd.gif

Well, Colangelo's got a point, no? No one should have a pass, it's a commitment that should be met all the way through.

laugh.gif
Classic case of a beat-writer overdoing things with a Headline/Title. Nothing in that article indicated a "war of words". More like "simple disagreement".

i dont blame LBJ. they have commited to USA BALL since '03 and this is his biggest offseason being that he will have to see what happens

Yea, LeBron has a lot of things going on this summer, you can't blame him.

laugh.gif
at the writer gassing this up though.

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

[h1][/h1]
[h1]LeBron James says he doesn't "respect" Jerry Colangelo's threats for 2012 Olympics[/h1][h4]By Brian Windhorst, The Plain Dealer[/h4][h5]April 04, 2010, 12:38PM[/h5]
BOSTON -- Two years ago LeBron James and some of his closest friends helped Jerry Colangelo and USA Basketball restore national pride by winning the gold medal at the Beijing Olympics.

But those memories seem to be fading as James and Colangelo are now involved in a developing war of words over this summer's FIBA World Championships in Turkey.

Earlier this week, James said he would likely skip playing for Team USA this summer because of other commitments. That includes his free agency but also a movie he's planning on filming over the summer. There have been reports that Dwyane Wade also may skip playing in Turkey.

Colangelo then told Yahoo! Sports: "There are no free passes to London (for 2012 Olympics). There are no special rules for anyone. If someone decides to pass without a legit issue, they do it with an understanding of the risk."

Like in 2006 when he took over running USA Basketball, Colangelo wants a three-summer commitment from players who want to play in the Olympics. James, who has played for Team USA in four of the last six summer, bristled at the statement Sunday before the Cavs took on the Boston Celtics at TD Garden.

"There's a lot that goes on with being a professional athlete other than just basketball," James said. "I think everyone in the USA knows what type of commitment these guys have made, including myself, since 2003. I'm not trying to bash Jerry or anything like that because he's a good guy and I respect him. I don't respect that because of the commitment we've all given to the USA."

James has said he hopes to play in London in 2012 to defend the gold medal. But he doesn't sound like he intends to back down on this summer's issue despite Colangelo's statements.

"If that is the case, we'll have to see when it happens," James said. "If we're jeopardizing being in London, what can we do?"

http://www.cleveland.com/...s_says_he_doesnt_re.html

This could be interesting...
nerd.gif

Boy LBJ really went for Jerry's throat on that one.

Colangelo had to say something just so suddenly all of Team USA doesn't try to skip out on this summer.  I understand Lebron's point, but if players start to get lazy or complacent, that's how the team gets sloppy and it could lead to problems.

I don't think Colangelo has the stones not to invite Wade or Lebron for London in 2012.  Especially considering the possibility of injuries or other problems that could hurt the rest of team USA by the time the Olympics come around, you can't risk leaving out two of the best players.

Lebron has known about Colangelo's expectations for Team USA for the past couple of years. I like that there is no preferential treatment given to anyone on this team...no matter how big of a star that you are. Why didn't Lebron bring this up back in 2006 when JC took over? I see both sides of the argument, but it's hard to side w. Lebron on this one because he knew what was expected of him and everyone else when Colangelo took over.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Lebron has known about Colangelo's expectations for Team USA for the past couple of years. I like that there is no preferential treatment given to anyone on this team...no matter how big of a star that you are. Why didn't Lebron bring this up back in 2006 when JC took over? I see both sides of the argument, but it's hard to side w. Lebron on this one because he knew what was expected of him and everyone else when Colangelo took over.
You could say the same thing for Colangelo though.

There is no way he thought LeBron was going to give him a 3 year commitment twice.

laugh.gif
Sure. LeBron will take this summer off, and play in the 2012 Olympics. Nike and David Stern will convince Mr Colangelo.

damn, so these guys have to eat, sleep, breathe and %%+% Hoops every off season

things change, priorities change, kids start walkin, dudes start realizing they wanna be able to do something other than play ball all off season  

I hope Lebron, DWade, Coach K and more players buck so we can send Larry Brown, Starbury, RJ, AI & LO to represent us in Olympics again and bring home that Bronze.
smokin.gif

This is all because the World Championships of basketball don't seem to carry any prestige with them. I find it ridiculous that winning the Olympic basketball tournament has more prestige than the World Championship, a tournament that is exclusively about basketball.

I'm not sure Lebron has paid enough dues to be calling the shots like that. If he doesn't want to play then he doesn't want to play, but for him to say he doesn't respect Colangelo's words seems awfully arrogant of him. People who get to play on the USA team should feel it's a privilege rather than a burden, which is what Lebron is making it seem like.

I don't see Collangelo having the stones to not let Kobe, Wade, Lebron, maybe even D12 let do whatever they want. I think he was moreso setting a tone for the role players, but the marquee players can do whatever they want. If not, the US is lucky to even win a medal period. These guys have lives too and its not basketball 24/7. Do they even get paid for it? (Not like they NEED the money)

this is just where two different schools of thought conflict with each other...

the old vs. the new..

i am on the fence with this one.

I understand Lebron is a superstar and has other obligations, but representing the U.S. SHOULDN'T be a burden. I mean wow.............this is like someone said above me a tournament exclusively for basketball. There are plenty of NBA players let alone non NBA players/people who would love to represent the U.S. at a grand scale. Basketball IS priority number one in my opinion. Without it, he wouldn't have any of this.

GUNNA:
damn, so these guys have to eat, sleep, breathe and %%+% Hoops every off season

things change, priorities change, kids start walkin, dudes start realizing they wanna be able to do something other than play ball all off season  

I hope Lebron, DWade, Coach K and more players buck so we can send Larry Brown, Starbury, RJ, AI & LO to represent us in Olympics again and bring home that Bronze.
smokin.gif

That's the kind of thinking that allows these diva athletes to be divas.

It would be a breath of fresh air if a supersar came through like 'Nah, I said I'd give a 3-yr commitment, and I plan on fulfilling that. Why? Because I said I would, end of story.' I'm tired of these idiots thinking their athletic supertalents hold them to higher standards, acting like their 50-pt games cure cancer and solve world hunger.

They already get paid millions to do what they do. Their lavish lifestyles are the only things that should seperate their lives from ours. In the world I live in, a man is only as good as his word. LeBron is exempt from that standard b/c he's got 100 times more talent than anyone I will ever know?

Originally Posted by brownsuga1

I understand Lebron is a superstar and has other obligations, but representing the U.S. SHOULDN'T be a burden. I mean wow.............this is like someone said above me a tournament exclusively for basketball. There are plenty of NBA players let alone non NBA players/people who would love to represent the U.S. at a grand scale. Basketball IS priority number one in my opinion. Without it, he wouldn't have any of this.

is USA Basketball gonna pay the difference in Lebron's Salary if he gets seriously injured while he's a Free Agent in his REAL job?

Back
Top Bottom