Let’s talk Retirement Fantasies

4-500k im out

not working with that amount in cash

can easily use that money to start/do something else and be the master of my time

will still b working but doing something I enjoy or being able to bring work wit me wherever I go

valuing time as I get older

I’m traveling mad places. Working out everyday. Massages once or twice a week. Fishing and golfing often. I want a housekeeper/maid. Attending every sporting event.

i don’t have kids so the money just gotta last til my last breath. Basically just wanna be as healthy and comfortable as possible while seeing the world. I don’t know how some old folks hit retirement. then stay home sitting on the couch everyday reading the newspaper and playing bingo once every 3 months while their spouse complains about the dishes not being washed properly. If I’m not having to clock into work for 10-12 hours a day, let the life adventures begin.

. I don’t know how some old folks hit retirement. then stay home sitting on the couch everyday reading the newspaper and playing bingo once every 3 months while their spouse complains about the dishes not being washed properly. If I’m not having to clock into work for 10-12 hours a day, let the life adventures begin.
There’s a lot of boring people out there but besides that I think when people get to that age, they don’t have the energy to live life to its fullest. They’re frail and tired lol. They spend their time watching the same re-runs, scrolling Facebook, knowing every damn news story, and maybe hitting up the slot machines sometimes

that’s why I think it’s wild how a lot of folks plan to enjoy life after retirement. Not to mention it’s no guarantee they’ll even live to see their 60s-80s or older. You might be in a nursing home living like a vegetable

Retirement strategy:

pension from teaching job
wife’s 401k (contribute $1500ish a month)
own as much real estate, commercial and residential, as possible (have some already)

Not sure how much I will need to retire, but this is my plan.

Lol put down the pipe OP. I promise if a suitcase with 2 mill showed up on your doorstep youre not going back to your 100k a year job even if thats what yoive told yourself. 20 million minimum.... hahahahahahahah

Yea 15 wouldnt be enough for you. Barely change your life.... *rolls eyes like crap die"

Thats what im saying, even the oast 2 yrs covid has out the battery in alot of peoples back and they had NOTHING

You telling me 200k is not enough for you to branch off and work for yourself?

Now if we are talking retirement with NO work at all, i just chill all day, ill say maybe 1.5 million

I’ll say this: when you start crunching numbers it becomes painfully obvious that the U.S. is expensive as hell. Like it’s become unnecessarily expensive to make it here. There’s a lot to love about the states but you can straight up flourish elsewhere if you bring U.S. dollars.

long believed there's gotta be a better deal somewhere else on this planet...overpriced AND racist? at least pick one, jeez.

What would y’all do if you retired early though? Eventually it’d get boring I think.

workout everyday
learn to cook stuff
Pick up new hobbies
Read books

all of the things you named could take up 3 lifetimes done correctly...work is really what gives your life meaning and form?

I’m traveling mad places. Working out everyday. Massages once or twice a week. Fishing and golfing often. I want a housekeeper/maid. Attending every sporting event.

i don’t have kids so the money just gotta last til my last breath. Basically just wanna be as healthy and comfortable as possible while seeing the world. I don’t know how some old folks hit retirement. then stay home sitting on the couch everyday reading the newspaper and playing bingo once every 3 months while their spouse complains about the dishes not being washed properly. If I’m not having to clock into work for 10-12 hours a day, let the life adventures begin.
This sounds like my dad :lol: He retired about 3 or 4 years ago and all he does is read books and the newspaper all day

These replies are interesting because our answers have to take into account our family situation. I thought NT general grew up and had an old lady and kids ?? 😂 a lotta yall talking about gimme $1-2M and I’m OUT

I got a wife + 2 kids, ima need 6-8M.
I also am blessed with a well paying job that I’ve worked my way into. And it ain’t that hard/stressful. I wouldn’t walk away from this bread unless I was GOOD good.

no kids no wife here

as of today every penny is mine

so dont need the millions others is looking for

i understand 100% tho

Who said that?

famous study...may or may not be totally accurate with inflation since 2010, but it sounds about right to me.

I did go ahead and round it off to about 100k/yr...I feel poorest when I am unable to help others, so there's some for that.

Thats what im saying, even the oast 2 yrs covid has out the battery in alot of peoples back and they had NOTHING

Now if we are talking retirement with NO work at all, i just chill all day, ill say maybe 1.5 million

****, I branched off for myself with like $200...I was done selling my finite hours at wholesale rates.

give me 100k today and I guarantee I'll be done working for anybody, including me, within 5 years.

**** work for its own sake.

This reasonated with my soul fam.

Everyday I get up I'm trying to free myself from working a 9-5. There has been a couple points in my life where I had roughly 6 figures accessible and thought about telling my job to get bent.

I know that 6 figures isn't enough for me and my family to live forever but it is enough for us to be intentional with how we spend our time.

Like others have said I value my time more than my money. Give me enough money to allocate my time how I choose and I guarantee I live a happier life.

My mom is actually 65 and close to retiring and I can actually see the fear in her eyes when we talk. She's made a ton of good moves but I thinks she's worried that she won't have much to do when she hangs it all up. I actually see her taking on new unnecessary projects at work just to give her an excuse to stay around.

I keep trying to tell her these are supposed to be some of the happiest days of her life but work has consumed her spirit. I can't hate it but I don't want that for myself at all.

Like I said earlier give me a million in assets with residual income and 500K in the bank. I guarantee I work for myself from that point forward.

This reasonated with my soul fam.

Everyday I get up I'm trying to free myself from working a 9-5. There has been a couple points in my life where I had roughly 6 figures accessible and thought about telling my job to get bent.

I know that 6 figures isn't enough for me and my family to live forever but it is enough for us to be intentional with how we spend our time.

Like others have said I value my time more than my money. Give me enough money to allocate my time how I choose and I guarantee I live a happier life.

My mom is actually 65 and close to retiring and I can actually see the fear in her eyes when we talk. She's made a ton of good moves but I thinks she's worried that she won't have much to do when she hangs it all up. I actually see her taking on new unnecessary projects at work just to give her an excuse to stay around.

I keep trying to tell her these are supposed to be some of the happiest days of her life but work has consumed her spirit. I can't hate it but I don't want that for myself at all.

Like I said earlier give me a million in assets with residual income and 500K in the bank. I guarantee I work for myself from that point forward.

bro we gonna make it

currently adjusting my mindset to do different things

dont want to be a slave at my job for the next 20-30 and only look forward to days off, vacations n retirement

there are teenagers that became half millionaires/millionaires thru cypto during the pandemic

the number of new millionares last yr went thru the roof

even billionaires got richer

ill b damned if i dont branch out n try different ish

especially for me being single and no kids

time is very valuable man

im at a point where im learning different skills and anything that is about a dollar im trying to get in tuned with it

started doing some real estate last yr, going heavy with the crypto, created a llc and trying to build up my business/personal credit

i promise myself i am not going to lose out here, we only get 1 of these beautiful things we call life, why not go large

I need the extra 10 so I can have 5 for the “poor dude syndrome” I need to buy and spend some irresponsibly and do a couple lavish things. By the time I see 5 gone I’d start to wake up and spend better and the 10 can make me money forever.

Yea. I couldn’t continue working. Especially knowing I’m making someone else money. I quit with 5m

with resources now a says and a ton of side hustles. I believe we can reach 1m at least. It’s just having the ambition to do it.

Not Really A Thought To Retire For Me.

If I Had A Ton Of Cash Out Of Nowhere I'm More Likely To Work Less Than To Leave My Job All Together.

I'd Truly Like To Be Apart Of A Social Experiment To Prove I Could Spend 1 Billion In My Lifetime :lol:

I could retire right now, if I really wanted to (Covid has GREATLY benefited me). But I still wish to work until I hit 55 (I'm 32 right). I honestly do enjoy what I do for a living. I have my own Private Equity firm, which employs ~75 employees based out in NYC, with offices in SF, London & Hong Kong. Our AUM is ~$25 billion.

Not so much a number I'm chasing, more so waiting for a certain age to hit. Plan to do a lot of pro-bono work, strategic advisory, and hope to mentor and assiduously uplift minorities and/or women in low-income communities (I come from a low income community). Seriously considering starting an NGO or NP once I "retire". Most of the money I've earned will go into philanthropy and principle investing (even 50/50 split).

Would probably still live in NYC, depending if I meet a life partner and her career requires her to live somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom