Let's at least have a thread about the Oklahoma City Thunder and that they are in sixth place.

These guys are a legitimately talented NBA team - and they were in a fifth place not too long ago, with a shot at Top 4 when it's all over.
We've had discussions about Brandon Jennings, the Memphis Grizzlies, etc. which have lasted a month at best before fading away. But the Thunder have been consistent from the start and they don't look like they're going anywhere. And I don't think they'll be a one-season wonder like the Los Angeles Clippers or Hornets (to some extent).

Kevin Durant is a legitimate NBA superstar. He has the skills and drive to stick around with Lebron, and Wade, maybe even more so than Carmelo Anthony on a purely individual basis. He probably won't finish Top 3 in voting for MVP this year - but he certainly has a chance.

They're set at almost every position, and they have a developing young bench to boot. Their downfall right now is that they don't have a pure big man who plays big other than Ibaka.

Most surprising, they're an effective defensive squad. This isn't something I'd expect from a young team playing small, but the numbers tell the truth.

I don't think it's a question of if they'll make the playoffs, but it's starting to become one of how far they'll go. I think they're almost a lock for a second round, obviously depending on the matchups. The only thing I'd be worried about is their lack of experience, which could get them shook out of their game.

Thoughts?

They'll be the most dangerous team in the playoffs given the fact that they play good defense and have a superstar that can take over games.

You guys really see them gettin' out of the 1st round?

I got love for Durant he my boy, but they might still be 1 or 2 years away... Wouldn't shock me if they made a run though..

entertaining team to say the least

which seed does 6 or 7th usually play? 5th?

They can cause alot of matchup probs with westbrook and durant.  but like others have said, they need a big man.  They should get a big solid like haywood or camby.

Originally Posted by Drama23

They can cause alot of matchup probs with westbrook and durant.  but like others have said, they need a big man.  They should get a big solid like haywood or camby.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

damn bro is u serious?!

Originally Posted by xBraveHeartX

Originally Posted by Drama23

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

damn bro is u serious?!
1 vs 8
2 vs 7

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

Who overtook us for 5th? I don't think this is our year for the 2nd round though. In terms of development, this is the "happy to make it, don't get swept- great season!" yr. I mean this team won 23 games last yr and is on pace to probably double that with no significant roster turnaround. You got the 2nd youngest team in the league leading the league in defensive fg% and it's real defense, not just that hold the ball forever so you don't have it either and neither one of us will break 75pts 'Early 00's Eastern Conference/Larry Brown' type defense.

Also, we have 2 1st rd picks (one from Phx and it's not protected) this yr and 3 2nd rd picks. I'd like to package those and bring in a vet and I want a better defensive center. I hate Krstic on defense. The defensive system is so great and understanding everyone has that he always does get to the spot, but then he just gets dunked on. He doesn't stand in like Nick does and draw the charge (2nd in the NBA in that), nor does he have the athleticism or physicality of Ibaka to really block or give a good contest. He hits his jumpers though.

People who don't watch the Thunder need to stop suggesting we trade Jeff Green though, especially to bring in dudes like Bosh.

Tough schedule to end the season though. We literally have every playoff team in the West at least once and most twice, 1nce at our place and 1nce at their's

I'm disappointed Presti didn't make a run at Camby or Haywood before the trade deadline.

Could've used Etan Thomas' expiring plus the Suns' pick to get one of those two.

People who don't watch the Thunder need to stop suggesting we trade Jeff Green though, especially to bring in dudes like Bosh.
the thunder will not take the next step at been elite with out having a big man downlow, jeff green is the only young player that the thunder would trade and bring a bigman back.

I'm tryin to figure out what you mean by "dudes like Bosh" ...?

Chris Bosh + KD = Legitimate contender.

Not a coincidence that Jeff has played his best ball the past month plus and they've been on a roll.

That said you move him for a guy like Bosh, but you dont move him for a guy like David Lee.

I know what you're getting at tho DatzNasty....he's just a winner. Cliche, but true.

They're playing great, exciting young team with a really great future.

With that in mind, I'd be impressed and surprised if they can win in the 1st round of the playoffs. Their turnaround has been impressive without a doubt, but inexperience I think will hurt come playoff time, although I won't put it past them.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

I'm disappointed Presti didn't make a run at Camby or Haywood before the trade deadline.

Could've used Etan Thomas' expiring plus the Suns' pick to get one of those two.

I was too. Don't forget we also have Harpring's contract at over 6 mil which we acquired expressly to facilitate a trade.

And I disagree with Durant and Bosh. They're fairly redundant for one, but we need Jeff Green and his defense and overall "glue guy" stuff he brings. He defends any position for us and routinely just makes winning plays, some of which don't show up in the stats or make highlights. That's usually a euphemism for when guys suck, but not with Jeff. There was that stretch before the all star break where he had game winning defensive stops in 4 straight games.

Looking at playoff matchups, as long as we stay out of the 8 which is away from the Lakers, I think we at least push the series to 6. If we do get LA though, I am going to make a killing reselling tickets though.
laugh.gif
I guess the Jazz, Nuggets, Mavs, Lakers is priority of who I'd prefer we play. Still won't be favored or expected to come out, but like I said just don't get embarassed, work hard this summer, come back next season and make another step. You don't just not be in the playoffs then win the title the next yr.

Obviously the big thing will be to see if these guys can stay together long enough to grow as a team and not get disillusioned with promises of more shots, more money, "better market," and increased role. Everybody is about where they should be. Maybe in the future, James steps into the starter at 2 but other than that, everyone fits into their nice perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom