Lets FURTHER Discuss The Brilliance Of Nasir Jones. Example 2: "Project Windows"

As Previously Seen In Example 1: "Revolutionary Warfare"

NaS, obviously no stranger to spitttin AMAZING verses... But that sometimes works as a double edged sword, and causes MANY of his GREATEST verses to fly under the radar (especially if they're on an album that pretty much SUCKS BALLS)

Yo, if this piano's the cake then my words are the candles
Light it up, make a wish, and them angels will grant you
Impatient once tried, but in those angels and bamboo
they lit it up, *puff* *puff*, hit it up, *puff*
Now they dismantled, think the whole world is crazy, got a 9
watch where you walk, 2 dollar fine, sign of the times here in New York
Hire Satan, United Nations quietly taken, toll on your soul
take it or leave it, just my evaluation
Stack loot and guns, teach the girls karate, school your sons not to hate
but to stay awake, cus the scars a razor make is nothin' in comparison
to the gas left on this whole mass, if we don't get it controlled fast
might as well be, laughin' with Malcolm X's assassin as we die slow
perishin', brain dead from a Erickson
Words are the medicine, two teaspoons for goons
a cup of it for those thuggin' it, y'all sing the tune

This has ALWAYS been one of my FAV NaS verses, it rarely gets mentioned amungst his GREATEST, but clearly it belongs in that elite group...

2nd verse is almost an extension of what he spit on the 2nd verse to "If I Ruled The World", as usual NaS comes through at a pivitol time to share with the hip hop nation his version of "street" knowledge

Yo, if this piano's the cake then my words are the candles
Light it up, make a wish, and them angels will grant you
Impatient ones tried, but in those angels and bamboo
they lit it up, *puff* *puff*, hit it up, *puff*
Now they dismantled

A perfect blend of soul & knowledge... Birthdays are something we all look foward to and or mark the time of the year by, "Project Windows" is the CAKE, NaS' words are the CANDLES, once the 2 combine and the music is listened to its another prayer or wish of ours being sent to OUR maker, whereever he (or she) may be. The flaw of human beings is our natural sense on impatience, just like the cat who blows his candles out too damn early... In this case the same faith being invested in angels shows the inability of some to weather through the hardships in life, therefore turning to drugs as many of OUR people do... In this case, angel dust (holmes
laugh.gif
)... They lit it up... Now their dismantled, life becomes a wreck.

think the whole world is crazy, got a 9
watch where you walk, 2 dollar fine, sign of the times here in New York
Hire Satan, United Nations quietly taken, toll on your soul
take it or leave it, just my evaluation

NaS always seems to have perfect timing when it comes to droppin knowledge, this is @ a time where some were in fear of Y2K, it also marked the ending of Bill Clinton's presidency... Focusing on the influence the UN was starting to have on our everyday lives, and the concern it was creating with many. This is amazing because less than 2 years later the US was attacked, another way for then president Bush to force the Patriot Act down our throats, thus giving the government more control over each and everyone one of us, and further reason to invade on our everyday privacy.

Stack loot and guns, teach the girls karate, school your sons not to hate
but to stay awake, cus the scars a razor make is nothin' in comparison
to the gas left on this whole mass, if we don't get it controlled fast
might as well be, laughin' with Malcolm X's assassin as we die slow
perishin', brain dead from a Erickson
Words are the medicine, two teaspoons for goons
a cup of it for those thuggin' it, y'all sing the tune

Self defense is a must, but its not just physical, its just as much mental... That mindstate is missing from todays youth, they're too caught up in the physical aspect of conflict, thinking a bigger or better weapon will make them a more effective force. The wool has been pulled over our eyes to a point we're arming up with weapons to harm one another when we should in fact be educating one another, bonding, and usuing that force against our REAL enemy... If we don't its as Brother Malcolm died in vane, and we are now siding with those triggermen, making our soceity as a whole brain dead.

The words of NaS and other soldiers of the struggle serve as the medicine, and a vital tool in exposing some of the self hate we all have towards one another...

The power of thespoken word.

Damn good post.
Self defense is a must, but its not just physical, its just asmuch mental... That mindstate is missing from todays youth, they're toocaught up in the physical aspect of conflict, thinking a bigger orbetter weapon will make them a more effective force. The wool has beenpulled over our eyes to a point we're arming up with weapons to harmone another when we should in fact be educating one another, bonding,and usuing that force against our REAL enemy.
It really is sad how that's been lost on these younger generations, and even on people from my own generation.
smh.gif

Nastradamus Is so underrated just cuz my man had a collabo with Ginuwine. Nobody gives him respect for dropping to solid albums in one year.

Thris thread is appreciated. Nas is GOAT IMO. I think anybody else would've gotten props for dropping Nastradamus.

Nice thread HOTR.

What I don't understand is how everyone discredits Nastradumas as being his weakest album. I love Nastradamus. I think he took that commercial route because he had too. He capitalized on his success like any other MC would've did yet he ate criticism for that..

One of my favorite lines: "perishin', brain dead from a Erickson"

He basically acknowledged the fact that with cell phones becoming increasingly popular at the time, that the risk of cancer from a cell phone was evident. Nas knew this years ahead of anybody else..
smokin.gif

Great song, good album.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

He basically acknowledged the fact that with cell phones becoming increasingly popular at the time, that the risk of cancer from a cell phone was evident. Nas knew this years ahead of anybody else..
smokin.gif

Great song, good WACK album.
My pops used to ALWAYS say cell phones give you cancer... We wasn't allowed to have a microwave for the SAME reason, I used to think my old man was losing it... He's a conspiracy theroist type cat... But I guess he knew what he was talkin bout afterall

thats still some noided %!@!... i woulda been pissed havin no microwave... sneakin next door to heat my %!@! up lmfao

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

smokin.gif

Great song, good WACK album.
My pops used to ALWAYS say cell phones give you cancer... We wasn't allowed to have a microwave for the SAME reason, I used to think my old man was losing it... He's a conspiracy theroist type cat... But I guess he knew what he was talkin bout afterall

Harlem I knew you would show up. Always waiting for a Nas argument.

Used to wake up to this song everyday in 99 after it came out, without fail. (had the bootleg version before the album dropped)

One of my favorite Nas tracks.

Chains and top locks get ripped off hinges
doors kicked off, drunks stag off smirnoff, wipe your beard off
Crippled dope fiends in wheelchairs stare
vision blurry, cus buried deep in they mind are hidden stories
Bet he's a mirror image of that 70's era
He's finished for the rest of his life, 'til he fades out
The liquor store workers miss him but then it plays out
so many ways out the hood but no signs say out
Mental slavehouse where gats go off, I show off

These bars right here do it for me every... single... time...
smh.gif

My Granddad used to tell me not to be in front of the microwave while something was in there. I thought it was just him
laugh.gif

Great thread for a great song.

Nastradamus is his worst album, but there is a solid amount of great songs on it.

for a class, i did an analysis on the original version of "project windows" and i touched on many of the topics you did.. the original is pretty much the original but with a much more simple/rough version of the beat, no hook and the last verse stops at "every night the same melody, hell sounded so heavenly." i'd post it but i know how NT is with "walls of text."

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Chains and top locks get ripped off hinges
doors kicked off, drunks stag off smirnoff, wipe your beard off
Crippled dope fiends in wheelchairs stare
vision blurry, cus buried deep in they mind are hidden stories
Bet he's a mirror image of that 70's era
He's finished for the rest of his life, 'til he fades out
The liquor store workers miss him but then it plays out
so many ways out the hood but no signs say out
Mental slavehouse where gats go off, I show off

These bars right here do it for me every... single... time...
smh.gif

I swear B
pimp.gif
Like how many rappers could write like that? Like ever?

*+%! is 100 percent pure poetry B...

He's the greatest...

and for the record this version is better...and should have been on the album...

Originally Posted by Dapper D

I swear B
pimp.gif
Like how many rappers could write like that? Like ever?

*+%! is 100 percent pure poetry B...

He's the greatest...

and for the record this version is better...and should have been on the album...

Thank you my dude.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

That's the version I had. Far better in my opinion. Raw.

This song is definitely amazing. But I like the original version without Ron Isley much better. It was so much more Nas. The released version was too meant for radio. But otherwise still an amazing song.

Originally Posted by jc619er

This song is definitely amazing. But I like the original version without Ron Isley much better. It was so much more Nas. The released version was too meant for radio. But otherwise still an amazing song.

U buggin B...Ron Isley made it feel more soulful

Back
Top Bottom