Let's take a trip down memory, lane at the cemetary...

17,896
781
Joined Jan 20, 2006
Code:
Rain grey skies, seems at the end of everyyoung black life is this line, "Damn - HIM ALREADY?!Such a good kid," got us pourin Henn' alreadyLiquor to the curb for my, _'s up aboveWhen it, cracks through the pavement that's my way of sendin loveSo, give Big a hug, tell Aaliyah I said "Hi"'Til the next time I see her, on the other sideHe was just some thug that, caught some slugsAnd we loved him cause, in him we, saw some of usHe walked like ussss, talked like ussssHis back against the wall, %@@%@ fought like us - DAMN!!!
 
42,250
25,916
Joined Dec 25, 2003
Mike was still crazy out there running the streets
Had his old reliable with thirty-eight gun in his reach
It's been fourteen years, him and Isis ain't speak
He running around like life's a peach, 'til one day
he approached this thug that, had a mean mug
And it looked so familiar that he called him "Young Cuz"
Told him, get off the strip but the boy ain't budge
Instead he pulled out a newer thirty-eight snub
He clearly had the drop but the boy just paused
There was somethin in this man's face he knew he seen before
It's like, lookin in the mirror seeing hisself more mature
And he took it as a sign from the almighty Lord
You know what they say about he who hesitates in war
He who hesitates is lost
He can't explain what he saw before his picture went blank
The old man didn't think he just followed his instinct
Six shots into his kin, out of the gun
_s be a father, you're Killing your son
Six shots into his kin, out of the gun
_s be a father, you're Killing your sons










Great song.
 
2,706
14
Joined May 3, 2003
As a youth, i didn't really "get" this song.

As a grown up, and seeing what we do to each other....what a song.
 
63,729
73,179
Joined Jan 2, 2010
Momma ain't strong enough to raise no boy, what's his father name?
Shorty never knew him, though he had his blood in him
Hot temper, momma said he act just like her husband
Daddy never f with him, so the streets raised him

Six shots into his kid, out of the gun
_ be a father, you Killing your sons


So Real
. Love the way Jay broke this song down in Decoded.
 
17,896
781
Joined Jan 20, 2006
Originally Posted by Taj gibson

Isis liked this broadway life

She like the Gucci sneakers, The Red, Green, & White...

Originally Posted by HipHopDoc09


Hov shoulda flexed his storytelling muscle more often in his career.
Songs like this piss me off even more when I look at his catalog... but that's for another thread
 
2,132
10
Joined Sep 17, 2010
Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by Taj gibson


Hov shoulda flexed his storytelling muscle more often in his career.
Songs like this piss me off even more when I look at his catalog... but that's for another thread

Hov doesn't tell stories now? Or doesn't tell the kind of stories you want to hear?

Good track by him.
 
17,896
781
Joined Jan 20, 2006
He put his faith in a, 38 in his waist
But when you live by the gun you die by the same fate
End up, Dead Before 38 and uhhh
Thats The Life Of Us Raised By A Winter
ITS A COLD WORLD!!!


Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by Taj gibson


Hov shoulda flexed his storytelling muscle more often in his career.
Songs like this piss me off even more when I look at his catalog... but that's for another thread

Hov doesn't tell stories now? Or doesn't tell the kind of stories you want to hear?

Good track by him.
I'm really not trying to go there right now G... I'm really in a Pro Shawn mood let me enjoy this right now Charlie.
  
 

put em up

Banned
3,978
11
Joined Apr 21, 2009
Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Mike was still crazy out there running the streets
Had his old reliable with thirty-eight gun in his reach
It's been fourteen years, him and Isis ain't speak
He running around like life's a peach, 'til one day
he approached this thug that, had a mean mug
And it looked so familiar that he called him "Young Cuz"
Told him, get off the strip but the boy ain't budge
Instead he pulled out a newer thirty-eight snub
He clearly had the drop but the boy just paused
There was somethin in this man's face he knew he seen before
It's like, lookin in the mirror seeing hisself more mature
And he took it as a sign from the almighty Lord
You know what they say about he who hesitates in war
He who hesitates is lost
He can't explain what he saw before his picture went blank
The old man didn't think he just followed his instinct
Six shots into his kin, out of the gun
_s be a father, you're Killing your son
Six shots into his kin, out of the gun
_s be a father, you're Killing your sons










Great song.
one of the greatest verses ive ever heard.
  
 
2,132
10
Joined Sep 17, 2010
Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

He put his faith in a, 38 in his waist
But when you live by the gun you die by the same fate
End up, Dead Before 38 and uhhh
Thats The Life Of Us Raised By A Winter
ITS A COLD WORLD!!!


Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE


Songs like this piss me off even more when I look at his catalog... but that's for another thread

Hov doesn't tell stories now? Or doesn't tell the kind of stories you want to hear?

Good track by him.
I'm really not trying to go there right now G... I'm really in a Pro Shawn mood let me enjoy this right now Charlie.
  

You make it sound like this deep, complicated internal conflict doe
But I gotcha.
 
17,896
781
Joined Jan 20, 2006
It really is Bruh. As much as I love him as an artist, there are moments where I'm completely disgusted by him as an artist.

He honestly has more talent as an artist than any rapper but he refuses to tap into all of it. Very Very Frustrating.

But this is one of those rare moments in which everything came together for him IMO.

The Wittyness, The Lyrical Sharpness, The Flow, The Presentation, The Depth... It really was PERFECT.
 
610
10
Joined Jul 11, 2007
^

"If skills sold, truth be told
I'd probably be,
Lyrically, Talib Kweli..."

I feel you though.. when Hov liters gems like this throughout his catalogue, it makes it really hard on the consumer... like here is one of the illest storytelling songs ever created, all types of perfection, and it resides on a CD that is 48.4% filler.
 
3,900
20
Joined May 11, 2009
Originally Posted by LB81986

^

"If skills sold, truth be told
I'd probably be,
Lyrically, Talib Kweli..."

I feel you though.. when Hov liters gems like this throughout his catalogue, it makes it really hard on the consumer... like here is one of the illest storytelling songs ever created, all types of perfection, and it resides on a CD that is 48.4% filler.
This
 
2,132
10
Joined Sep 17, 2010
Cake, for every person on this message board (myself included) that stans for this track, there are prolly 20 out there who literally could give a damn it.
Can you possibly see where that could be an obstacle for a mainstream artist? If he were white and had a daughter name Hallie, not so much...but that's a topic for another thread of my own
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now