Lets talk about Jim Jones/Jonestown/cults (Not the rapper)

For the record, this isn't about Mr. Ballin' so if you came here for that you can go head and hit the back button. (Although Dipset is like a cult
laugh.gif
)

Alright. There's a lot I want to say, but I'm not going to risk writing a long and not one person read it.

But every once in a while, I'll do some research on a topic that I'm not that familiar with. If you don't wanna read this whole post I'llunderstand but there's a few comments that I'll highlight at the end.

Today I decided to look into the Jim Jones guy. I'll admit, all I knew in the past is that he rounded up a bunch of crazy people, and convinced them todrink purple kool-aid. I'll also admit that I let my own ignorance convince me that these people were white, without even having any knowledge on thepeople.

Well when I found out that the majority of his congregation/followers were black, I couldn't believe it. I guess I let the Waco TX, and the Heaven'sgate stigma stay in my brain.

So I asked myself, what in the hell would make all of these Blacks follow a lunatic like Jones.

After a little more research, I started to realize that poverty was the catalyst that led people to believe in Jones Ideals.

He had these people believing that they would be living in an egalitarian society where their needs would be forever met.

It made me think that the conditions in America were partially to blame. True enough this was the true definition of deviant behavior, but sometimes it takesdeviant behavior to make the general population realize something is terribly wrong.

But I'm really trying to understand how intelligent people can be brainwashed by a lisping, conning, drug addict like thisman.

I listened to the last speech that Jones gave his followers. I guess this is known as the Death Tape. He was talking straightnon-sense, and only one person stood up and said that she did not want to die. Not that she was afraid to die, but that she wasn't ready to die. She wasshunned by the rest of the people, and I guess she eventually gave up.

The Death Speech

Lastly, I'm wondering, if you all refer to this as a Mass-Suicide, or a Mass-Murder? The children were the first ones todrink the poison, and in the video you can here them crying and screaming. That's murder to me.

People want to be a part of something.

He played the fear and insecurities of some weak-minded individuals.

I seen a really good documentary on "Jonestown" on the Discovery channel a while back.

He mainly targeted lower class ppl because they were more willing to accept his propaganda.

I never knew this. Thanks for the information now I'm going to do some research on it. And I agree with you, the rough times and the promise of not dealingwith any of it anymore must have been the reason why people listened to Jones.

Originally Posted by Rifle Jordan

Yeah, I think some of them may have been weak. Hell, one could say they were all weak and have a good argument. A part of me agrees, but then again, apart of me sees a group of people who had lost all hope, and felt as if what they were doing prior to the suicide, would not only make life better forthemselves, but for those who would follow in their shoes.

I don't know it just bugs me out. It's hard as hell to find 1000+ people and just claim that they are all weak and lost. Something made them thatway, and not just the crazy leader.
Am I the only one who didn't know that the victims were majority black?

Co-Sign!

I haven't read/studied a lot of the Jonestown massacre but I (this is my personal opinion) believe he preyed on people that were vulnerable notweak minded. I'm sure he found peoples most inner fears and insecurities and exploited them to his benefit.

Originally Posted by Used to be Rich

Originally Posted by Rifle Jordan

No, I did not know that also. Contrary to that when I saw a documentary on the Waco, TX Siege.. I was surprised to see an ASIAN follower
smh.gif
tired.gif

Those type of men pray on weak minded people. People that might be social outcasts or do not feel they have a place in society. He fills their head full ofnonsense and they fall for it.

On another point, I went to the David Koresh location in Waco like a week after it burned down. Still smelt like dead bodies and stuff.

ESPN just did a story on his son and about what went on in Jonestowne, but they linked it through basketball...

It was pretty crazy, but nice story that they did...

his son played varsity basketball and football in our league, the WCAL. he was friggin raw at both. he plays basketball for USD.

Originally Posted by pinoyXboi

his son played varsity basketball and football in our league, the WCAL. he was friggin raw at both. he plays basketball for USD.
Not Jim Jones' son, but his grandson.

very typical of cults, prey on the poor, low self esteem or people that need to be accepted....that's why there's alot of church groups that recruit incollege, easy targets...

some of the keys to recruiting and brainwashing:

1. overly nice behavior
2. retreats in the middle of nowhere....gives you the sense of isolation, put more fear into you
3. feed little food, prevents brain from thinking straight

we learned this in high school.... how to avoid cults in college.....

Originally Posted by S23A

Originally Posted by pinoyXboi

Not Jim Jones' son, but his grandson.

Correct, it's his grandson.

What he did to those little Children and Women. If you see the actual video of all the bodies laying there, it was a massacre. Jim Jones was Pentecostal,they're nuts.

yea i did research on this over the summer along with other cults like the one where they put bags over their heads to hop on the comet. @%+* is sad

His grandson, Rob Jones, graduated a couple years after I did. As stated before, he hoops at U. of San Diego now.

just watched the video....i knew about the subject matter but curiosity made me watch it.....video was creepy....I can;t get the images out of my head........the guy and his followers were totally paranoid, completely out of touch with reality. they actually thought the world was out to get them so much that deathwas the only "escape".... it didn;t even seem like they believed in any kind of afterlife or better life for their souls. they were just totallyconvinced that this world was not worth living in.

there was one part when one of the followers was telling the lady that was questioning the suicide that without jim jones, she was "alreadydead"....i mean that;s just totally messed up....

Originally Posted by vrp32tl

Co-Sign!

I haven't read/studied a lot of the Jonestown massacre but I (this is my personal opinion) believe he preyed on people that were vulnerable not weak minded. I'm sure he found peoples most inner fears and insecurities and exploited them to his benefit.

Explain the difference between vulnerable and weak minded.

He was charismatic and was able to make them believe he could help their impoverished situations. As the guy above stated, the isolation and lack of food ledto their easily being manipulated.

Originally Posted by Skip2MyLou23

Originally Posted by vrp32tl

Co-Sign!

I haven't read/studied a lot of the Jonestown massacre but I (this is my personal opinion) believe he preyed on people that were vulnerable not weak minded. I'm sure he found peoples most inner fears and insecurities and exploited them to his benefit.

Explain the difference between vulnerable and weak minded.

i see what u mean by this statement because they could have been both vulnerable and weak minded. but i think vulnerable is more of a situational thinglike maybe they were poor or went through a tragic event.

Back
Top Bottom