Life Lock vol. Identity Theft Protection

My sister just got her bag stolen out of her car while she step in to get something. Inside her bag was her social, her baby's social, and her debit card. She calls the bank and they tell her that the card has already been used at a Chevron gas station a few blocks from our home. I know its common down here for thief to go to gas stations to fill up but its also tax season and I know about the scams that go on with identity theft. I'm curious to know has anyone ever used Life Lock? Or any other identity theft service they can recommend? 
The braveryof  some people have to do some things like this in broad day light is amazing.

Update - She went to the gas station where the card was used and she ran into the public service aide that was just assist us. He was on his way out. She found her bag inside of the garbage. The socials were still there. Although I'm pretty sure the numbers are written down. The reviewed the footage and was able to get a picture but could not see the plate on the car.

Why did she have her baby's social security card on her? That # should have been memorized and the card should be under lock/key somewhere. That REALLY sucks bro.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Why did she have her baby's social security card on her? That # should have been memorized and the card should be under lock/key somewhere. That REALLY sucks bro.

Why people carry that type of sensitive info is beyond me. I carry 3 things, license, debit, and phone. All can easily be replaced.

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

Why people carry that type of sensitive info is beyond me. I carry 3 things, license, debit, and phone. All can easily be replaced.
This

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

This

Rip to their identities
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

This

Same. I don't know how or why people walk around with passports and social security cards.

Hopefully it was just small time since the way you described the crime. Also, you would need more than just an SSN to do some damage but it's still a start. Find a good credit monitoring service and use it for a few months. You can always call the big three credit companies and have them but a block on new credit accounts without contacting you first. I believe it's a fraud alert.

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

Hopefully it was just small time since the way you described the crime. Also, you would need more than just an SSN to do some damage but it's still a start. Find a good credit monitoring service and use it for a few months. You can always call the big three credit companies and have them but a block on new credit accounts without contacting you first. I believe it's a fraud alert.

The people who took still have her license and debit(cancelled). A police report was filed so I think if anything happens using her name she's pretty much covered. I looked up Life Lock prices and for a year it would be about $110.

My identity has been done gotten stolen.
Some mexican person used my social security number to gain access to this country
laugh.gif

Went to SS office, they said they couldn't do anything about it. So I just monitor my sterling credit score just in case dude/chick tries something fishy,

Originally Posted by Swag Odie

My identity has been done gotten stolen.
Some mexican person used my social security number to gain access to this country
laugh.gif

Went to SS office, they said they couldn't do anything about it. So I just monitor my sterling credit score just in case dude/chick tries something fishy,

Damb, do you even live near the border? 

Keep your important papers at home, the other stuff can be replaced and a debit card is protected by your bank. SS cards on person unless needed for the DMV or something like that which requires official papers is just plain dumb, sorry. Never tried it but my mom uses something similar, and paid off having it at one point, so never a bad idea to protect yourself.

IIRC the founder of lifelock ran ads a few years back on TV displaying his SS# claiming his service was so good no one could "steal" it. Unfortunately for him someone proved him wrong lol

Call all 3 bureaus, add extended fraud alerts/hawk alerts to all to contact her before extending credit and/or add a credit freeze to account. Done w/o paying lifelock.

Back
Top Bottom