Lifting at the Gym by yourself?

just make friends with the regulars. be on that first name basis with cats there.

...also, if you dont feel comfortable asking for a spot, do a pull day
Not sure if srs 
laugh.gif
 that's terrible advice. 

Just ask for a spot, use the Smith machine, do rest-pause, dropsets ...there's a million ways you can make gains without a spotter. YOU control the weight, not the other way around.

Last edited:
If I get asked to spot someone I have no problem doing it, and if I need a spot I have no problem asking for it.

- Get a new friend
- lift the weight that inside your comfort zone and go up slowly
- use the smith machine instead of going free weight
- ask someone else at the gym to spot you

if none of these these things works for you, just give up on lifting weights because its clearly not for you :smh:

from experience, just be careful asking some random dude to spot you. alot of people dont know how to spot correctly or just stand there and watch you struggle. look for someone who looks like they know what theyr doing 

pretty much always. i prefer it. i have a bunch of friends an associates there if i need a spot, but besides that, i like zoning out and working alone. i go to a dark place when i lift, it's hard to maintain that when you're talking.
Exactly. Nothing better than throwing on headphones and zoning the F out. I basically turn into a madman and turn sadistic whenever I'm in the zone. Absolute best feeling

I love working out solo.

Having someone there with me slows me down.

If I need a spot, I'll just ask someone who's around.

just make friends with the regulars. be on that first name basis with cats there...
get used to working out alone depending on someone else to be there with you will just interfere with your program cuz you will always have to deal with conflicting schedules or ppl just getting  lazy, my workout partner is my ipod... also if your affraid of the barbell use dumbells cuz you can just drop them to the side once you fatigue also i gained alot of my strength by using dumbells... kettlebells are awesome too but most gyms dont have them so i bring my own... ***my main advice to you is NEVER SACRIFICE WEIGHT FOR FORM do what you can and sure your form is right, thats how you get hurt and you dont even work the muscles properly... i see this soooo much at the gym and i cant stand it:. 

Working Out Solo: Pros- Own Pace, Zone Out To Your iPod, Don't Waste Time Talking. Getting Straight To Business. Con- No Spotter (if to shy to ask), get lazy end the workout early. You make or break your session. 

With A Partner (thats a gym veteran) : Pro- Pushes you, corrects your form, doesn't dog the workouts, straight to business, trusted spotter that knows how to spot. Knows your weakness and helps you perfect them. Con- conflict of gym schedules at times.

With a partner (thats a straight ROOKIE) Pros- Shows people at the gym you have friends. Cons- Oh boy, Doesn't know how to spot. Talks BS about random things, killing your workout vibe, Lifts heavy, which everyone looks at because he has the worst form anyone has laid eyes on and risks a possible injury. Tries to look cool with a tank top to show off his tribal on his spongebob squarepants arm and wears nike elite socks with some lebrons and has a physique of a 11 year old boy. After 30 mins INTO the workout he's down to call it a day and the first one to hit the smoothie bar and pats himself on the back & rewards himself buy paying an extra $2.50 with a double scoop of protein in his smoothie. 

All In All, learn to become independent. Make working out a hobby not a chore. If You make it a hobby, you become passionate about it and could put your time and energy into and it will be nothing to you because it's something you enjoy. If you make it become a Chore, Chores = Labor which are horrible and become a hassle and tend to be pushed off to the side. 

Last edited:
I'm the same as most on here. Before when I started going I'd always go with a friend. It was nice having small talk and comparing people at the gym that look like celebs :lol: good laughs and he'd have some different workouts. It was nice to know if my lifting technique needed some tweaking or being able to push with a spotter but now I enjoy going by myself. No need for spotters I just do what I can and slowly move up in weights. Got my headphones on and zone out. I'm on my own pace. I've ran into people that like to chat with me at the gym and I hate it. I came to the gym to work out not have a bunch of small talk.

Loners in here justifying working out by yourself and using words like "dolo" to try to make not having lots of friends sound cool.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
You'll get over it after a few visits. I was like that years back when I started.

Only time you really need a partner is chest days.

Other than that, you dont really need spotters. Squats maybe.

IMO, doing pull ups with the weight belt. Is better than bench pressing all by yourself.

Back
Top Bottom