Long Beach, CA - Car crushed on judge's order [VIDEO]

LONG BEACH - The souped-up car of an 18-year-old Lakewood street racer met the end of the road Wednesday, weeks after its owner was arrested in Long Beach for having a vehicle with an illegal engine.
Wednesday's crushing of Clifford Sung's 1995 Honda Civic hatchback - which contained a B18 CRI engine from Japan - was the first in Long Beach's history, said City Prosecutor Tom Reeves.

A number of deaths in and around Long Beach in the past few years have been attributed to street racing and the city is aggressively pursuing racers who flout the law, Reeves said.

"We have enough mayhem on our streets without illegal street racing," he said.

Sung was arrested by Long Beach Police
Department officers on Oct. 15 after they noticed his Honda's illegally modified exhaust system.
Once Sung was stopped, they saw other signs of illegal street racing, including a fiberglass hood and a sway bar on the back of the car, said Officer Brian Nystedt. A peek under the hood revealed the vehicle identification number had been chipped off the transmission, which is a sure sign of a stolen part, Nystedt added.

Sung was arrested on suspicion of multiple vehicle code violations, which could have been filed as a misdemeanor or felony, depending on a defendant's prior criminal history, said Auto Theft Detective Johnny Miyasaki.

Miyasaki took over the investigation after Sung's arrest and worked with the city prosecutor's office to secure a no contest plea from Sung - who had no prior convictions - to a misdemeanor charge two weeks ago.

In exchange for the plea, Sung was sentenced to probation and the judge ordered the illegally modified car to be destroyed.
Despite the loss of his car - which experts estimated to be worth $10,000 to $12,000 in purchased and stolen auto parts - Sung has been arrested a second time.

20071115_123632_13_300.jpg

His latest arrest for felony auto theft occurred on Nov. 8, just one
week after he settled the street-racing case in court, Miyasaki said.
"The attorney called and asked me if we could work out a deal," Miyasaki said, laughing. "I said `No, I don't think so."'

Former street racer Matt Lee - who talks about the dangers of the illegal sport in honor of a friend who was killed in 1998 - estimated the cost of Sung's soon-to-be squashed engine and other car parts at about $8,000 to $10,000, while the car itself was worth just $2,000.

The lightweight Hondas are very popular because they can accelerate quickly on short runs. Most racers don't go much faster than 100 to 120 miles per hour, Lee explained.

"It's not about how fast you can go ... it's about how fast you can go before the next stop light," he said, standing in a Gardena tow yard surrounded by reporters and camera crews there to capture the image of the car's destruction.

The pressure exerted by the "pancake" on the little blue and black hatchback caused all the car's windows to shatter and the glass to rain down onto the hot blacktop. The loud buzz of the hydraulic crusher almost drowned out the metallic grunts and squeals that emanated from the Civic's frame and engine block as they were crumpled into a nearly unrecognizable mass.

Normally, when a car is crushed, the engine and other parts are stripped out, Miyasaki said. Because this car was ordered by the court to be destroyed, nothing could be salvaged, he said.

The only items Sung could have had returned to him were the flashy rims - which he had paid for - but his attorney declined the offer, Miyasaki said.

"When I saw him in jail last week I asked him why he didn't want his rims," Miyasaki said. "He told me that he wanted them, but his dad wouldn't let him."

Yo, I feel for dude, that hurt me to see dude car get crush. I didn't even know they crush your car for illeal parts, I justthought for caught street racing, damn. Dude should of stuck with a b18c1...

Reminds me of that one time where someone posted some dude seeeing his car crushed and crying to his mom.

That chick has some big ol' JUGGS! She can crush me with those anyday.
laugh.gif
What's really lame though is that they didn't even catch it in the actof racing - just because it had an illegal motor shouldn't mean it needs to get demolished.
ohwell.gif

This is why I just dress up the car now. Too much trouble driving a car that is heavily modified to go fast in California.

My younger cousin's are friends with this dude.
eek.gif
roll.gif

I did not expect this clicking this thread.
laugh.gif

Dude made the deal, and a week later gets caught for felony auto theft.
laugh.gif

Wow.

wow.. he wasn't caught for street racing, just having illegal parts, such as a FIBERglass hood and a strut bar.

the judge is dumb as hell

Once Sung was stopped, they saw other signs of illegal street racing, including a fiberglass hood and a sway bar on the back of the car,

that is a BS reason to pull this guy over...It seriously pisses me off that Hondas, modded, are sterotyped into this whole street racer image..I have a carbonfiber hood and sway bar on my car, does that mean I race???.It really pisses me off, when i see Ferraris and Lambos zoom past me on freeways at 100+ and copsare no where to be seen, but oh wait, look at that Civic with an exhaust, lets pull him over, ask him to pop the hood...

this situation is different, but it still proves my point that this guy was made an example. I am not condoning street racing, but you will never hear how moststreet racing takes place at night it vacant areas...the street racing stories that they "FOCUS" on take place during the day by IDIOT drivers.....istill hate LAPD with all my guts...

Angel

yeah I saw this...not going to do much since kids own the road and got places to go! and it aint even the rice rockets...its the hoopdee whose muffler isdraggin on the pavement too....

So they crush a car with limited and expensive parts, which makes said parts even more rare and expensive, which leads to greaterdemand, which leads to more motive for theft. Brilliant.

California FTL.
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

i ain't really into the whole modified car racing thing, but crushing dude's car was HELLA unnecessary...the judge went out of his way to prove a point

Originally Posted by Berkeley Boy

i ain't really into the whole modified car racing thing, but crushing dude's car was HELLA unnecessary...the judge went out of his way to prove a point
I have NO CLUE about cars whatsoever, but according to the article, it contained an illegal engine from Japan.

If that's the case, maybe it wasn't street legal?

If so, yeah Judge wanted to make a point.

I'm still
laugh.gif
@ the fact he copped a plea deal and a week later hegets caught for something even more serious.

why not give it to a worthy in need family?

atleast the tires.

we are some wasteful people i swear

that judge is going to get screwed...why, because he doesn't have the power to crush cars with illegal engines, EPA or NHTSA does....Goverment agenciesi might add..

plus, that was an illegal seizure...well, a good lawyer would argue that ...

Angel

******ed.

but i'm not surprised.

long beach police are some pricks when it comes to imports.

that was a bit extreme, making an example and owning dudes vehicle like that
but he has a point, even though crushing it is OD

I live about 5-10 min away from long beach. Few weeks ago I got pulled over because my tint was too dark, made me pop the hood and since my headers/intakeweren't carb legal, he wrote me up for emissions. Now I have to take it to the state ref. 2 before it gets cleared. Cop was a mad a-hole.
I'm not supposed 2 drive at all til I fix it, and if I do and get caught, my car gets impounded for a month.
But I was told that they could even impound it for sumn as simple as an intake or headers, just depends on the cop

Back
Top Bottom