Looking into getting a CREDIT CARD.. Any suggestions?

Right now all I have is a Visa debit card. I use it for all my purchases (yes I know I probably could have racked a boat load of awards with a credit card at this point, but better late than never) and have finally gotten around to looking for a credit card. On my short list of cards is the Blue Cash card from AMEX.

Here's basically what my monthly statement would look like:
Cell Phone bill
Groceries
Gas
Emergency Use

Any suggestions?

If your monthly statement would include emergancy use every time, you're gonna have a hard time...

Also... I'm looking to upgrade my cc... I have a Capitol One Visa Platinum card, but I want something with rewards and all that... Something worth having...
nerd.gif

Yeah, for the emergency use, I just put it in the column as a possible expense, but more than likely I'll rarely use it. And just thinking at the payments I'll have to make on the card monthly, I figure I'll only put 300-400 on the card a month.

AMEX Blue cash- If you spend >$6500 annually on it
Charles Schawb FIA/Bank of America- 2% cash back across the boards (all purchases)
Chase Freedom Visa Signature- 2-3% cashback on utilities, gas, groceries, etc.. and I think 6 out of the 15 listed categories per month you get close to 3% cashback on..

Discover rewards are crap, BoA crap, Citi are straight for certain sign up bonuses.. If you travel a lot look into cards catered frequent flyers/travelers. On the Chase card you can switch the rewards structure from cashback to flyer miles and so on.

So is Chase a good choice? My dad wants me to find a new cc and he'd help me if I need. I have Capital One now.

Look for lowest APR, and don't carry it with you. Add your interest charged on the card to you minimum payment. Don't miss payments.

How old are you? Do you have a stable job? Are you responsible enough to own a credit card?

Don't listen to the idiot who said pay the minimum each month.

Originally Posted by dream5hift

So is Chase a good choice? My dad wants me to find a new cc and he'd help me if I need. I have Capital One now.

Please stay away from Chase and Capital One like the plague.  Your best bet is to use cash and your debit card.  I have recently switched from using my credit card for purchases to strictly drawing directly from my account.  You will be amazed at how much less you spend when it's coming DIRECTLY from your wallet.  McDonalds did a study and concluded that customers spent 12% more when they used their credit card versus cash.

You will be amazed at how much less you spend when it's coming DIRECTLY from your wallet. McDonalds did a study and concluded that customers spent 12% more when they used their credit card versus cash.

This is pretty much what Ive done in the past. It made no sense to me to pay for something, and on top of that pay an extra rate when I could instead save and make that purchase later on.
At some point or another though youll have to build your credit up.

I just got my AMEX Blue Cash card and it's nice. I wanted something worth using and this came with a lower rate than my other cards.

However if you have no type of credit at all, it's gonna be tough getting a card anywhere and I've heard AMEX is especially tough.

If you do get one (any card - just look for a low interest rate and make sure you GET something for using it) let me give you a few pieces of advice I've always followed since I've had a CC (around 7 years)

• Keep your receipts and set cash aside for your bill each month (unless it's emergency use when you don't have the money) Don't spend it thinking you'll just have the money at the end of the month
  • Try to keep your balance below half your line of credit (my finance teacher said higher than half tends to start lowering your credit score)
  • Always make more than your minimum payments

Originally Posted by IYE2

You will be amazed at how much less you spend when it's coming DIRECTLY from your wallet. McDonalds did a study and concluded that customers spent 12% more when they used their credit card versus cash.

This is pretty much what Ive done in the past. It made no sense to me to pay for something, and on top of that pay an extra rate when I could instead save and make that purchase later on.
At some point or another though youll have to build your credit up.
ITA. I pay using cash/debit for everything. The first time I had a cc, I spent irresponsibly, and I never want to go back to that kind of behavior (though I do still have a cc that I make little purchases on and then pay off within the same week for the sake of my credit score).

So how you guys build up credit with no credit card?

I got my first credit card by applying for a Macys card. Had that for a month, purchased like 2 things, then Capital One sent me something saying I was pre-approved.

Now, I wanna get rid of my Capital One for something better. Those rates are
sick.gif

I got a credit card with my bank when I was 18.  They linked it to my checking account for overdraft protection, and proceeded to max it out on a mistake by the teller which hurt my credit for the next 7 years.  The only thing that you REALLY need credit for if your mortgage.  Everything else you can pay for with cash up front if only you are patient enough.  Most kids already have student loans, so that will be their best bet at building their credit since the average student leaves with over $23,000 in student loan debt.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

I got a credit card with my bank when I was 18.  They linked it to my checking account for overdraft protection, and proceeded to max it out on a mistake by the teller which hurt my credit for the next 7 years.  The only thing that you REALLY need credit for if your mortgage.  Everything else you can pay for with cash up front if only you are patient enough.  Most kids already have student loans, so that will be their best bet at building their credit since the average student leaves with over $23,000 in student loan debt.
i applied for a BoA student cc and got decline because i didn't have enough credit history
eyes.gif

is there any other way to build up credit?
what are the chances of me getting approved for an amex with no credit history?

For those without a credit history the easiest way to build it up is by getting a secured credit card.

I've been procrastinating on getting one, but from what I understand that is really the only way to start building credit up. Sucks that you have to have some of your money tied up to secure the credit, but it is what it

EDIT- This is a helpful link on trying to establish credit. https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit_cards/education/establish

Back
Top Bottom