**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Mozgov and Deng were just embarrassing overpays with a bunch of kids on the roster while the team was rebuilding. The Westbrook trade closed the team's championship window (at least until he is traded?).

AD and Bron's lack of health is what did that more than Russ, but sure. He wasn't here in 21 yet what happened? We looked great until Bron and AD got hurt.

July 29th 2021 was crazy for LA sports.

Lakers get Russ

Dodgers get Max Scherzer and Trea Turner.

Neither team won a chip but one looked much better than the other....

Just playing out a little hypothetical, Lakers never trade for Russ. Do the Buddy Heild deal keep KCP. AD still misses half the season and Bron misses the time he does, how exactly is that a championship window being still open? Our fortunes have been almost entirely dependent on whether or not AD is in a Laker uniform actually on the court in the Bron era. That's since he came in 19. Four seasons of evidence. Sure would the locker room have been better w/o Russ, of course. Would the chemistry have been better? Unequivocally. But to pinpoint he as the sole reason for us not being a contender anymore is a bit over the top. AD is the key. He always has been and always will be. Bron can put up all the numbers he wants to and it doesn't matter.

If somehow we acquire Myrie and AD is hurt the way he has been over the last couple seasons, we won't have a chance either.

AD and Bron's lack of health is what did that more than Russ, but sure. He wasn't here in 21 yet what happened? We looked great until Bron and AD got hurt.

Depth / defense got killed aswel by adding Russ.

I think the 21 roster would have made the play in this year even with Bron & AD missing the same amount of games.

But when healthy during the previous two seasons they kicked ***. Even in the rare games Bron/AD were healthy this past season, they weren't good enough because Brick is a bad fit and there was no depth because of the trade.

But when healthy during the previous two seasons they kicked ***. Even in the rare games Bron/AD were healthy this past season, they weren't good enough because Brick is a bad fit and there was no depth because of the trade.

Cool. Bring in Buddy Heild having his worst season shooting wise + still having KCP and the old guys plus no Nunn. How is that a championship window being open?

They killed a lot in 21 in large part cause they were both healthy to start the season where our schedule was easiest. Bron got hurt a couple weeks into the season last year. We started off 28-13 and ended 14-17 in 21. Bron got hurt early, then AD got hurt, then Bron got hurt again for a little then AD went down again. It was never an extended stretch they both were on the floor last season.

Last edited:
I was of the opinion the two stars (Bron/AD) and role players (Caruso/KCP/Schroder/etc) with Hield's shooting would've made the team even better than 2021.

I mean, did anyone really think the Suns were better than a healthy Lakers in 2020-21?

I was of the opinion the two stars (Bron/AD) and role players (Caruso/KCP/Schroder/etc) with Hield's shooting would've made the team even better than 2021.

I mean, did anyone really think the Suns were better than a healthy Lakers in 2020-21?

No, they were not until what happened though? Which is my point.

We've had 3 entirely different casts around our 2 stars, but one thing has remained consistent, if either one of them miss significant time, we suck and struggle. If that trend continues with or without Russ, the results will be the same.

Just playing out a little hypothetical, Lakers never trade for Russ. Do the Buddy Heild deal keep KCP. AD still misses half the season and Bron misses the time he does, how exactly is that a championship window being still open? Our fortunes have been almost entirely dependent on whether or not AD is in a Laker uniform actually on the court in the Bron era. That's since he came in 19. Four seasons of evidence. Sure would the locker room have been better w/o Russ, of course. Would the chemistry have been better? Unequivocally. But to pinpoint he as the sole reason for us not being a contender anymore is a bit over the top. AD is the key. He always has been and always will be. Bron can put up all the numbers he wants to and it doesn't matter.

If somehow we acquire Myrie and AD is hurt the way he has been over the last couple seasons, we won't have a chance either.

MVP MVP still out here trying to cape for Russ even after last year's debacle. Gotta love the perseverance :lol:

I think the championship window would have been open because if we had Buddy Hield, KCP and most likely Caruso we would have been able to thread water while Lebron and AD were out. Lebron and AD missed alot of time in 2020-21 but we were able to maintain at least make the playoffs (before AD got hurt again). Do we win the title if AD and Lebron are hurt but we could have made the playoffs and given ourselves a shot.

Last edited:

I think the championship window would have been open because if we had Buddy Hield, KCP and most likely Caruso we would have been able to thread water while Lebron and AD were out. Lebron and AD missed alot of time in 2020-21 but we were able to maintain at least make the playoffs (before AD got hurt again). Do we win the title if AD and Lebron are hurt but we could have made the playoffs and given ourselves a shot.

Not to mention POSITIVE trade assets (except maybe Hield who is neutral at best)

Title windows aren’t 1 year or bust. That’s been our downfall. Build over 2-3years. Every move should plan for next summer too

For example: Myles Turner. The reason why no contender has offered a first for him all Willy nilly is because a) he won’t be closing for you but more importantly B) you will be paying him near max money or somewhere in the 25 mill mark for a center who literally broke his foot last year. Hence why “trade da picks!” Crowd begging for turner Hield deal are dumb bc that would be a short sighted move unless you are ready to pay Myles that much money. Patience and one pick. Myles will prob go for a second rounder come deadline

For reference John Collins makes mid 20s and is a much better player than Turner and has ZERO market in trades

Hence why I’m for the kyrie deal bc assuming u believe in him, he sets us ip for 3-4 years

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom