Lowering the drinking age?

I would say either 19 or 20 only because neither age really serves a purpose... There just two ages that remind you that your old but not old enough.

Originally Posted by brooklynnyc3000

If you're old enough to join the military, then you're old enough to have a drink - stay thirsty my friends.

yup you can serve your country but you cant crack open a brewski

Originally Posted by youngmoney

If you're old enough to join the military, then you're old enough to have a drink - stay thirsty my friends.

Id love for either one of you explain why you think its ok.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Id love for either one of you explain why you think its ok.

ive been drinking since i was 16 and im still not 21 but i can honestly say the drinking age should be left at 21. i would always be the person to disadgee and say i wish the drinking age was lower but arent enough mature drinkers under 21 to balance it out, it would be chaos.

ive been drinking since i was 16 and im still not 21 but i can honestly say the drinking age should be left at 21. i would always be the person to disagree and say i wish the drinking age was lower but there arent enough mature drinkers under 21 to balance it out, it would be chaos.

ive been drinking since i was 16 and im still not 21 but i can honestly say the drinking age should be left at 21. i would always be the person to disagree and say i wish the drinking age was lower but arent enough mature drinkers under 21 to balance it out, it would be chaos.

ive been drinking since i was 16 and im still not 21 but i can honestly say the drinking age should be left at 21. i would always be the person to disagree and say i wish the drinking age was lower but there arent enough mature drinkers under 21 to balance it out, it would be chaos.

cause you're putting your life on the line
And when someone drinks alcohol and steps into their car, their putting their life, as well as mine, on the line.

Raise it.

I understand completely what your saying. Dude should be able to enjoy a nice cold one responsibly, but I don't think that should constitute him to being able to purchase alcohol because at the end of the day it will increase the number of deaths related to alcohol. Plus sometimes you can't control your actions when your drunk. That's why some stuff are not valid if you agreed to it when you weren't sober.Off topic though, I think if you are able to join the military you should be allowed to gamble at 18

I understand completely what your saying. Dude should be able to enjoy a nice cold one responsibly, but I don't think that should constitute him to being able to purchase alcohol because at the end of the day it will increase the number of deaths related to alcohol. Plus sometimes you can't control your actions when your drunk. That's why some stuff are not valid if you agreed to it when you weren't sober.Off topic though, I think if you are able to join the military you should be allowed to gamble at 18

And when someone steps into their car after drinking alcohol, everyones life is on the line.

Raise it.

laugh.gif

So what youre saying is that "putting your life on the line" = "legally able to drink"??

Unreal.

Rethink your strategy.

roll.gif

Originally Posted by neverflopped

well if lottery tickets are gambling then yeah you can, but if you mean all types of it, then yeah i agree, not to stray away from the original topic

laugh.gif

So what youre saying is that "putting your life on the line" = "legally able to drink"??

Unreal.

Rethink your strategy.

roll.gif
Well what do you think makes 21 so special that you're legally allowed to drink? 
Since someone is legally considered an adult at 18, why do they have to wait another three years before they can have a beer? If you think 18 year olds wouldn't be able to drink responsibly then that's pretty ignorant. If someone never tries alcohol until they're 21, they won't be able to control themselves and know they're limit just as much as an 18 year old would trying it for the first time. Three years difference when getting drunk for the first time wouldn't make a difference in what you do getting drunk, you and your body are not going to be able to handle it any differently. 

If anything, a lowered age would help teach people to hold their liquor and drink responsibly. There are still going to be drunk idiots and drunk drivers (unfortunately), but I don't think there will be a significant increase since most people under 21 can still get alcohol quiet easily, get into 21+ bars and clubs, etc.already. The only thing I think the lowered age would change is less people getting in trouble for having alcohol. Just like if they legalized weed, you wouldn't be having people getting locked up for it anymore but I don't think too many more people would smoke since anyone who really wants to smoke now can get it easily and isn't too worried about legal ramifications 

Originally Posted by miamin2

laugh.gif

Unreal.

Rethink your strategy.

roll.gif
Well what do you think makes 21 so special that you're legally allowed to drink? 
Since someone is legally considered an adult at 18, why do they have to wait another three years before they can have a beer? If you think 18 year olds wouldn't be able to drink responsibly then that's pretty ignorant. If someone never tries alcohol until they're 21, they won't be able to control themselves and know they're limit just as much as an 18 year old would trying it for the first time. Three years difference when getting drunk for the first time wouldn't make a difference in what you do getting drunk, you and your body are not going to be able to handle it any differently. 

If anything, a lowered age would help teach people to hold their liquor and drink responsibly. There are still going to be drunk idiots and drunk drivers (unfortunately), but I don't think there will be a significant increase since most people under 21 can still get alcohol quiet easily, get into 21+ bars and clubs, etc.already. The only thing I think the lowered age would change is less people getting in trouble for having alcohol. Just like if they legalized weed, you wouldn't be having people getting locked up for it anymore but I don't think too many more people would smoke since anyone who really wants to smoke now can get it easily and isn't too worried about legal ramifications 
I dont know why you quoted me because your response had nothing to do with what I was saying.

I dont know what age it should be but, it definitely should not be lowered from 21. As we age, it's a proven scientific fact that our brain matures and thus, we are able to make "smarter", more reasonable, decisions. Therefore, it doesnt make sense to lower it at all. Those who want to get it will regardless of the situation. Why have the entire society exposed to it by lowering it?

Well after looking at the thread with the 2-year old that smokes 40 cigs a day the drinking age should be 4
laugh.gif

but honestly it should stay at 21 because if we change it now there would be a whole mess of accidents and problems in communities everywhere

Another reason Europe has had it better/easier to control is that the majority of the citizens use public transportation while American teenagers can drive by 16.
So drunk driving isn't a big problem there as it is here.
Germany has the Autobahn, no limit freeway, but to get a license takes years (1-1and half) and costs between $1500-2000 Euros.

Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom