Lupe vs Roland Martin and DL Hughley feud

Apparently the latter two opinion shapers are upset with Lupe. For those who do not know, Lupe is against voting (there is a message behind this) and Roland and DL don't seem to understand it.

DL said this:

“They want to raise the age of social security from 65 to 68… Black men die at 67. Lupe Fiasco forgets that he’s going to be an old man when he’s looking for a social security check, and he dies right before he gets it,” Hughley stated.

“Young black men are going to listen to him, and they are the ones who have decisions made for them, decisions that they are not even involved in, which is silly to me,” he added. “There are more black men in prison then there were ever slaves. And it’s silly to me that people don’t want to have a hand in their future.”

We all know the messages behind Lupe's music, and it's apparent the DL doesn't listen to it. Because he wouldn't be saying something this foolish when you have people like Wackaflacka making music, most of which the demographic being young Black males. Whether you agree with Lupe or not, he wants young Black men to think and question authority like Black leaders that were killed by COINTELPRO. (Disclaimer: I am NOT comparing Lupe to the accomplishments of MLK and Malcolm X). If he was so concerned with all the messages getting to young Black men, then why is he taking is anger out on Lupe out of all people? Also, Lupe has never said that people shouldn't vote.

Then DL drops this gem.

Although Fiasco is often known for his socially conscious music and thought provoking rhymes, Hughley simply summed it as; “You can be bright as hell, but be dumb in the weight of the world. Obviously he hasn’t had life experiences yet.”

Has DL have even heard of Lupe Fiasco before the voting thing? He also challenged DL to putting up $50k to donate of their own money towards programs in the inner city, which DL hasn't commented on.

Then "Mr. Me Too" of race based politics Roland Martin had to put in his 2 cents. Mr. Martin is upset because Lupe has a position, an opinion, that is against his and the institution that he's on television to protect. So of course, because Lupe's opinion is "against the grain", he has to be shut down and discredited.

Twitter Match:

This should have an interesting debate. Please spare opinions of the quality of latest album, it isn't relevant towards this discussion.

voting doesnt matter

and voting will not get all the black men outta prison

I respect Lupe for calling these dudes we got too many grown *** black folk scare to talk against white supremacy.

Voting doesn't matter if u dont have your financials together as a collective.

i have to agree with Roland Martin. Just because you dont agree with voting dont use your celebrity to influence your fans (esp minorities) not to vote either.

i have to agree with Roland Martin. Just because you dont agree with voting dont use your celebrity to influence your fans (esp minorities) not to vote either.

So, is it OK when Jay-Z does it? Or Eva Longoria?

Last edited:
Pfft OH WELL.

He feels how he feels about it.

The use of that Loaded Lux line was corny as hell though.

I am NOT a Lupe fan either.

he's a cry baby drama king , if it wasn't for drug laundering we wouldn't even

know his name.that dude thinks he walks on water

Last edited:
I respect Lupe for calling these dudes we got too many grown *** black folk scare to talk against white supremacy.

Voting doesn't matter if u dont have your financials together as a collective.

wut? you couldnt possibly be srs?

So, is it OK when Jay-Z does it? Or Eva Longoria?

its a difference between backing a canidate and telling people not to vote at all. It hurts worst that its a black guy saying this given the fact that african americans spent most most of the 40s 50s and 60s getting the brakes beat off them for this right

I've said it before and I'll say it again, for someone who has the ability to write and spit as eloquently as Lupe, his ability to actually communicate in different contexts is lacking. If youre going to pride yourself and sending conscious messages through your music in an intelligible manner, how are you going to just blatantly contradict it in your day to day commentary? I dont understand it.

Its cool to have problems with the system of voting...but you have to direct your dissension.

You all realize voting is important in and of itself if we're going to have representatives in society.

Now, is your problem with the system in place? Then work to change the system in place. Whether that be addressing other ways to vote like Mixed Member Proportional or Alternative voting or other political systems that allow you to address problems of gerrymandering.

Is your problem with the candidates in the current system? Then promote the validity of the system and promote the candidate you do want.

The problem here is that Lupe, in my opinion, isn't suggesting what he DOES want.

He's basically a rabid/angsty teenager in this case. 

You don't like the system? Cool. So what your solution? I'm not telling you to be complacent...but you need to compile your disdain for the system WITH what you do want to replace it.

Its too easy to criticize and not be responsible for the change yourself. 

You don't want to vote in the current situation? Cool...but is there a system you DO want to vote in?

Or

Do you just never want to vote. Ever. In any system? 

Lets be honest. Everyone would LOVE to vote and make their voice heard...I assume at least. So in that regard don't say "I don't vote." Just say "I would rather vote in XYZ system etc." or "I would be more comfortable with XYZ changes." 

Last edited:
my favorite tweet is

"sick of you UPPITY N**GAS , martin luther king would be ashamed you yall"

thats a heaping portion of irony

Lupe's always irrational and trolling when talking about Politics. Who gives a **** about what this dude has to say about it? 
laugh.gif

Let me say this.

It is stupid not to vote, period. It's just dumb, and becomes even more loathsome when people start whining saying voting is useless and doesn't effect change or that there votes don't count.

Bull

Is it voting the instant cure all to any social ill? No, but it's the only tool you have to interface with the mechanisms of change even if it is in a very small way.

If you don't want to vote, THEN DON'T ******G COMPLAIN.

Lupe is right .Im tired of these cornball bourgeois negroes willing to play ball with whites and their instutiions .These we gotta play ball to get ahead dudes stab us in the back or outright ignore us .We practically give our votes away to democrats without pushing our agendas ,The jayzs play ball and get ahead,Dl doesn't call out Ross ,jay z,kanye or anybody else for ignorant content and promoting detrimental activities to the youth .Voting is valid but blacks aren't voting for people that help them .We aren't running nothing ,our own clothing ,politics,living ,music nothing.Cats got the nerve to get mad at lupe when lupe is right why vote for somebody who does nothing for you .Blsck people .Black people didn't get beat and murdered just to vote we got best because we wanted respect and fair treatment.We didn't get much of that we got contempt and pity .Black people won't win in this country til we realize we can't just play ball we gotta dominate and force our way in voting won't fix anything if we don't run our own cities

Where is Chief Keef?I think Chief still waiting on that work. Im just sayin.

Real Talk, though believe what you like but I vote out the respect of knowing what my grandfather and greatgrandfather fought for. I understand Lupe and I agree many are in a mental prison. Some much could be said about Black Culture and the problems we face....

Last edited:
Technically, our votes don't even count cuz of the electoral college.
Every political system has its flaws.

Now the demographics have changed since 1776, but it still forces candidates and politicians to focus on smaller states and their concerns without kowtowing only to large population zones. 

...and the problems with the electoral college:

From a comment: Although we may be a republic, we still vote for a majority of our leaders through a popular vote. Governors, Representatives, Senators, Mayors, and Judges are some of the few people we elect through popular vote. If we change the E.C. to Popular Vote to include the President, it's not going to change the fact that we are a Republic, it just means that we now elect another leader figure through popular vote.

I guess the problem is whether or not you want us to have States in the republic or just a country not composed of states... 

*sigh* 

Back
Top Bottom