Magic: the Gathering vol. Nerds, Where You At?

I visit Seattle every summer and it was weird knowing that people in college still played card games, My cousin and his freinds play yu gi oh alot and i saw a few people in the shops who played magic.

Most of the people i met who played weren't really nerd's and people couldn't tell that they played unless they saw them playing at McDonald's. The people playing magic on the other hand really did look like nerd's one guy was dressed up like an anime character 
roll.gif

And anybody who plays the card games now and go to tournaments are so deep into the game, i mean like they'll have conversations about matches and people will know how you won just by saying a few card's you drew
alien.gif

use to play it back in the days. way before the internet, i actually ordered cards from a catalog
eek.gif

had the og land destruction deck

do they still make new cards?just looking at an online price guide, and some of the cards are worth something, lol. i remember my friend stole someones "black lotus" he switched his photocopy one for the real one when dude wasnt looking, lmao

I've still got my cards around somewhere. Things started going downhill and became too OP'd after the Urza set list. I'll stop by and play with the kids every once in awhile. I think I'll have to break out my black/red deck again.

Still got a all holo out yugioh deck I play with when I go to the comic shop to pick up my weekly comics.
A secret no one will know except on Niketalk

i love me some magic, one of the funnest things ever.

wish i still played. duno anyone to play with.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Dude, if you played angels back in the day, you don't even want to know what kinds they have out now
sick.gif

Ohhh man. I remember frustrating cats with these two:

31009_1.jpg

31330_1.jpg

eek.gif
roll.gif

FOOLISH. My friends used to hate playing me because I used to stay with like 45 life and hella creatures with high defense. They took it too far with those ones though.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DMan14

use to play it back in the days. way before the internet, i actually ordered cards from a catalog
eek.gif

had the og land destruction deck

do they still make new cards?just looking at an online price guide, and some of the cards are worth something, lol. i remember my friend stole someones "black lotus" he switched his photocopy one for the real one when dude wasnt looking, lmao
eek.gif
That's foul. I used to play a little, stopped a couple years back though. School took up too much time.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

I had a BLASTER and a TRAMPLE deck.

I guess real nerds would understand me.

29004_1.jpg

deathgrasp.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Ball Lightning.

andee - check these out
laugh.gif

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Ball lightning
pimp.gif

Running red deck wins.

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Had my whole neighborhood jealous of this.

Black%20Lotus.jpg

pimp.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

brings back memories. i never actually saw one but heard mad rumors 

back in elementary school, god i was a nerd
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Moxes FTW!
Early round channel fireball
pimp.gif

i only played until the Ice Age expansion though. it's sad that they kept restricting and banning cards left and right.

My best deck was a Type 1 black/red/green land destruction deck with sinkholes, ice storms and strip mines. The red was for direct damage spells.

Originally Posted by Gameover2

Moxes FTW!
pimp.gif

i only played until the Ice Age expansion though. it's sad that they kept restricting and banning cards left and right.

My best deck was a Type 1 black/red/green land destruction deck with sinkholes, ice storms and strip mines. The red was for direct damage spells.
now this dude is og. it was a LONGGGG time ago but i vaguely remember some of my decks. pure red speed blaster deck (bolt etc
pimp.gif
) black red (with drain life?...
laugh.gif
) white and green
pimp.gif
pure blue
pimp.gif
o memories
pimp.gif

I played magic compettively for about 2 years and got out of it because of set rotations( which every game uses now anyways lol). It also didn't help that the pro series [players were huge douche bags having met a few including Johnny Magic himself, Jon Finkel.

I currently play naruto and pokemon on a competitive level. Pokemon for the scholarship money and naruto for the fun I have winning and my love for the source material

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Had my whole neighborhood jealous of this.

Black%20Lotus.jpg

pimp.gif

sweet jesus... bringing back the memories.

this hype behind this card grew to mythological proportions.  i remember making color copies and trying to play em off as the real deal.  the only place i came across a legit black lotus was at a card show.

i had no excuse for my nerd status cause I was in HS when I started playing magic.  I remember as a frosh/soph I would ditch class and go across the street to the comic book shop and spend hours playing magic.  Every last dollar I had went into buying cards. 

Not sure if any of you older heads remember, but there was a trick to screening packs prior to opening them.  I was heavy into Magic when they had Revised base set and the Legends and Dark expansions.  In the old revised packs, since the uncommon/rare card was always the 4th (i think?) card in the pack and the border of the wrapper was white plastic, you could slide down to the 4th card and read the name through the white plastic.  Granted, this only worked if you had access to the pack beforehand (and time to manipulated the cards in the pack) but assuming you could do so, it would work wonders.  I remember me and my buddy would ride our bikes to the comic book shops that had the packs out in the open and not behind a counter.  We would sit there and sift through the boxes and only pick out the ones we wanted.  Our other trick was to go to card shows and boy wrapped boxes, pick through all the packs with good cards, and then re-sell the other unopened packs to unsuspecting kids at school.  Oh the good ole days.

I was playing pretty heavily and compeitively from 2003-2007/8. It was pretty fun my group really didn't have many nerds and we lost at PTQ's because the night before we were buss down hunting. I did meet NOE with some busso pron star at the US Nationals in Baltimore in 2007, he was at the same hotel lol.

Originally Posted by dyzzle

Originally Posted by Gameover2

Moxes FTW!
pimp.gif

now this dude is og. it was a LONGGGG time ago but i vaguely remember some of my decks. pure red speed blaster deck (bolt etc
pimp.gif
) black red (with drain life?...
laugh.gif
) white and green
pimp.gif
pure blue
pimp.gif
o memories
pimp.gif

Pure red... fireball, disintigrate, lightning bolt, incinerate, lava burst.
pimp.gif

Yeah, a loooong time ago. I played from 1994 to 1995. I was skipping lunch to save enough for dual lands and rare cards from the Unlimited or Beta sets. More than half of NT were prolly still in diapers.
laugh.gif

I remember even having a death count written on my Channel card for all the channel fireball kills I've had.
pimp.gif
 I remember once or twice it got deflected back to me though.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Oh, and who can ever forget the Shivan Dragon? It was perhaps the most sought after Red creature in the early days of Magic (4th edition and earlier).

Damn, good times.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom