*Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf* Appreciation (Formerly Chris Jackson)

Dudes shot was water. One of the best free throw shooters of all time (if not the best). He averaged 30 ppg in college, scored 51 in a game once in the NBA,Participated in a dunk contest, lit up MJ.

He's 40 something and retired early from the NBA because of a lot of conflict and hate. He suffered from turrets. He still plays in Japan after severalseasons in various leagues all over the world.

Interesting articles about him:

http://www.5280.com/issues/2007/0710/feature.php?pageID=873

http://dimemag.com/2009/09/where-are-they-now-mahmoud-abdul-rauf/

Joe Budden: "Been in the game shaking like abdul-rauf."

I remember dude's jersey used to be everywhere but never knew too much about him
bookmarked for later

i remember reading once that at the end of every practice he'd shoot 10 freethrows and all ten had to go straight thru, no rattle , and they all had tomake the same sound or he'd start over. they said sometimes he'd be there for hours.

one of my favorite players back in the day
pimp.gif

In just his freshman and sophomore years, Jackson was a two-time consensus SEC Player of the Year lighting up scoreboards across America. After scoring 48 and 53 points in the first month of his college career, he went on to become the most celebrated freshman of all time, setting an NCAA freshman scoring record, averaging 30.2 points per game.

He became just the second freshman ever to make the Associated Press first-team All-America squad and the first ever to make the U.S. Basketball Writers Association's All-America team. His sophomore year was named a First-Team All-American by the AP, United States Basketball Writers Association and Naismith

He finished his short career as the seventh leading scorer in school history with 1,854 points (29.0 ppg). His records for freshman include most points in a game (55), most points in a season (965) and season average (30.2).

He won accolades throughout the country as he starred on the court while fighting an ongoing battle with Tourette's Syndrome.

smokin.gif
sick.gif

Man i remember Jackson back at LSU.....dude was all over sportscenter, I remember as a kid sittin in front of the TV checking to see how many he scored thenight before
laugh.gif

no doubt the man was dope...i mean i dont think ive ever seen him miss a free throw!

but if you disrespect my country like that then i lose respect for you...i understand you have a certain belief on things but that doesnt mean you disrespectthe people who fought and died for this country by not standing...thats like me going to a different country or a church and not showing a sign ofrespect...this gave him a bad rep

most of nt wasnt even old enough to watch him

dude was a baller. all he did was get buckets. it was crazy too, cause he also suffered from tourettes. he was also putting up 40 on a reg during his lsu days.too bad he was black balled out of the league because of the whole national anthem situation.

Most dont remember him...Dude was so nice he still avg 29 ppg w/ Shaq and Stanley Roberts on his team.

I remember reading that when he's done w/ his workout he doesnt leave the gym until he makes a jumpshot that makes the net get stuck

alittle education for the youngsters
pimp.gif

50 point game

giving mike the biz
pimp.gif

i also remember hearing a story about him getting stuck in the locker room tying his shoes over and over because of the tourettes.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

This was my dude.
pimp.gif

abdul.jpg

allllllllllllllllready.

saw countless games here in Denver, even when he was Chris Jackson. my dudes shot was BUTTER.

Mahmoud top 5 dead or alive.

Chris Jackson was ridiculous as LSU, but Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was a disasppointment as an NBA player considering he was drafted #3 overall.

Yeah, dude could shoot free throws, but what good is that when you don't earn trips on the line? He was a good 3-pt shooter, but not a great one... andonly for the 3 seasons when the NBA played temporarily shortened the 3-pt line (94-95 to 96-97). Abdul-Rauf wasn't an efficient scorer in the NBA, asevidenced by scoring only 1.07 pts per FG attempt over his career.

For an underated early/mid '90s PG, I'm rollin with Dana Barros. That man could shoot... once dropped 50 on Hakeem's Rockets on 21-26 shooting.
pimp.gif
Barros appeared in the 3-pt shootout 4 times and even earned anall-star selection, a very rare feat for a player under 6 ft tall.

BarrosPhl.JPG

Even though Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf underproduced in the NBA, we gotta appreciate his 1989-90 LSU team with Shaq and Stanley Roberts. Too bad they ran into GeorgiaTech's "Lethal Weapon III" of Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson, and Brian Oliver in the 2nd Round of the 1990 NCAA Tournmanet. That was a hell of agame between 2 great teams, LSU started the game on a 17-5 run and was even up 17 points at one point. But the Ramblin Wreck battled back to win 94-91 afterLSU missed a desperation 3 at the buzzer. Chris Jackson couldn't guard Kenny Anderson, he fouled out with 3 minutes left in the game. Georgia Tech went onto make their first Final 4 appearance.

DVD of the game is available on Amazon, but $25 is outrageous. Anybody got a copy?

LSU 1989-90
Chris Jackson (So.) - 27.8 pts, 2.5 rbs, 3.2 ast, 1.6 stl, 2.8 3pt/g, 46.1 FG%, 35.8 3pt%
Stanley Roberts (So.) - 14.1 pts, 9.8 rbs, 1.9 blk, 57.6 FG%
Shaquille O'Neal (Fr.) - 13.9 pts, 12.0 rbs, 1.2 stl, 3.6 blk, 57.3 FG%

Georgia Tech 1989-90
Dennis Scott (Jr.) - 27.7 pts, 6.6 rbs, 2.0 ast, 1.7 stl, 0.9 blk, 3.9 3pt/g, 46.5 FG%, 41.4 3pt%
Brian Oliver (Sr.) - 21.3 pts, 6.0 rbs, 3.3 ast, 1.7 3pt/g, 51.6 FG%, 38.8 3pt%
Kenny Anderson (Fr.) - 20.6 pts, 5.5 rbs, 8.1 ast, 2.3 stl, 1.4 3pt/g, 51.5 FG%, 41.0 3pt%

I'm surprised how the old heads in here did not mention that he was indeed in the Dunk Contest. Dudehad hops, quickness, a Jumper, and one of the best crossovers not to have a catchy name like the UTEP two-step.

And Juan, yes Dana Barros was good, and very underrated, but Chris/Mahmoud #+$*% on him ability-wise, and it isn't even close.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

Chris Jackson was ridiculous as LSU, but Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was a disasppointment as an NBA player considering he was drafted #3 overall.

Yeah, dude could shoot free throws, but what good is that when you don't earn trips on the line? He was a good 3-pt shooter, but not a great one... and only for the 3 seasons when the NBA played temporarily shortened the 3-pt line (94-95 to 96-97). Abdul-Rauf wasn't an efficient scorer in the NBA, as evidenced by scoring only 1.07 pts per FG attempt over his career.

For an underated early/mid '90s PG, I'm rollin with Dana Barros. That man could shoot... once dropped 50 on Hakeem's Rockets on 21-26 shooting.
pimp.gif
Barros appeared in the 3-pt shootout 4 times and even earned an all-star selection, a very rare feat for a player under 6 ft tall.

BarrosPhl.JPG

Even though Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf underproduced in the NBA, we gotta appreciate his 1989-90 LSU team with Shaq and Stanley Roberts. Too bad they ran into Georgia Tech's "Lethal Weapon III" of Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson, and Brian Oliver in the 2nd Round of the 1990 NCAA Tournmanet. That was a hell of a game between 2 great teams, LSU started the game on a 17-5 run and was even up 17 points at one point. But the Ramblin Wreck battled back to win 94-91 after LSU missed a desperation 3 at the buzzer. Chris Jackson couldn't guard Kenny Anderson, he fouled out with 3 minutes left in the game. Georgia Tech went on to make their first Final 4 appearance.

DVD of the game is available on Amazon, but $25 is outrageous. Anybody got a copy?

LSU 1989-90
Chris Jackson (So.) - 27.8 pts, 2.5 rbs, 3.2 ast, 1.6 stl, 2.8 3pt/g, 46.1 FG%, 35.8 3pt%
Stanley Roberts (So.) - 14.1 pts, 9.8 rbs, 1.9 blk, 57.6 FG%
Shaquille O'Neal (Fr.) - 13.9 pts, 12.0 rbs, 1.2 stl, 3.6 blk, 57.3 FG%

Georgia Tech 1989-90
Dennis Scott (Jr.) - 27.7 pts, 6.6 rbs, 2.0 ast, 1.7 stl, 0.9 blk, 3.9 3pt/g, 46.5 FG%, 41.4 3pt%
Brian Oliver (Sr.) - 21.3 pts, 6.0 rbs, 3.3 ast, 1.7 3pt/g, 51.6 FG%, 38.8 3pt%
Kenny Anderson (Fr.) - 20.6 pts, 5.5 rbs, 8.1 ast, 2.3 stl, 1.4 3pt/g, 51.5 FG%, 41.0 3pt%

Played on his Pro-Am team in Atlanta along with Cliff Levingston and Travis Best. B.O. wasa pure scorer, all I had to do was drive, draw, and kick it out to him and it was money. He made me look good...too easy.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

smokin.gif
sick.gif

Man i remember Jackson back at LSU.....dude was all over sportscenter, I remember as a kid sittin in front of the TV checking to see how many he scored the night before
laugh.gif
Yoooo how old are you!? :ekk
laugh.gif

i remember watching that bulls-nuggets game when i was little. I was soooooo mad. haha. Abdul-Rauf is much appreciated.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

I'm surprised how the old heads in here did not mention that he was indeed in the Dunk Contest. Dude had hops, quickness, a Jumper, and one of the best crossovers not to have a catchy name like the UTEP two-step.

And Juan, yes Dana Barros was good, and very underrated, but Chris/Mahmoud #+$*% on him ability-wise, and it isn't even close.

his crossover was lights out!

and defintely agree about the Dana Barros vs. Mahmoud statement

I cant remember who it was against, but when he hit a 3 quarter court shot at the buzzer for the win. Marv was in classic form too.

Young fellas that never got the chance to see him play...look at the second of the three video posted onthe first page. That is the kind of play Chris/Mahmoud was capable of. He dropped 40+ on the Bulls and Mike was guarding him at first, but much like Iversonwas too quick for MJ, Mahmoud was too. He could also pass the ball and play the pick and roll with the best of them. But to be honest, he could be a littleinconsistent at times, and after he switched to being Muslim his priorities changed and he lost the desire for basketball, then the Pledge of Allegiencecontroversy pretty much killed off his career.

Sad, could have been one of the best combo guards ever. I said could have.

Back
Top Bottom