*Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf* Appreciation (Formerly Chris Jackson)

Much appreciated. Dude is an inspiration.

That first article is great. Long, but great.
I ask Abdul-Rauf why he couldn't stand for a flag that allowed him to buy his mother a home, one that allowed her to live comfortably in the last 14 years of life. That allowed him to live so comfortably. That has to count for something, right? That, I say, seems to be the definition of the American Dream. He bristles. "No, it's not," he says. For a few moments, an uncomfortable silence fills the car, as Abdul-Rauf harnesses his rush of emotion into a response:
"It only becomes the American Dream when more people are able to do it, when the disparity between the rich and the poor is lessened. Just because I can do it doesn't make it a dream. The American Dream is when it's fair. When you have just a small minority controlling the wealth in this world, and the majority is struggling to make ends meet, that's not fair. I know what it's like not to have health care, to be starving when I'm in the house."

His voice is rising: "Don't get me wrong, I know in other countries you've got issues, but just because I made it, don't think that it was because of America's kindheartedness that I did it. I struggled every damn day of my life...but right across those train tracks you got all this money. How is that the American Dream?" He pounds the car dashboard with his fist.

pimp.gif

Elder, I agree.

During the 1995-1996 season, Mahmoud hit his peak in his career and I believe the departure to Sacramento is what hurt his career more the Muslim priorities. Ifirmly believe Denver didn't want the guy anymore because of his refusal to cheer with the national anthem. He went from averaging 35 minutes a game to 17in two years.

I remember hearing reports that his disease would leave him in tears and keep him from sleeping at night
frown.gif

With his damn near perfect percentage from the free throw line, slash off the dribble and unbelievable court vision, Mahmoud was on his way to become one ofthe elite in the league. Its sad what two years can do to your career...

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

people on here hype the hell out of the most random players. this guy wasnt anything special in the nba

laugh.gif
. You must've just began watching the NBA huh...

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

people on here hype the hell out of the most random players. this guy wasnt anything special in the nba

laugh.gif
im old bro so i remember the fact that he was slightly above average at best.. no one would remember this guy if it wasnt for his protesting thenational anthem. he never averaged 20+ a game. never was an all star. never considered among the best at the time. he was nothing special. sorry to break it toyou.

its like if i made a cedric ceballos appreciation post and people came in and were praising him like he was a hall of famer. its laughable.
laugh.gif

Nobody is 'praising' this guy has a HOF'er. But he did dominate a few games, a couple against players THAT ARE HOF'ers. He was the best freethrow shooter in his time and he did win Most Improved Player of the Year award.

So stop acting like he was average, because he was a very good player.

Leave Cedric Ceballos alone...young Kobe wrote his career off.

In Yo Nostril wrote:

laugh.gif
im old bro so i remember the fact that he was slightly above average at best.. no one would remember this guy if it wasnt for his protesting the national anthem. he never averaged 20+ a game. never was an all star. never considered among the best at the time. he was nothing special. sorry to break it to you.

its like if i made a cedric ceballos appreciation post and people came in and were praising him like he was a hall of famer. its laughable.
laugh.gif

Robert Parish never averaged 20 points either.
Rod Strickland was never an all-star either (nor averaged 20 points).

Yet I would consider these two great players.

Mahmoud had the best season of his career in 95-96 (19 and 7). At the age of 26, entering his true prime. And this was the season that the anthem controversyhappened and he was pushed out of the league. He is remembered as a great scorer despite being just 6'1. And he could shoot the ball. Unlike Allen Iversonwho got a lot of his points off his quickness (more so than Mahmoud), Mahmoud could've REALLY benefited from being 3-4 inches taller. And had he been, hewould've been one of the all-time great scorers in the history of the league.

Mahmoud also has the highest career FT% at .905. Mark Price is at .904. (Sarunas Jasikevicius has .908, but he played less than 2 seasons)

Slightly above average at best? GTHO.

come to think of it abdul rauf = ben gordon?

similiar size and game. guys that can get on a hot streak and drop buckets

im sorry the Kobe and LeBron post dont get annoying for you like it does for the rest of us

laugh.gif
im old bro so i remember the fact that he was slightly above average at best.. no one would remember this guy if it wasnt for his protesting the national anthem. he never averaged 20+ a game. never was an all star. never considered among the best at the time. he was nothing special. sorry to break it to you.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Every throwback post has one of these guys that posts in it...You know THAT guy that's like"Penny Hardaway was a scrub...y'all just hype him up because of his shoes". Also being old doesn't make you knowledgeable...Just think someof these NT'ers that post in here with nonsense will become old someday...still not knowing what thet heck they are talking about when it comes tosports.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Every throwback post has one of these guys that posts in it...You know THAT guy that's like "Penny Hardaway was a scrub...y'all just hype him up because of his shoes". Also being old doesn't make you knowledgeable...Just think some of these NT'ers that post in here with nonsense will become old someday...still not knowing what thet heck they are talking about when it comes to sports.
penny hardaway was legit, thats obvious to anyone who saw him. this guy was not even close to being on pennys level. but yeah i do think thatpeople on this website hype penny up way too much. he got hurt, it is what it is. people on here make him out like hes some mysterious legend though dude.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

im sorry the Kobe and LeBron post dont get annoying for you like it does for the rest of us
its annoying but at least they have done something to deserve it.

In Yo Nostril wrote:

Animal Thug1539 wrote:

In Yo Nostril wrote:

laugh.gif
im old bro so i remember the fact that he was slightly above average at best.. no one would remember this guy if it wasnt for his protesting the
national anthem. he never averaged 20+ a game. never was an all star. never considered among the best at the time. he was nothing special. sorry to break it
to you.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Every throwback post has one of these guys that posts in it...You know THAT guy that's like
"Penny Hardaway was a scrub...y'all just hype him up because of his shoes". Also being old doesn't make you knowledgeable...Just think some
of these NT'ers that post in here with nonsense will become old someday...still not knowing what thet heck they are talking about when it comes to
sports.

penny hardaway was legit, thats obvious to anyone who saw him. this guy was not even close to being on pennys level. but yeah i do think that people on this website hype penny up way too much. he got hurt, it is what it is. people on here make him out like hes some mysterious legend though dude.
laugh.gif

I find it funny/weird that you think that Penny was legit yet he barely came over the averaging 20 ppg barier that you used as a reason for why Mahmoudwasn't legit.

pimp.gif
beast.. best free throw shooter ever... and he was the quickest or one of the quickest with the ball in his hand in the mid 90's.. and of course thatjumper...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

In Yo Nostril wrote:

Animal Thug1539 wrote:

In Yo Nostril wrote:

laugh.gif
im old bro so i remember the fact that he was slightly above average at best.. no one would remember this guy if it wasnt for his protesting the
national anthem. he never averaged 20+ a game. never was an all star. never considered among the best at the time. he was nothing special. sorry to break it
to you.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Every throwback post has one of these guys that posts in it...You know THAT guy that's like
"Penny Hardaway was a scrub...y'all just hype him up because of his shoes". Also being old doesn't make you knowledgeable...Just think some
of these NT'ers that post in here with nonsense will become old someday...still not knowing what thet heck they are talking about when it comes to
sports.

penny hardaway was legit, thats obvious to anyone who saw him. this guy was not even close to being on pennys level. but yeah i do think that people on this website hype penny up way too much. he got hurt, it is what it is. people on here make him out like hes some mysterious legend though dude.
laugh.gif

I find it funny/weird that you think that Penny was legit yet he barely came over the averaging 20 ppg barier that you used as a reason for why Mahmoud wasn't legit.

you are right. being 23 years old and averaging 21 and 7 and being a huge part of a team that went to the nba finals is exactly the same as everything mahmouddid in the league. i apologize

In Yo Nostril wrote:

ElderWatsonDiggs wrote:

In Yo Nostril wrote:

Animal Thug1539 wrote:

In Yo Nostril wrote:

laugh.gif
im old bro so i remember the fact that he was slightly above average at best.. no one would remember this guy if it wasnt for his protesting
the

national anthem. he never averaged 20+ a game. never was an all star. never considered among the best at the time. he was nothing special. sorry to break
it

to you.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

"Penny Hardaway was a scrub...y'all just hype him up because of his shoes". Also being old doesn't make you knowledgeable...Just think
some

sports.

penny hardaway was legit, thats obvious to anyone who saw him. this guy was not even close to being on pennys level. but yeah i do think that
people on this website hype penny up way too much. he got hurt, it is what it is. people on here make him out like hes some mysterious legend though dude.
laugh.gif

I find it funny/weird that you think that Penny was legit yet he barely came over the averaging 20 ppg barier that you used as a reason for why Mahmoud
wasn't legit.

you are right. being 23 years old and averaging 21 and 7 and being a huge part of a team that went to the nba finals is exactly the same as everything mahmoud did in the league. i apologize

No it's not. But it's amazing how you can put such a positive spin on a 23 year-old averaging 21 and 7 and such a negative spin on a 26 year-oldaveraging 19 and 7 as if they're from different planets. And this is in no way to downgrade Penny, just your flawed logic.

In Yo Nostril wrote:

ElderWatsonDiggs wrote:

In Yo Nostril wrote:

Animal Thug1539 wrote:

In Yo Nostril wrote:

laugh.gif
im old bro so i remember the fact that he was slightly above average at best.. no one would remember this guy if it wasnt for his protesting
the

national anthem. he never averaged 20+ a game. never was an all star. never considered among the best at the time. he was nothing special. sorry to break
it

to you.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

"Penny Hardaway was a scrub...y'all just hype him up because of his shoes". Also being old doesn't make you knowledgeable...Just think
some

sports.

penny hardaway was legit, thats obvious to anyone who saw him. this guy was not even close to being on pennys level. but yeah i do think that
people on this website hype penny up way too much. he got hurt, it is what it is. people on here make him out like hes some mysterious legend though dude.
laugh.gif

I find it funny/weird that you think that Penny was legit yet he barely came over the averaging 20 ppg barier that you used as a reason for why Mahmoud
wasn't legit.

you are right. being 23 years old and averaging 21 and 7 and being a huge part of a team that went to the nba finals is exactly the same as everything mahmoud did in the league. i apologize

No it's not. But it's amazing how you can put such a positive spin on a 23 year-old averaging 21 and 7 and such a negative spin on a 26 year-old averaging 19 and 7 as if they're from different planets. And this is in no way to downgrade Penny, just your flawed logic.

one did it on a crappy team and one on a good team. thats why i can look at it differently. i can show you plenty of dudes in the 1990s that put up 19 a nightwhile playing on #+@@@$ teams. and penny was consistently tearing it up before he got hurt. mahmoud never was above 5 apg other than that year. you cantcompare the 2 players.

i guess mediocre is a more appropriate word than crappy. the nuggets were irrelevant either way besides their 1 playoff series miracle.

No it's not. But it's amazing how you can put such a positive spin on a 23 year-old averaging 21 and 7 and such a negative spin on a 26 year-old averaging 19 and 7 as if they're from different planets. And this is in no way to downgrade Penny, just your flawed logic.

They are certainly from differently planets.

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf had loads of talent, but he wasn't able to put it together in the NBA to ever be a productive player. Yes, he got buckets, but he did soat the cost of his team by scoring in an highly inefficient manner.

In Abdul-Rauf's best season, when he averaged 19.2 pts and 6.8 ast, he attempted 16.8 FG per game to get those 19.2 pts. That equates to 1.10 pts per FGattempt, which is very inefficient. As a point of reference, the NBA average was 1.24 pts per FG attempt in 1995-96. In the league today, Raymond Felton wouldbe the closest comparison in terms of inefficient scoring.

Conversely, Penny Hardaway put up 21.7 pts that same year on only 14.8 FG attempts per game. That's 1.47 pts per FG attempt, which is way above average.

So yes, Penny's and Abdul-Rauf's lines are very different. One was remarkly efficient and one was very inefficent. Another measure of efficiency is PER(Player Efficiency Rating which measures per-minute production standardized so the league average is 15). In 1995-96, Penny had a 24.6 PER to Abdul-Rauf's18.6 PER (and going back to my original argument, Barros had a higher PER than Abdul-Rauf over his career). The correlation between scoring efficiently andwinning games in the NBA is very strong.

Back
Top Bottom