Maintenance on BMW 3 series?

Im looking to sell my 01 Lexus IS300 so that I can purchase an 04 BMW 330ci ZHP. Im kind of getting tired of my IS and looking to get something with 2 doors that is more fun to drive. My Lexus has been reliable to me over the years but I have never owned a BMW so im not too familiar with maintenance on those vehicles. To the BMW owners in here how do the E46 series hold up in terms of reliability/maintenance?

it will be more than the lexus for sure. EVERYTHING is more expensive, from parts to labor, hell even oil changes are like $80-100. and let's say something big breaks down, or something electrical...you're looking at thousands of dollars. on the other hand, it might not give you any trouble at all. but that's a risk you're going to have to take buying a bmw out of warranty.

although it won't drive like a bmw, maybe look into a G35 or 350z since they'll be less to maintain.

Used Bimmers out of warranty are nothing but trouble unless your a great mechanic or know one that likes to do work for free.

Make sure you buy an e46 with a DETAILED maintenace history. Also how many miles does the car have? at 100k the cooling system has to be overhauled. You're looking at 2-3k if you dont know how to do it yourself. It will fail eventually, but if you wait that long then you might cause damage to the engine.

Whats been said so far is the truth. Unless you have some disposable income handy (1000-4000 at any given time) or are mechanically inclined, maintenance will be a headache.

I had 2 front struts (one was leaking) replaced recently, and it ended up costing me around 3K. The E46s are a little more reliable than the E90s though, but my E90 is a nightmare.

Make sure you buy an e46 with a DETAILED maintenace history. Also how many miles does the car have? at 100k the cooling system has to be overhauled. You're looking at 2-3k if you dont know how to do it yourself. It will fail eventually, but if you wait that long then you might cause damage to the engine.

Cooling system over-haul cost 2-3k? Wth :lol:

Bro, maintenance is $ on any car. BMW cost a little more but, it's worth it. Look at it like this; if something goes wrong at 100k miles and you replace it, most likely you will be good for another 100k miles. So, you'll spend money but, won't have to again for a while. You HAVE to HAVE someone that knows what he's doing though as for labor or do it your self. In my personal opinion it cost more $ but, it's worth it. If you do end up getting the bimmer PM me and I'll tell you how to get that "2-3k" cooling system over-haul to cost $900-$1200.

Last edited:
Whats been said so far is the truth. Unless you have some disposable income handy (1000-4000 at any given time) or are mechanically inclined, maintenance will be a headache.
I had 2 front struts (one was leaking) replaced recently, and it ended up costing me around 3K. The E46s are a little more reliable than the E90s though, but my E90 is a nightmare.
$2-3k for struts and labor? 
sick.gif

9 year old 3 series? No thanks. That'll be way more trouble than it's worth. Unless you get a pristine, extremely low mileage, and detailed service history on it then maybe. But if not i wouldn't do it. Your money though.

My body is ready :lol:
My e92 only has 20k miles no problems so far

Bro, maintenance is $ on any car. BMW cost a little more but, it's worth it. Look at it like this; if something goes wrong at 100k miles and you replace it, most likely you will be good for another 100k miles. So, you'll spend money but, won't have to again for a while. You HAVE to HAVE someone that knows what he's doing though as for labor or do it your self. In my personal opinion it cost more $ but, it's worth it. If you do end up getting the bimmer PM me and I'll tell you how to get that "2-3k" cooling system over-haul to cost $900-$1200.

If he gets it at a dealer with parts and labor for radiator, waterpump, thermostat, hoses, expansion tank and anything else it may need...then yea its that much. I work at BMW and deal with this DAILY.

Now thats not to say you may not be able to get it lower at a indy shop....

Last edited:
I appreciate you guys' input. Im still taking the maintenance cost into consideration. My boys is telling me I should just mod the IS but ive been wanting to get myself a bimmer for a while now.
Here's the one im interested in btw
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962733&highlight=zhp

Nice looking ZHP and low miles. But its a salvaged title. Personally i would never touch a salvage titled car. No matter what the reason is.
If you really want it, have a Pre purchase inspection on it. Make sure there is no frame damage AT ALL

If you can find an E46 M3 with a good maintenance history I'd shoot for that instead. Just be sure to stay away from SMG because it is just too complicated with it's hydraulic and pump system. If something goes bad, you will have to shell out more $$ for repairs opposed with the standard manual. Another thing to be aware of is the VANOS system(loose bolts/broken tabs) but you can check/DIY those if you a mechanically competent. One other thing is the rear subframe is susceptible to cracking if abused(burnouts/hard launches) but lots of enthusiast have a reinforcement kit welded on. You will save so much money if you DIY yourself or even find a reputable dependent BMW shop, just never, ever, take the car to a dealership. You will pay 2-3x the cost if you do a simple job yourself. Lots and lots of DIY's on M3forum/E46fanatics but only do you learn more about your car but the knowledge you gain will be beneficial to have.

I have an 2003.5 E46 M3 with 78k miles on it. It is my DD and take it to 8k a few times a day when I get the opportunity(no I do not launch or do burnouts) and I would say it drives better and smoother then when I bought it 3 years ago but of course putting in account fluid changes, tires, brakes, preventative maintenance stuff...

If he gets it at a dealer with parts and labor for radiator, waterpump, thermostat, hoses, expansion tank and anything else it may need...then yea its that much. I work at BMW and deal with this DAILY.

Now thats not to say you may not be able to get it lower at a indy shop....

People with cars that are out of warranty actually go to the dealer to get work done? :wow: Parts don't cost that much though I know this for a fact and if you buy from online they're way cheaper. I get 30% off at the dealer and I still don't shop there for parts.

OP, car is SEXY but, salvage? Don't do it. Look for another bimmer. (Didn't read ad going off of what GS said :lol:) I have my 03' E39 for about 3 1/2 years. I bought it with 26K miles and it has 92K right now and as of now if I was to sell and buy another it would be another bimmer. I was thinking about getting a 300CI drop top this past summer but decided not to take on the expense of having TWO cars(bimmers). :lol:

Last edited:
What have you done to the IS so far?

Since I purchased the IS I managed to put a Apexi WS2 catback exhaust, K&N intake, and tints (35% on the sides 20% on the rear glass) and I have a pair of 3000k HID fogs that I got in the garage that I was planning on installing when it gets a lil warmer out. Dont get me wrong its a nice car but I really wish it was manual transmission which would make driving a lil bit more fun.

$2-3k for struts and labor? :x

Pssh cats in here love to get ganked wit outta warranty bimmers :lol:

Nice looking ZHP and low miles. But its a salvaged title. Personally i would never touch a salvage titled car. No matter what the reason is.
If you really want it, have a Pre purchase inspection on it. Make sure there is no frame damage AT ALL

Same thing I was going to say. There's a ton of options out there, never settle for salvaged. They always say how the car drives fine blah blah, it was only a fender bender blah blah, highway miles blah blah, the dude's probably selling because he can't afford the maintenance on it :rolleyes

I'm not sure of your financial situation, but if the IS isn't giving you any trouble, just keep it until you can lease a new BMW or finance one with extended warranty. I wanted to buy a BMW since I was 9 years old. I had to wait 16 years to get one but I'm glad I got a brand new one that's trouble free rather than buying a 10 year old used one that's a money pit.

Imagine an absolutely beautiful car made of ice...

Imagine how nice it looks and how much pleasure it brings you every time you look at it....

Now imagine that same car made of ice..... after an hour in the Sahara Desert....

Thats how you'll feel about the Bimmer as soon as start driving it and things start to break...

Look for another Bimmer, OP.
Car in question has been in accidents and owner wants $13K on top of that :x
You could get an E90 at that price

Back
Top Bottom