Making molds to rebuild OG's air bags?

Hi everyone! Does anybody ever thought of rebuilding the air units of our beloved OGs by peeling off the sole, removing the cracked TPU, making a mold of the structure supporting the inflated TPU bag and rebulding it with a heated press, sheets of correct thickness TPU and a can of nitrogen?
What material could be more suitable for the mold considering it has to be heated to print the TPU?
Can the mold be made with 3d scanning and a 3d printer?
I mean it's a bit complex but I'm wondering if someone with the skills and tools ever tried or planned to do this.

Attachments

• s-l16002.jpg
    s-l16002.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 194
I have explored the 3D printing concept but it needed a lot more time / patience. Seems like a no-brainer, especially for those talented restoration craftsmen. I am surprised all the “fake” vendors do not sell the parts, either…have you seen all the mid soles on Alibaba? If customizers have access to NIKE AIR tabs, these should be more readily available, too 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have explored the 3D printing concept but it needed a lot more time / patience. Seems like a no-brainer, especially for those talented restoration craftsmen. I am surprised all the “fake” vendors do not sell the parts, either…have you seen all the mid soles on Alibaba? If customizers have access to NIKE AIR tabs, these should be more readily available, too 🤷🏻‍♂️
Thanks for the tips, I didn't know those mid soles were available on Alibaba, I took a quick look but couldn't spot any suitable one for a faithful restoration, even for recent shoe models...maybe trying to get infos of availability from customizers.. but the air bags of recent reissues of the models I'm interested in restoring are all smaller and look poor if compared to the OGs (Uptempos all, Pippen, Cris Webber...).
In any case the process of rebuilding the air bags requires a very skilled craftsman to remove the sole and separate the parts without destroying it all beside the mold being made with 3d printing or manually.
I first thought of using alginate or silicon for the molds... I have the skills to do it manually but I don't have all the tools and the time at the moment...

I have a pair of Penny 2 OGs that I am going to replace the air bubble with insoles cut to size and thickness to fill the air bubble space and then paint them to hopefully get a better look. I will post pics once I do it but Im waiting for my dang glue to show up in the mail.

I have a pair of Penny 2 OGs that I am going to replace the air bubble with insoles cut to size and thickness to fill the air bubble space and then paint them to hopefully get a better look. I will post pics once I do it but Im waiting for my dang glue to show up in the mail.
Update?

So I’m close to having them put together minus the air bubble replacement. Once that is done I will post again, here they are now. OGs are so beautiful even in worn condition.
B11513B8-8145-4F99-9D31-6B91900C232F.jpeg

37A58C9B-005A-4CA8-BA5E-E1D66457A36D.jpeg

1CCAD6A5-891C-4AAA-81C5-A738B7BC98AC.jpeg
Pefect shoe for me too, I have the OG white-Blue colorway. Keep us updated because I need mine done too.

I remember years back trydan trydan (I think that was his username) used some clear plastic tubing on some uptempo 2s. If I remember correctly, it didn’t look half bad.

Scrolled through his IG, and can’t find the pics with the tubing, but here’s some pics of him using zoom bags that look pretty cool, and probably feel amazing.

Edit: found it. This was way earlier than the zoom bags.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom